sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2022 2:20 pm  #1

Newstalk 1010 Credibility Taking A Bit Of A Holiday Too?

The terrific Heather Seaman, who normally does the news on 1010, was doing her usual professional read this morning, only instead of news, Heather was acting as traffic reporter.

While it's the season for people to pitch in for vacationing co-workers, to have listeners hear a news person do the traffic is possibly confusing and then there's the issue of credibility.

This isn't about Heather, she does a great job on traffic reports and the news, it's about a company's willingness to water down a (once?) highly respected and still beloved radio station .

Is it merely a money saving move?
Does this dent 1010's credibility just a bit?

December 14, 2022 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Newstalk 1010 Credibility Taking A Bit Of A Holiday Too?

Gordon Sinclair is probably spinning in his grave.   The once-great CFRB is just a shadow of it once was, thanks to the heartless bottom-line corporations devoid of any professionalism. 

December 14, 2022 2:54 pm  #3

I am sure Jack Dennett, Torbin Wittrup, Charles Doering and Bob Heskith would be none too pleased with what remains of "Ontario's Authoratative News Voice"

December 14, 2022 3:23 pm  #4

Funny, I was just thinking about this while listening Wednesday morning. CFRB's newscasts are now really poor, and not worth listening to. Their local "reports" (the tape that runs when the anchor throws to a piece) are all retreads from CTV's 12, 6 or 11 PM news, except for the odd occasion when they take something from CP24. 

That means what you're hearing is between 7-18 hours old. Whereas CFTR and even AM 640 will have an actual reporter on the scene of a breaking story, for the most part 'RB will have to wait until CTV's noon news and take whatever reporter stories they have on TV to bring you something from the scene. By then, it's mostly dated. What a shame for a newsroom that once had star reporters they could send out for up-to-date stories.

In some cases, it shouldn't be called "news." Perhaps "olds" is more apropos. 

December 14, 2022 5:04 pm  #5

I heard Heather doing traffic and didn't even flinch. I think it's just radio people who feel like this. People in smaller markets wear different hats all day, every day and no one cares. 

December 14, 2022 6:35 pm  #6

Heather Seaman filling in on traffic reports is the least of 1010's problems, in my opinion.

680 also has several anchors who sometimes do traffic reports too.