sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2023 9:20 am  #1

93/KHJ Is Alive & Well & Broadcasting To - American Samoa?

This isn't really all that new, but a recent article in a California newspaper reminds that the legendary "Boss Radio" - 93/KHJ, made famous not only in radio but depicted in many films as a broadcasting beacon of the 60s - actually still exists. Except it's not in Los Angeles (or Boss Angeles, if you prefer.)

Instead, when the original became a Spanish language station and changed its call letters to KKHJ, the name became available and a station owner braving a terrible winter in Mississippi mused about moving somewhere warm. After doing some research, he wound up applying for a licence in far flung American Samoa and 93.1/KHJ Pago Pago was born. 

You might expect it would be an oldies station. But you'd be wrong. It's your typical modern Top 40 format, playing current songs while respecting the legend. If you're curious, you can listen to it online here.  

Southern California’s iconic KHJ is still on the air — in American Samoa

January 3, 2023 9:49 am  #2

Re: 93/KHJ Is Alive & Well & Broadcasting To - American Samoa?

It's not CHR. They even have John Tesh. 
More like a perfect music mix station. (website even reads "Best music mix".)
The overnight announcer (Brian Curry) sounds like someone from CHFI back in the late 80's/early 90's.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2023 10:02 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

You might expect it would be an oldies station. But you'd be wrong. It's your typical modern Top 40 format, playing current songs while respecting the legend. If you're curious, you can listen to it online here.  

Southern California’s iconic KHJ is still on the air — in American Samoa

It's good to see Dick Bartley still at it after all these years! Sunday mornings, 9 until noon, 60's music has a home in that neck of the woods. https://www.southseasbroadcasting.com/onair/dick-bartley/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2023 10:12 am  #4

Just to correct the record, KHJ in Los Angeles actually has regained its original call letters, but is now all religious. (Considering the legend of the place, that almost seems sacrilegious!) The American Samoa station is KKHJ, but calls itself "KHJ" in homage to the original. 

As far as the format is concerned, various sources list it as "Adult Top 40," unless it's changed since then. And while I'm sure they're very good, I wouldn't be too surprised by the talent. Despite its exotic location, it is considered a very small market station, so I wouldn't expect high priced announcers, unless they're looking for a lifestyle change and willing to live in a place where it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit in January.

Hmm, right now, that doesn't sound too bad! 

January 3, 2023 10:40 am  #5

"Good Morgan."  KHJ the former home of one of my all-time favorite DJs Robert W Morgan.

January 3, 2023 11:28 am  #6

John D wrote:

"Good Morgan."  KHJ the former home of one of my all-time favorite DJs Robert W Morgan.

Zap! You've been Morganized!

January 4, 2023 9:55 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Just to correct the record, KHJ in Los Angeles actually has regained its original call letters, but is now all religious. (Considering the legend of the place, that almost seems sacrilegious!) The American Samoa station is KKHJ, but calls itself "KHJ" in homage to the original. 

As far as the format is concerned, various sources list it as "Adult Top 40," unless it's changed since then. And while I'm sure they're very good, I wouldn't be too surprised by the talent. Despite its exotic location, it is considered a very small market station, so I wouldn't expect high priced announcers, unless they're looking for a lifestyle change and willing to live in a place where it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit in January.

Hmm, right now, that doesn't sound too bad! 

I listened to them for an hour or so yesterday. All the jingles are KHJ, but the legal top of the hour ID mentions KKHJ. Format leans Adult Top 40. Definitely not a KISS or Virgin.