sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2022 8:07 am  #1

Emergency Alert System Test To Interrupt TV/Radio/Cell Phones On Wed.

The last few minutes of your noon newscast on TV or that song or discussion on the radio will be temporarily interrupted at 12:55 Wednesday afternoon for a test of the Emergency Alert System. Every province will take part except, for some reason, P.E.I. Here's the schedule:

Test of Canada’s public alerting system, Alert Ready coming November 16th

November 14, 2022 11:26 am  #2

Re: Emergency Alert System Test To Interrupt TV/Radio/Cell Phones On Wed.

In Florida they do that twice every Wednsday. Around noon and again around 6:00 PM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 14, 2022 12:36 pm  #3

This used to scare the hell out of me when I was a little kid. (Now watching the news does the same thing!)

November 14, 2022 12:50 pm  #4

As a teen in the early to mid 80s, with movies like "The Day After", "Threads", and "Testament", as well as the sabre-rattling between the US and Russia, these warning tests seemed to go from something theoretical to something that might very well happen.

RadioActive wrote:

This used to scare the hell out of me when I was a little kid. (Now watching the news does the same thing!)

November 14, 2022 1:22 pm  #5

Surprised we're still getting the test here in Ontario, given the child abduction alert that went out province-wide Wednesday evening.

November 14, 2022 1:33 pm  #6

Forward Power wrote:

Surprised we're still getting the test here in Ontario, given the child abduction alert that went out province-wide Wednesday evening.

That one was different than what I've been used to hearing. It started with a brief announcement *then* the tone came on. The message was also so brief that I didn't absorb it at all.

November 14, 2022 1:45 pm  #7

Just by sheer coincidence, I was tuning through some OTA channels on Monday just before noon, and saw this on WNED. (Hey, at least they didn't ask for money for a membership!)

November 16, 2022 5:58 pm  #8

This happened as scheduled at 12:55 PM and I heard it on two radio stations. But oddly enough, it never activated on my cell phone. I wonder why.

November 16, 2022 6:10 pm  #9

I recall several years ago one of the Buffalo TV stations used the EBS to altert the public about the likely possibility of some local flooding.

November 16, 2022 7:29 pm  #10

totally missed it, after the test I saw the emergency alert text on my cellphone when I picked it up but there was no scary alert screech so 🥱

Twitter and the radio is more dependable.

November 16, 2022 7:49 pm  #11

After WHEN-FM did this in the 1970s, the FCC made a rule  that said stations could not sing the test script or read it as if it were a joke.

Last edited by Hansa (November 16, 2022 7:49 pm)

November 16, 2022 7:52 pm  #12

Last edited by Hansa (November 16, 2022 7:52 pm)

November 16, 2022 7:53 pm  #13

Last edited by Hansa (November 16, 2022 7:53 pm)

November 16, 2022 9:13 pm  #14

Here's one where the legendary WOWO Ft. Wayne went on the air with an actual emergency alert, only to find the message had been sent by government forces in error. The year was 1971. But if you ever wondered what a real EBS disaster would sound like, here it is.