sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2023 11:15 pm  #1

A Real Rarity: A Radio Station Transmitting Antenna Based In A Tree

Normally I wouldn't put up a story like this here, but this is so weird, I thought SOWNY members like Scott Fybush would get a kick out of it. Mr. Fybush, in case you don't know, is a radio veteran in Rochester, N.Y. and an engineer who takes regular trips to visit and photograph radio antennae across North America. But I wonder if he's ever been to this one. 

It was the transmitting tower for a low power outlet called KNYO-FM in the small town of Fort Bragg, California and to save money, the people who started the station put up its antenna in the mid-section of a tree. Yes, an actual wooden tree. 

But the recent disastrous weather in California took its toll and after just under two decades of serving as the "mast," the tree fell over, leaving the radio station without any way to get its signal out. What an odd set-up. They're now looking for a more permanent solution. Perhaps they should open a "branch" office?

Having Lost Its Tree, KNYO Needs a New Radio Tower

February 22, 2023 12:17 am  #2

Re: A Real Rarity: A Radio Station Transmitting Antenna Based In A Tree

Hopefully a good solution will take root.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 22, 2023 2:46 am  #3

Shiver me timbers. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 22, 2023 6:10 am  #4

Next up !!!
Barbara Streisand with .... "Evergreen"

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 22, 2023 11:25 am  #5

KNYO must be stuck on this song ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KUZ53NWq0

February 22, 2023 11:34 am  #6

If a radio station antenna falls in a forest and there's no way to hear it, are they still broadcasting?

February 23, 2023 1:27 am  #7

Sadly, I do not be-leaf I have ever been to Fort Bragg, though I wood love to say otherwise. I clearly need to branch out more.

Seriously, though, there have been a few other tree-based translators and LPFMs. I recall one in Florida a few years back. I think it outgrew that location.

February 23, 2023 10:35 am  #8

When my brother was "involved" with pirate radio in London (UK), not only the antenna was up a tree, but also the entire station On another occasion he was "discovered" by the GPO technicians sitting with a transmitter under a bush. In those days, one endeavored to remove or smash the valves so that technically it was not a transmitter.

February 23, 2023 6:00 pm  #9

fybush wrote:

Sadly, I do not be-leaf I have ever been to Fort Bragg, though I wood love to say otherwise. I clearly need to branch out more.

Seriously, though, there have been a few other tree-based translators and LPFMs. I recall one in Florida a few years back. I think it outgrew that location.

Does this mean they are no longer trunk with power?

February 23, 2023 7:49 pm  #10

I heard that radio station can get a little sappy around this time of year... but other times they are always throwing shade..