sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2022 6:02 pm  #1

CBSC Rules On A Complaint Over An Episode Of Happy Days On CHCH

The complaint came from a viewer who was angry about the standards of lead Happy Days character Richie Cunningham using "sexist" standards to lie about his encounter with a girl he was dating. There was also a reference to the word "Eskimo" which irritated the same viewer, who watched the episode on CHCH last August.

The Council essentially decided that it's almost impossible to apply modern standards to a show made in the early 1970s and that while it appears somewhat insensitive today, it didn't violate any rules. From Broadcast Dialogue:

"The panel found no breaches of any of the broadcast codes, but acknowledged the difficulty in applying modern standards to retro programming. While agreeing the portrayal of women could be considered sexist, it found nothing that rose to the level of a code breach, particularly given the plot context, noting that “a chauvinistic character is acceptable within the context of some fictional programming, particularly if the character’s behaviour is depicted as negative.” 

"
The panel also noted that the term “Eskimo” is outdated, but not abusive and the snowball joke related more to the temperature in Alaska than to the Indigenous group. It also wrote that the term “Eskimo” in Alaska remains in more common usage and is the legal terminology in some contexts."

I have to say, while I'm sensitive to changes in the world and word usage, I'm glad the CBSC ruled the way it did. It would be almost impossible to show anything from the 60s and 70s without these kinds of references. Which would almost completely obviate any old reruns ever being shown on current TV. This seems overly woke to me, an attempt to rewrite history, and while acknowledging the sentiments were dated, I think the ruling was the right one.

As the Board noted:

"The episode of Happy Days at issue was originally aired in 1974 which was 48 years ago. At that time, the program was considered comedic content for the entire family."

Times change but old TV shows cannot. I would hate to lose access to them simply because they could not have predicted a more progressive tilt in society. No one can predict the future and stuff that's on the tube now may one day be considered offensive by future generations. But just like back in 1974, we have no way of knowing that now. Which is why I think this complaint was way over the top.  

Further, CHCH usually carries a disclaimer about its old shows to prevent this kind of thing. I have no idea if they did on this particular show. But I'm betting they will from now on!

The decision letting CHCH off the hook did not sit well with the viewer, even though the station sent their regrets in a response. 

"
Thank you for your response; however I do not accept your apology. You and your station still do not get it, as evidenced by the fact that you state in your apology that you may air this episode again! This isn't just about an inappropriate situation or offensive comment. The episode was normalizing the sexual assault and abuse of young girls, minor children, by their teachers and portraying it as an acceptable behavior!

"Children seeing this will think and feel that sexual advances from adults, particularly from teachers, is okay. Many will not report abuse because you are telling them that it's okay. Being a retro show does not absolve your responsibility, or permit you to say that it was a sign of the times so it's ok. Are we back in the boys will be boys era? Or the old boys network? Or maybe the blame the victim scenario? What the director intended is of absolutely no consequence here. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

"As a teacher myself, I feel that it is my duty to bring this to the attention of teachers federations, boards of education, and the media."

This seems a lot like someone looking for a reason for outrage. Do you agree with the ruling? You can decide for yourself by reading the story.   

Read the CBSC decision

December 15, 2022 7:55 am  #2

Re: CBSC Rules On A Complaint Over An Episode Of Happy Days On CHCH

RadioActive wrote:

This seems a lot like someone looking for a reason for outrage. Do you agree with the ruling? 

Happy Days re-runs are turning viewers' brains into porridge.   For one thing, the Triumph motorcycle Fonzie rides on should be immediately replaced with a good old Harley-Davidson from Milwaukee.   The Triumph is an example of foreign interference into Canadian society.   The CBSC must be replaced with a Royal Commission on drivel.    The SOWNY Commission, with a healthy $ per diem for its members + a travel budget similar to that of the Governor General.   

It's the least that can be done to preserve our unique way of life.                 

December 15, 2022 11:37 am  #3

Ms. C. wrote:

...the Triumph motorcycle Fonzie rides on should be immediately replaced with a good old Harley-Davidson from Milwaukee.   The Triumph is an example of foreign interference into Canadian society. 

Give me a moment. I'm trying to understand how the use of an American motorcycle would protect Canada from the "foreign interference" that a British motorcycle apparently imposes.

December 15, 2022 12:35 pm  #4

I wonder how many 1970s Britcoms could be rebroadcast today, either here or in the UK? 

Last edited by Hansa (December 15, 2022 12:36 pm)

December 15, 2022 12:39 pm  #5

God help them if they ever pick up the rights to "All In The Family!"

December 15, 2022 7:20 pm  #6

I will never understand why some feel the need to make the biggest issues over things like this.    

1. CHCH did not produce the show, only re-broadcast it.   Their programming is mostly classic tv.   As mentioned before, it was a much different time back then and I think a viewer has enough intelligence to know this.  Classic tv is historic, and many who watch understand it was a different time.

2. You can always switch the station if you don't like what is running.   No one is making anyone watch.  There is also the off button.   This applies to radio, TV, streaming.    

3. Children too young to understand should not be watching tv without parent supervision.   Most would not be interested in conventional tv, especially classic tv like "Happy Days".

4. People abuse broadcast standards very regular on these issues.  CBSC takes on way too many issues presented to them.   There should be automatic criteria that if already set out, should instantly cause a refusal to hear a case.  This is one of those cases. 

5. If you know content on a channel does not meet your values for your family, you can block channels on your tv to ensure they do not see eyes you don't want it to.   Most modern tvs, cable boxes, and other items do have this feature built in.    

6. it's time everyone take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.  It's not anyone but yourself who should be responsible for content on your tv, radio and streaming, but you.   Content is controlled by the viewer or listener.  It's not a broadcast stations or streaming companies responsibility.   The only outrage here should be at the person who is refusing to take their own personal responsibility and expecting others to live to their standards.   

There is many things I don't like, but I choose to not watch, listen or buy their products.   This is how normal people live their life.   These are things I can control on my own...    

Last edited by radiokid (December 15, 2022 7:26 pm)

December 15, 2022 8:58 pm  #7

It's the same with the Love Boat reruns. There was one with Red Buttons who kept making passes at Julie and Doc just tells her that she should be flattered because she's an attractive woman and not to do anything about it.

Click, and I can change the channel.

December 15, 2022 9:03 pm  #8

I can only imagine this complainant’s reaction to South Park or even Family Guy.

December 15, 2022 9:25 pm  #9

This kind of complaint would make it impossible for me to be part of the CBSC's panel. I would not be able to stop the eyerolling. 

But then this is nothing new.

Anyone remember this gripe from 2017 that provoked an unprecedented response from the Council as "hair splitting" and "frivolous?" Some people have too much time on their hands.