sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2023 7:59 pm  #2

Re: CBS News Detroit begins airing half-hour newscasts at 6 and 11 p.m.

January 23, 2023 8:28 pm  #3

Watched some of the first newscast for CBS62 in Detroit and what I saw was well done in my opinion.  Really like the storefront style of set which is different.  The other Detroit stations have conventional news sets.  They also are the only news station that has a news crawl at the bottom of the screen. Their first ad was for Gardner-White a local furniture chain that is all over Detroit television.  GW often has two ads per commercial cluster. 

WDIV the NBC affiliate  and Fox Detroit seem to have a lot of feature or feel good stories in their local newscasts and friendly chatty hosts. It will be interesting to see if CBS62 Detroit does this as well or focus on harder news. Haven't really watched the ABC station news.  Also liked the way that the graphics are seamless with the CBS Evening news.  This is an owned and operated station by the network and the only one that had no local news. Anyway they seem to be off to a good start.

January 23, 2023 9:23 pm  #4

I like the look (storefront, as it is called above) and the fact that the male anchors aren't wearing ties.  Makes them more relatable to the audience, as well as more casual.

January 23, 2023 10:50 pm  #5

On their first night, CBS News Detroit also broadcast a 6:30 newscast on WKBD (CW) channel 50. All the TV guides and news articles mentioned the 6 and 11 on WWJ, but nothing about the 6:30 on WKBD.

January 24, 2023 2:12 am  #6

It definitely looked good to me; a lot more of an effort than what they’ve done for Seattle with Seattle Now News at 10 on CW11. That newscast has very little local content and is hosted by generic bobbleheads from out of state. Would be nice if CBS put the kind of effort into Seattle that they’re putting into Detroit.

January 24, 2023 3:29 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

It definitely looked good to me; a lot more of an effort than what they’ve done for Seattle with Seattle Now News at 10 on CW11. That newscast has very little local content and is hosted by generic bobbleheads from out of state. Would be nice if CBS put the kind of effort into Seattle that they’re putting into Detroit.

With KSTW, I don't think Paramount has that much money to burn to build a news operation for a standalone CW station. The Seattle market probably can't support another full-fledged broadcast news operation long term. Plus, they would risk really pissing off their own affiliate there (KIRO). Paramount's probably satisfied with any sort of money they're making from a low-effort newscast like Seattle Now, plus it justifies the resources already in place at the other CBS O&Os. 

As far as CBS News Detroit, it was a good start for them. Their 6 PM show went out without any major technical glitches (just a short black hole in a VO). They'll gradually bring in the other bells and whistles once the rest of their streaming news operation start ramping up. 

Last edited by ED1 (January 24, 2023 3:31 pm)

January 24, 2023 9:12 pm  #8

I am a little surprised at the negative tone of the comments with the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard.  Quite a few posters don't like the set and overall presentation/content of the new CBS Detroit newscast so far.  Some think the set is too dark and too small, and don't like the newsroom style behind the anchors  with news desks that open up into the newsroom.  Also comments regarding the male hosts not wearing ties, and looking too casual. 

The station hasn't had any local news for over 20 years and plan to add a 5pm cast and eventually a morning segment. 

I also checked the Detroit Radio Discussions site which has some local TV talk, but nothing so far.  In fact D.R. Discussions hasn't had any new posts since January 5th.     

January 25, 2023 1:46 am  #9

I think some of the shots could be lower and tighter so the desk looks bigger and we don't see so much of the concrete floor but that was a very good first show.  A first show is often the worst one so if that's the case, they should be really good by fall.