sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2023 10:16 pm  #31

Re: Playing songs you did not like or even hated.

Seasons In The Sun was first recorded by the man who wrote that song...

https://youtu.be/WtESZkGAl0I

https://youtu.be/ohOPRkllcmw

And then in 1963 by The Kingston Trio - also Pentangel around 1967

Plus more....Music like most things in life is Subjective 

Last edited by Marsden (February 14, 2023 10:18 pm)

February 14, 2023 10:22 pm  #32

Jody Thornton wrote:

mace wrote:

Hey P1: I noticed  "Cocaine" on your list. Do you detest the song or just Clapton's version of it. Personally, I prefer the original by J.J. Cale, which rarely gets any airplay. I even have the album, Troubador.

Cale also did a GREAT version of "After Midnight".  Love that recording.

I must come clean.  I actually liked the Morning After (and even worse, the theme from "Angie") by Ms McGovern.  Something about that early 70s keyboard halfway through the first verse (the one that reminds me of the Partridge Family Theme)

J.J. Cale wrote the song and recorded it first. Just mentioning that for fun

February 14, 2023 11:01 pm  #33

Couple of notes: 

1. Seasons in the Sun - is an English-language adaptation of the 1961 Belgian song Le Moribond "The Dying Man") by singer-songwriter Jacques Brel with lyrics rewritten in 1963 by American singer-poet Rod McKuen, Mr McKuen also recorded it in 1963. 

Pentangle also recorded it around 1967

2. After Midnight was written and recorded by J.J. Cale on an album released in 1971. 

Just thought it might help. 

Last edited by Marsden (February 14, 2023 11:02 pm)

February 15, 2023 1:39 am  #34

RadioAaron wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

YMCA wrote:

Longtime NYTheSpirit listeners, as I am, will recognize a lot of these songs, because Marsden has played them so often.

His weekend shows are quite repetitive. He ain't the savior he pretends to be.

You better like Pink Floyd, because you're going to hear something from PF/DavidGilmour/RogerWaters every show without fail. Ditto Peter Murphy, ditto Stranglers... I could go on.

Marsden will be annoyed with my comments, but although he sits atop all radio personalities in Toronto, he is not immune to criticism. His shows have lacked originality for a long time.

I don't listen but maybe he knows what his listeners like.  I don't see an issue with playing an artist frequently if you aren't playing any one song to death.

Not about Marsden specifically, but I find most freeform type hosts really were playing to their personal taste, and assuming it to be more popular than it actually was due to a pretty limited feedback loop.

Not sure what to think about your statement RadioAaron. In the halcyon days of the progressive rock format from 1968 to 1975 it was the most popular format for the younger audience on FM. That's why every major market in North American had one or two or even three stations with the format. That's why stations such as WBCN, WMMR, KSAN, CHUM FM, KMET and a bit later CFNY ( with a somewhat more structured free form) became so well loved.

Listening to such stations seemed like a musical education for me and not like someone asking me to like what they like. I would marvel at such oddities as Captain Beefheart and The Incredible  String Band mixed in with the Stones and Who. I appreciated hearing John Coltrane and Mississippi  John Hurt along with a classical piece. The DJ's with the magic knew how to mix the sets. I am forever grateful to have discovered the Bonzo Dog Band and the Firesign Theatre, No doubt there was some inane blather and such but not by the best announcers.

These stations were commercially viable for a time and then .............well we know what eventually happened and you might say the audience was not there once they got a taste of the corporate streamlining but....

Last edited by Fitz (February 15, 2023 5:47 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 15, 2023 11:48 am  #35

Marsden has been playing the same playlist for a very long time. It's a big playlist, and it's a varied playlist, and if you're new, you don't notice. But if you've been around a while, you know what I'm talking about.

Sometimes he gets inspired, and when he does, you get a great show. But most of the time, you just get a lot of the same same. A playlist that looks good on paper, but when the same tracks were played a week ago in a different order...

The truth is, you're better off listening to the various DJs on NYTS.COM, or even just the regular everyday music stream.

I'm sorry to say this, but David Marsden has passed his "best before" date.  He should stop pretending and retire while he's on top.

February 15, 2023 1:21 pm  #36

RadioAaron wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Not about Marsden specifically, but I find most freeform type hosts really were playing to their personal taste, and assuming it to be more popular than it actually was due to a pretty limited feedback loop.

Curated. Just like playlists sourced from faceless consultants.

Not at all. One tells the audience what to like, the other asks first.

Yeah. About that. It is curation. One is curation from the bottom-up, the other from the top down. For my tastes the former is preferable.