sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2023 8:16 pm  #1

The Academy Awards

And I thought the Superbowl was over the top with pre-game coverage. Well ABC won't be outdone. From 1pm-5:30pm  you can watch "On the Red Carpet Live: Countdown to the Oscars. After a 60 minute break for World News Tonight and Local News, "Countdown to the Oscars" continues for another 90 minutes until the actual telecast begins at 8pm. I won't be watching any of it.

March 6, 2023 8:56 pm  #2

Re: The Academy Awards

Second most watched TV event of the year, after the Super Bowl. So yeah, they're going to wring out every dime. Although unlike the football game, the audience for the Oscars has been shrinking over the years. COVID didn't help, since no one went to the movies for two years and didn't see a lot of the nominated films. Plus, there's too much choice on streaming to get as many eyeballs as it once did. 

I'm thinking a lot of people may tune in the beginning half hour just to see what host Jimmy Kimmel says about the Will Smith/Chris Rock debacle from last year. Otherwise, I, too won't be watching. 

March 6, 2023 10:45 pm  #3

I'll definitely tune in for Kimmel.  I'm a big fan. 

March 6, 2023 11:11 pm  #4

Actually the Ac. Awards is no where near the second most watched TV event of the year.  Last year they came in at 23rd position with about 17.5 million viewers on ABC.  In 2021 the awards didn't even make it in the top 100 shows .Last year the big show had better ratings and were the most watched entertainment program.  But only because NBC opted for Olympic coverage after the Super Bowl rather than running a scripted show.

In the US sports rules taking 66 of the top 100 shows on broadcast TV last year.  NFL Football by far the most popular, with Olympic coverage, a smattering of NBA and playoff baseball with a couple of college football games. 

Canada is much different with only two football games in the top ten in 2022.  The Super Bowl was number one and the Grey Cup came in eighth.  Stanley Cup Hockey and the FIFA World Cup didn't make the top 100 stateside but were in the top 10 here. Three entertainment shows made it in the top 10 in Canada last year.  Bye Bye 2022 on Radio Canada was the 3rd most watched show, The Ac. Awards were 9th on CTV and Infoman on Radio Canada was 10th. 

Here are the top 100 shows watched in the US last year on broadcast television, courtesy of Variety..
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/top-rated-shows-2022-yellowstone-ncis-oscars-fbi-super-bowl-1235475629/

March 7, 2023 12:01 am  #5

Perhaps I didn't phrase my post correctly. I meant the Oscars were the most watched non-sports event of the year, traditionally #2 in the U.S. ratings when it comes to live event TV shows that don't involve someone throwing, kicking or swinging at a ball.

Sadly, sports will always usurp everything. And that goes for the Olympics, which as we know is not an annual thing. I have never been able to understand the popularity of the Games every four years, with events I can't even imagine I'd ever watch, politics entering into the picture despite assurances it won't and an apparently completely corrupt IOC that no one ever calls out in each country's zeal to win the rights to the overly expensive event. (Not to mention the debt almost every host nation assumes for years if not decades after staging them.)

I'm certainly in the minority, but I gave the Olympics as wide a berth as possible whenever it airs and those two weeks cannot end soon enough for me, because all TV goes into hibernation for 14 days, not willing to compete against it.

As for the Oscars, if I haven't seen the movies, the show holds no attraction for me at all. I'm not impressed by stars giving endless condescending thank you speeches and political messages, while they have to be forcibly played off the stage by swelling music. 

But other than that, they're both wonderful events!

March 7, 2023 1:03 am  #6

I'm pretty sure everything before World News Tonight is only on streaming platforms.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 7, 2023 1:06 am)

March 7, 2023 9:00 am  #7

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I'm pretty sure everything before World News Tonight is only on streaming platforms.

Nope. According to my Rogers on screen guide it airs on WKBW and KOMO, so the entire ABC network.

March 7, 2023 10:31 am  #8

Speaking of the Olympics, it occasionally unseats the Super Bowl as the most popular broadcast in Canada.

According to Numeris during the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, 9 of the top 10 programs viewed that year were of the games.  The big gold medal final between the US and Canada in men's hockey had almost 17 million viewers. That year the Super Bowl came in at 10th with almost 7 million watching in Canada. 

In fact the Super Bowl has been shut out of the number one position various times fairly recently.  In 2011 with Stanley Cup Hockey taking the one and two position for the year.  In 2014 Gold medal hockey between Sweden and Canada was the highest rated show, and in 2017 the Oscars were the most viewed program in Canada with the Super Bowl at number two.  Finally in 2018 the Super Bowl lost out to Olympic figure skating finals.  

In fairness for 2017 and 2018 there was no simsub on the Super Bowl.  CTV/TSN/CTV2/RDS lost 2 or 3 million viewers and came in with 5.5 million people watching football vs about 5.8 million for the Oscars and Olympic figure skating.    

March 7, 2023 7:07 pm  #9

Acadamy Awards is the Superbowl for women.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 8, 2023 10:19 am  #10

turkeytop wrote:

Acadamy Awards is the Superbowl for women.

I would tend to agree. All my female friends and co-workers not only watch the actual show, they can't miss the before AND after Red Carpet stuff. They get so excited over all the outfits the stars are wearing. At the other end of the spectrum, all my guy friends and I would rather watch paint dry.