sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2023 11:19 am  #1

The Time When CFTR Put Out A Music Chart

The recent thread on CKFH brought to mind a long and possibly lost fact about one of its successors in the Top 40 genre - back when CFTR was still one of the top rock stations in the city, they briefly experimented with a chart. It wasn't one of those you could get in a record store and I don't know what kind of impact it had. 

But beginning in late March 1976, it was published every week in the pages of the Toronto Star. I'm not quite sure how long it lasted and whether they ever referred to it on air. It may have just been a promotional vehicle and nothing else. But for a while, it joined the "chart ranking" wars in the city. 

January 4, 2023 12:12 pm  #2

Re: The Time When CFTR Put Out A Music Chart

The CFTR chart would have lasted no more than 17 years. CHUM's lasted 29 years, CKOC 32. CHUM discontinued the personal chart copies in 1975, CKOC in 1985.

January 4, 2023 12:19 pm  #3

I doubt the chart was even around that long. I was there in the 80s and I don't recall it being produced then.  

January 4, 2023 4:14 pm  #4

I remember the CFTR chart came back for a little while around 1989-90. It was published in the Toronto Sun. It lasted for about a year, if that.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!