sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2022 10:02 pm  #1

Florida SW Station Pleads For Help After Hurricane Destroyed Its Tower

Some here will know the call letters WRMI, one of the few independent commercial radio stations still broadcasting to the world on shortwave.

Or at least it was.

Hurricane Ian destroyed the tower that sent its signal to Europe and Africa, and the station did not have insurance, claiming it was too expensive. So now it's launched a "Go Fund Me" page to try to raise enough money to replace the damaged array.

So far, it's not looking good for the broadcaster. The appeal went up six days ago with a goal of $60,000. As of this posting, it's raised only $155. 

“Save Our Shortwave,” Says WRMI 

Last edited by RadioActive (October 11, 2022 10:04 pm)

October 12, 2022 8:41 am  #2

Re: Florida SW Station Pleads For Help After Hurricane Destroyed Its Tower

A Florida radio station that claims insurance is too expensive? In a state where hurricanes are a fact of life. Not a case of if one hits, but when. 

October 12, 2022 11:38 am  #3

Re: Florida SW Station Pleads For Help After Hurricane Destroyed Its Tower

I listen to WRMI when I'm at home but it generally is unavailable here in Florida. They took over the facilities of the doomed WYFR Family radio about ten years ago.

A lot of their programs are Christian religious and not for me. But they also relay the broadcasts of several International broadcasters including Ukraine Radio.

One of my favourite WRMI programs is Glen Hauser's World of Radio. I listen to that every week when I'm at home. I always donate financially to Glen's program, but now I may have to pick it up on one of the other SW broadcasters who carry it.

Last edited by turkeytop (October 12, 2022 11:45 am)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.