sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2023 10:54 am  #1

Fox News "Election Fraud" Lawsuit May Be A Real Life "Succession"

The case, which centres on accusations that Dominion voting machines were rigged in favour of Democrats, begins Monday, and may be as entertaining as the fictional HBO show. 

"Winning a defamation case is hard and expensive. Usually people settle. Dominion isn’t settling, and that’s bad news for Fox. It suggests Dominion is more interested in punishment than a payout."

Fox News Defamation Lawsuit May Be A Real Life "Succession"

April 14, 2023 4:55 pm  #2

Re: Fox News "Election Fraud" Lawsuit May Be A Real Life "Succession"

This likely wouldn't be allowed, but it would really put the well-deserved screws to Fox if they were forced to admit (on all shows, multiple times) that they willingly lied to their audience.

I suspect that the average Fox user gets their "news" from no other source and will likely never hear of a verdict finding Fox at fault.

April 14, 2023 5:02 pm  #3

I wonder if they'll cover it at all. Ignorance is bliss.

April 14, 2023 5:55 pm  #4

RonaldS wrote:

This likely wouldn't be allowed, but it would really put the well-deserved screws to Fox if they were forced to admit (on all shows, multiple times) that they willingly lied to their audience.
I suspect that the average Fox user gets their "news" from no other source and will likely never hear of a verdict finding Fox at fault.

It could go a few different ways. Some audience members won't be convinced by a court ruling. The courts will be seen as Elitist and spewers of Fake News. Others will see any Fox admissions as sellout and go on to harder-edged channels. Let's see the decision first...a court case ain't over till it's over.

April 16, 2023 12:01 am  #5

Reports indicate Dominion, the company that's suing the network, will be putting some of the channel's biggest stars - including Tucker Carlson - on the stand.

Under oath.

It means all of those who deliberately said one thing on the air and the direct opposite when the mics were off will have to explain themselves. 

I just hope they allow cameras in the courtroom and this gets televised somewhere. I can't wait to see how they try to explain what they did. Never mind the possible writers' strike. This could well be the most interesting unscripted TV event of the year.  

April 16, 2023 10:27 am  #6

This should be covered with the intensity of the Simpson trial.

April 16, 2023 10:32 am  #7

so kinda like "If the ballot doesn't fit, you must acquit"  ?

April 16, 2023 3:12 pm  #8

It's amazing how, even though they've been caught red-handed, they still tried to futz with the facts - and not just on air, but in front of the presiding judge, hardly a way to get things off to a good start. As the AP article shows, he's having none of it. 

Fox News and 2020 election lies set to face jury come Monday

I openly wondered in some of these threads whether Fox would even cover the story on air. They haven't been in any major way so far, but on Sunday, Howard Kurtz - who hosts their weekly media show - finally made reference to it, in a three-minute promise that he'd be in the courtroom and would bring his viewers the story. The article indicates that Fox had forbid him to even mention it before now, and they're finally being forced to at least pay some cursory attention to it. 

We'll see if they keep that pledge if things go badly for them.

You can see Kurtz's vow in the story below. 

Fox News Host Howard Kurtz: ‘It’s Been a Very Rough Week for Fox’ 

April 16, 2023 8:40 pm  #9

CBC News Channel has a big  scoop.  The Dominion-Fox case has been delayed a day until Tuesday.  Ex CNN media guy Brian Stelter is on CBC News Network  right now.  Speculation is Fox has made an 11th hour huge offer to Dominion to keep this from going to trial.  This is not the first buy out attempt and so far Dominion has said no and wants a public apology.  This story has been headline news everywhere except Fox News. 

April 16, 2023 9:15 pm  #10

Interesting. Fox owner Rupert Murdoch has a history of buying his way out of trouble rather than letting anything harmful get out in public. But my understanding is that Dominion wants to make a point and prove to the public that nothing was fixed. It really wants to make Fox pay for its fictions. 

I hope they go ahead with the trial. But sometimes there's too much money to turn down. 

On the Arlene Bynon-hosted Roy Green Show Sunday, she had a guest on who reminded listeners that if Dominion were to win its $1 billion plus suit, there would still be punitive damages to follow, which could also add up to astronomical amounts. So if Fox is offering a settlement, it's going to have to be stunning. 

April 16, 2023 10:41 pm  #11

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1647692956374114311?t=s9jAgvyQU1_DCTRoPvfcsw&s=19

eye opening thread from Brian Stelter, the trial hasn't even started yet and the judge has rapped Fox on the knuckles and it gets better, or worse if you're Fox

April 17, 2023 8:39 am  #12

The judge who delayed the trial by one day is going to make an announcement around 9 this morning.  Apparently Fox is still trying to settle this case out of court.  So we could hear the reason for the delay or possibly there could be a settlement announcement.  Fox has said that even if they were to lose the case, the $1.6 billion Dominion is asking is too high.  They claim any damage done to the company would not be worth near that amount.  

I have been watching Fox and Friends off and on this morning but so far nothing I have seen on the story.  Lots of coverage on Gov. De Santis and Disney, videos showing store owners beating up robbers, the trans Bud Light ad uproar continues, the mass shootings over the weekend, the Democrats attacking athlete Riley Gaines and a preview of Tucker Carlson interviewing Elon Musk on the rise of A.I.  And lots of My Pillow ads..  

April 17, 2023 8:47 am  #13

It's been established through numerous sources that top brass have forbidden the network from covering - or even mentioning - the story on its airwaves. So if you're looking for stories about Fox on Fox, you're going to be out of luck, with the exception of Howard Kurtz's Sunday media show, which addressed it once in a three minute segment over the weekend. 

Recent reports indicate many Fox viewers are well aware of what's going on, but continue to watch the channel anyway.

I personally hope this goes forward. Seeing how Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and even Rupert Murdoch explain the inexplicable will be too good to miss.  

April 17, 2023 8:58 am  #14

All of this political internal and external interference from Fox just proves the worth of a public broadcaster like CBC, NPR or BBC.  

April 17, 2023 11:36 am  #15

A worthwhile opinion piece, that outlines other sins of the past by Rupert Murdoch and his questionably ethical operating methods. Some I knew about. Others I'm reading about for the first time. None of them, however, surprise me. 

If this case actually proceeds and Dominion wins, I wonder: could someone sue Fox News for using the term "News" in its title as false advertising?

"It fired the two guys who ran the Decision Desk, which was the first to call Biden as the winner in Arizona, which was the crucial call that propelled him to victory. Fox fired the two people trying to do news. The people doing propaganda, it kept and protected, and most of them are still on the air."

Don’t Settle, Dominion! Drag Fox News Across the Hot Coals

April 17, 2023 11:48 am  #16

paterson1 wrote:

All of this political internal and external interference from Fox just proves the worth of a public broadcaster like CBC, NPR or BBC.  

+5  : )) .. 

April 17, 2023 1:32 pm  #17

https://twitter.com/MooreintheAM/status/1648013557831704585?t=NoYbOnLCWdCqiAnQ690rZg&s=19

proof that Fox News doesn't know when to stop digging

Last edited by betaylored (April 17, 2023 1:59 pm)

April 17, 2023 5:12 pm  #18

The plot thickens. Or as Steve Allen used to say, the thick plottens. Fox shareholders are looking into what happened and may hold those in charge accountable, regardless of the Dominion lawsuit.

"Investors are using provisions in Delaware corporate law to demand internal Fox records to investigate how Fox's leaders acted as its Fox News network aired segments on Trump's false claims that he lost the 2020 presidential election due to voter fraud, two sources confirmed.

In moves not previously reported, shareholders are looking for records such as board minutes, emails and texts that may contain evidence that Fox directors and executives were derelict by allowing the network to air the false claims.

The shareholders could use these as well as evidence presented in other lawsuits to build a case for the leaders to be held personally liable for costs from two defamation cases by voting-machine companies over the Fox coverage."

Fox investors seek records in possible step toward suing directors

April 18, 2023 4:49 pm  #19

April 18, 2023 5:07 pm  #20

Unfortunate, short-sighted and foolish on Dominion's part.

April 18, 2023 5:11 pm  #21

A hugely disappointing, if not unsurprising result. How ironic they operate the same way their fake hero Trump does - delay as long as possible, then settle to avoid technically being found guilty of anything in a court of law. At least they've been forced to admit it publicly, although I'm sure their viewers will never hear about it. 

I'm also unhappy that there doesn't seem to be a provision in the settlement that requires Fox to go on air a certain number of times and read a statement about their actions to viewers. That most certainly should have been part of any agreement. 

In the end, my fear is a few weeks will go by, everyone will forget, and it will be business as usual at the place that has nerve to use the word "News" in its name. I understand why Dominion went for it, but what a terrible way to let Rupert Murdoch and his family buy themselves out of it - again.

April 18, 2023 5:21 pm  #22

If there's anything positive in this, the Smartmatic suit is continuing. One hopes they will demonstrate more resolve in damaging Fox News.

April 18, 2023 5:22 pm  #23

CNN's Jake Tapper read Fox's official statement on air, and couldn't keep from laughing through most of it, apologizing to viewers. You can see it here. 

April 18, 2023 6:22 pm  #24

If you ever needed a way to summarize how this story is being reported (or not), check out the front pages of the Big 3 news channels in the U.S. 

CNN:

MSNBC:

FOX NEWS:

April 18, 2023 6:51 pm  #25

This was the best outcome that Fox could have hoped for, but still hurts them.  Having Rupert Murdoch and many of their "stars" take the stand would have been a disaster.  For Dominion it was very unlikely that they would have received anywhere near $1.6 billion had they won.  They may have ended up with about the same amount with the settlement without the ordeal and expense of a six week trial. 

Dominion is not a big company.  They only have about 200 employees, many of them based in Toronto which is where the business was founded. They are valued at between $80-100 million.  So for them this settlement and anything else that could come is a complete windfall for their image, monetarily, and 100% validation for the company. Dominion is now a much different company than yesterday.

Fox lawyers have refused to speak to the media, so do we in fact know if there will or will not be an apology or some further acknowledgment?  All of the facts of the settlement may not be known yet. 

Regardless this large payment of $787.5 million does nothing to help the image of the network and will do nothing to bring back many of the big advertisers that no longer partner with Fox News Network.

Media that tries to be ethical, don't purposely lie and mislead, and employ professional journalists on air would not write a cheque for over three quarters of a billion to settle a case.  This could just be the first shoe to fall. 

Last edited by paterson1 (April 18, 2023 7:08 pm)

April 18, 2023 7:13 pm  #26

They also face similar allegations from another company, and that one is suing for over $2 billion. Any bet the same outcome is in the works? 

The problem, to me, is not that they weren't made to confess what they did. As a bit of a news purist, I'm more upset that their on-air personalities will never be forced to testify in open court, under oath, about the deliberate and worse, knowing lies they told. What they did caused - and continues to cause - serious damage to democracy and has only intensified suspicions some have against government, where EVERYTHING is a conspiracy. 

I, for one, and I suspect I'm not alone, would have gotten great satisfaction to hear them admit this in open court for all the world to see. But alas, it won't happen and they will pay out the money and go blithely on doing the exact same thing. Money paid, Lesson unlearned.  

Maybe the worst part, though, is that the audience that so blindly follows the channel will likely never know or even believe their heroes were at fault and committed the single most egregious sin any so-called "news" organization ever could - openly and deliberately lying to their audience. 

This is one Fox hunt that didn't have a satisfying ending. 

April 19, 2023 6:43 am  #27

There's still a chance the open airing and questioning under oath of its two-faced correspondents could happen in court. The real question is who will talk louder in the follow-up case - the liars or their money?

Fox News avoided a worst-case scenario — but it isn't out of the woods yet

April 19, 2023 8:45 am  #28

Sadly, many Faux News viewers (a few are right here on this board) either won't hear about this "settlement" (certainly not from Fox), and will continue to believe the bullshit served on that channel.

They'd rather remain protected from the truth, while remaining angry at the rest of humanity. They just can't save themselves.

As for foreign interference in Western elections, there is no worse, lying, negative influence than what comes from Rupert Murdoch, that Australian export who has poisoned the well here, there and everywhere he has influence. A pox on his house.

April 19, 2023 8:52 am  #29

Apparently zero people at CP24 - based on three TV hits I've seen and their website - know that this was a Toronto-founded company despite it being in the news consistently for 3 years.

April 19, 2023 9:48 am  #30

Fleadh wrote:

Apparently zero people at CP24 - based on three TV hits I've seen and their website - know that this was a Toronto-founded company despite it being in the news consistently for 3 years.

Dominion lists their head office as being in Denver and Toronto.  Every time the CEO was interviewed on CNN prior to the trial he was in Toronto. Sometimes Canadian companies need to play down their Canadian roots in the US since some Americans want to do business with US based companies.  This is likely why they have Denver as one of their head offices. But Dominion definitely was founded and originated here and Toronto is a major part of the operation still.