sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2023 11:15 am  #1

Soap Opera Anniversaries

The Young & The Restless celebrated its 50th anniversary on Monday night with a one hour CBS special. The actual anniversary date was March 26th. It has been the top rated soap since 1988 and has been renewed until 2024. That doesn't mean much today since there are only two other sudsers remaining on broadcast television, Bold and Beautiful and General Hospital, Speaking of GH, April 1st, marks its 60th year on the air.

March 28, 2023 11:34 am  #2

Re: Soap Opera Anniversaries

Here's a real weird artifact from Y&R, which I have to admit I've never watched. I'm not entirely sure of the genesis of this, but it looks like Global had acquired rights to the show in Canada in 1984 and I'm guessing knowing that, the station that was losing the soap pulled it from its own airwaves in order not to promote a competitor. 

The result was this odd ad:

March 28, 2023 11:41 am  #3

CHCH had the Canadian rights to the Y&R before Global. In both cases, you could watch an episode the day before the CBS airing.

March 28, 2023 11:43 am  #4

mace wrote:

you could watch an episode the day before the CBS airing.

Still the case to this day... Global airs new episodes a day ahead of CBS, and if the show is pre-empted on CBS, Global will often schedule a different show in Y&R's place, if not a rerun.

March 28, 2023 12:45 pm  #5

mace wrote:

CHCH had the Canadian rights to the Y&R before Global. In both cases, you could watch an episode the day before the CBS airing.

This was specific to Ontario/Toronto; I don’t think these were Canada-wide rights.

In BC Y&R aired on CHEK, at the time a CTV affiliate, throughout most of the 1980s. In the 90s it did eventually move to CKVU Vancouver, which aired a lot of content from Global even before they came under common ownership.

In any event I have never seen a full episode of Y&R, but for years I saw the last minute or so of the show as well as the credits, as it came on right before First News on Global which my family watched. So the Y&R music, to me, is heavily associated with that newscast.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 28, 2023 12:48 pm)

March 28, 2023 1:07 pm  #6

Same time everyday on Global 4:30pm YNR.  This time slot hasn't changed since 1984. 

March 28, 2023 1:15 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

So the Y&R music, to me, is heavily associated with that newscast.

That music came to be known as "Nadia's Theme," after the Olympic gymnast who used it in her medial winning routines in 1976. But what I think most people don't know is that it was originally called "Cotton's Theme" after one of the characters in the movie "Bless The Beasts & The Children." It's played in a key scene involving that character near the end of the film, which I won't spoil here. 

One of my all time favourite movies.

March 28, 2023 1:15 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

Same time everyday on Global 4:30pm YNR.  This time slot hasn't changed since 1984. 

Actually it was 1986.  But close. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 28, 2023 2:00 pm  #9

Bill Dulmage wrote:

My off and on soap over the years is now the oldest - General Hospital or GH.

My mom used to watch Days (which aired at 11am back then on CHCH), AMC, One Life to Live, Guiding Light and Y&R on CHCH.  We all watched the last one.  Vic Cummings used to step in on the half hour with Community Happenings, with added dialogue about the show.  This led to an influx of letters, and eventually a soap opera commentator career for a short while.

He even made an appearance on a Y&R episode.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 28, 2023 2:35 pm  #10

Bill Dulmage wrote:

My off and on soap over the years is now the oldest - General Hospital or GH.

GH is where a lot of future stars got their first big exposure. I was frankly surprised by the last one on the list. This is from this week's U.S. TV Guide:

March 28, 2023 3:07 pm  #11

I was surprised by the headline, given that I thought this group's song would have been pretty much forgotten.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Afternoon_Delights

March 29, 2023 8:26 am  #12

Don Knotts got his start on Search For Tomorrow in 1952. I found the actual episode on the Uncle Earl's site.