sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2023 8:08 am  #1

New Sporting Event Contract Means OTA Viewers Can Soon Watch This

Those with an antenna who get the ION stations on Channel 51, a very strong signal into the GTA, may be interested to know they'll soon have another sports option - WNBA games. Scripps has signed a deal to bring weekly games to its ION network. 

They'll show 44 games over 15 weeks on Friday nights, with a few regional only matches thrown in. They start on May 26th for anyone interested in following the league.   

WNBA partners with Scripps to broadcast Friday night games

April 21, 2023 8:15 am  #2

Re: New Sporting Event Contract Means OTA Viewers Can Soon Watch This

Very little interest in the NBA. I can at least name all the teams in the league. Zero interest in the WNBA. Definitely could not name one team or player.

April 21, 2023 8:35 am  #3

A lot of people feel that way. I doubt it will get a lot of eyeballs. But at least it's one way for those interested in the league to see the games if they choose. And on free TV no less. ION has nothing to lose - it's otherwise endless reruns. 

April 21, 2023 8:50 am  #4

Sports fans almost always subscribe to TSN and Sportsnet.  Both have carried the WNBA for years.  Virtually nobody in Toronto will be watching ION for this.  In fact does anyone in Toronto watch ION?

April 21, 2023 10:28 am  #5

My comment was primarily to point out that it's on free TV for those who might follow the league. That's becoming increasingly rare.