sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2023 11:45 am  #1

CBC Marketplace Feb 17

Tonight’s Marketplace should be a good one: “The Real Deal on Diamonds”. CBC investigates the retail diamond business, described as “Sending diamonds to a lab to find out if customers are getting deal, going under cover to see how far retailers will go to sell customers the sparkle.”

Purchasing a diamond differs from buying most items such as electronics, furniture, appliances, clothes etc where a person can see the item, read reviews, compare, and then choose. The intangible with precious gems is that there needs to be trust in the seller. Unless a person is a gemologist or mineralogist and has the expertise to examine the stones, the seller holds the sparkly upper hand. Plus there’s usually a hefty amount of emotional investment in this type of purchase. (Not so much with a fridge.) As well, diamonds can now be manufactured, in other words, they’re not all sourced from a mine.

If anyone is, or will be, in the market for a diamond, here’s a link to a basic explanation of diamond imperfections, or “inclusions.” It’s something most sellers would rather not acknowledge to potential buyers:
https://selectingadiamond.com/diamond-inclusion-chart-how-it-affects-clarity/

Ten years ago CBC investigated Spence Diamonds operating out West regarding warranty problems:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/spence-diamonds-rewrites-guarantee-following-cbc-investigation-1.1373419

(I haven’t seen any indication that Spence is involved with tonight’s Marketplace.)

February 17, 2023 12:37 pm  #2

Re: CBC Marketplace Feb 17

I am currently not in the market for a diamond purchase, nor will I be in the immediate future. However, it should be an interesting and informative Marketplace episode.

February 17, 2023 2:55 pm  #3

"Plus there’s usually a hefty amount of emotional investment in this type of purchase. (Not so much with a fridge.)"
I beg your pardon?  I spend a great deal of emotional currency when purchasing large appliances.  LOL

Last edited by DaCosta (February 17, 2023 2:55 pm)

February 17, 2023 6:55 pm  #4

I trust Michael Hill. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.