sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2023 9:45 am  #1

Hit the post, dammit!

It is a minor thing but I want to smash my radio every time I hear the current Speedy Glass commercial where Zack, the voice “talent” completely ignores the singing at the end and walks all over it. Even in commercials they should be hitting the post. This has happened in previous Speedy Glass commercials but not where the whole jingle is buried. I’m surprised this would be approved by the client and whoever produced it has pretty low standards. Like I said, a minor thing, agggggh!

February 12, 2023 10:39 am  #2

Re: Hit the post, dammit!

I've noticed this, too, and I find it a little weird, but not quite as upsetting as you. My guess is they believe their jingle is well enough known by now after several years of exposure for listeners to fill-in-the-blank in their own minds. But it's not a good idea to step on your own lyrics.

February 12, 2023 10:46 am  #3

Heard this some time ago on the following YouTube video, a late '80s vintage TV ad for Phil Walker's Huronia Ford in Barrie, as aired on CKVR... Phil walks all over "the right choice right now!" at the end of the spot.

In newer ads in general, where "sonic logos" (esp. whistling, a la Home Hardware and Dairy Queen) are included, it's common for the VO person(s) to talk over the sonic logo. Canadian Tire often did the same thing years ago when they used a whistled sonic logo.

February 12, 2023 12:02 pm  #4

Producer: This script's too long
Client: No it's not
Producer: K

February 12, 2023 12:19 pm  #5

I knew Phil personally. He was a good man. He passed on a couple of years ago. He wouldn't have cared about walking on the spot, selling a vehicle was his motive. 

February 13, 2023 2:26 am  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

Producer: This script's too long
Client: No it's not
Producer: K

This is almost definitely the explanation.

February 13, 2023 3:05 am  #7

Shorty Wave wrote:

It is a minor thing but I want to smash my radio every time I hear the current Speedy Glass commercial where Zack, the voice “talent” completely ignores the singing at the end and walks all over it. Even in commercials they should be hitting the post. This has happened in previous Speedy Glass commercials but not where the whole jingle is buried. I’m surprised this would be approved by the client and whoever produced it has pretty low standards. Like I said, a minor thing, agggggh!

I agree. Hit the post. Not doing so heavily distracts desire to invest in the product.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 19, 2023 8:46 am  #8

An update to my original post as Speedy Glass has a new commercial with a new “Zack” announcer who actually hits the post! No more smashing my radio, for now…!

March 19, 2023 9:12 am  #9

John Anderson usually hit the post.  Guy had hands of stone.

March 19, 2023 11:14 am  #10

There is no excuse for not hitting the post. Technology has reached that point.

March 19, 2023 11:18 am  #11

Don't blame the announcer.  He/she/they just read the script with no music track behind it. What happens beyond that is in the hands of the writer and/or producer.

March 19, 2023 12:36 pm  #12

And speaking of bad radio commercial writing... Spec Savers.
The script says "we want to give your eyes the whole world"  Then the line that follows is, "But that wouldn't be a viable business model."
As a listener I could not care less whether an advertiser has a viable business model or not.  Who wrote that?
Also why does the woman narrating have a southern African American accent?
Are Canadians supposed to relate to that?

March 20, 2023 1:33 am  #13

newsguy1 wrote:

As a listener I could not care less whether an advertiser has a viable business model or not.  

It's obviously a joke.  Or maybe not so obviously for some.