sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2022 8:32 pm  #1

Jays, RIP

what a choke job. 

Last edited by cash (October 8, 2022 8:48 pm)

October 8, 2022 10:14 pm  #2

Re: Jays, RIP

This very well could have been Buck Martinez’s last Jays game, based on his recent comments to the Globe & Mail. Hopefully he’s back next year but I totally support him if chooses to retire.

October 9, 2022 6:38 am  #3

The Jays 8-1 blown lead is tied for 2nd on a list of worst collapses in MLB playoff  history. In game 5 of the 2008 ALCS, the Rays were up 7-0 on the Red Sox and lost 8-7. In the 1929 World Series, the Cubs blew an 8-0 lead in Game 4 to the Athletics, then in Philadelphia, and lost 10-8.                                                                                            The only thing Jays fans remember about the 1993 World Series was the "Touch em all" Joe Carter winning home run. People have forgotten that the Jays blew a 5-1 lead in that game.

October 9, 2022 11:21 am  #4

cash wrote:

what a choke job. 

You and I obviously watched different ballgames at the same time. A terribly disappointing result, yes, but
“choke,” no freaking way!
By saying that, you also degrade the efforts of the Mariners, who also didn’t quit, as in, “It ain’t over, ‘til
it’s over.”
I have my doubts that you, rather than make your anonymous comment above here, would have walked into
the team’s dressing room and told them the same thing to their faces.

October 9, 2022 12:33 pm  #5

And the Jays in their home opener against Texas this past season roared back to win the game after a 7 run deficit  back in April.  This was the biggest home opening day comeback in 72 years.  Also one reason why baseball is such a great game, and why Yogi Berra's famous saying always rings true...it ain't over ..(you know the rest).
See you next year Jays! 
https://www.si.com/mlb/bluejays/news/blue-jays-pull-off-largest-opening-day-comeback-win-in-72-years

Last edited by paterson1 (October 9, 2022 1:24 pm)

October 10, 2022 4:52 am  #6

mike marshall wrote:

cash wrote:

what a choke job. 

You and I obviously watched different ballgames at the same time. A terribly disappointing result, yes, but
“choke,” no freaking way!
By saying that, you also degrade the efforts of the Mariners, who also didn’t quit, as in, “It ain’t over, ‘til
it’s over.”
I have my doubts that you, rather than make your anonymous comment above here, would have walked into
the team’s dressing room and told them the same thing to their faces.

Mike, you were obviously watching a different game than the rest of the baseball world.  That was one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the game.  The willingness to tell the players to their faces doesn't change what it was, an epic choke for the ages that will change the face of the team and will be laughed at for decades to come.  Calling it anything else is willful blindness.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (October 10, 2022 4:53 am)

October 10, 2022 6:36 am  #7

This was the Jays "4-1" game as Leaf fans will never, ever forget. Jays fan: This is the worst collapse of my life. Leaf fan: This is the worst collapse of your life...so far.

October 10, 2022 11:07 am  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Mike, you were obviously watching a different game than the rest of the baseball world.  That was one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the game.  The willingness to tell the players to their faces doesn't change what it was, an epic choke for the ages that will change the face of the team and will be laughed at for decades to come.  Calling it anything else is willful blindness.

Tomas, the Jays did not “choke.”
The Mariners won the Wild Card Series two games straight.
Much as it was really fun to watch the Jays this season, the final results show the better team won.

October 10, 2022 12:05 pm  #9

From Merriam Webster:  Choke... "to lose one's composure and fail to perform effectively in a critical situation" e.g. "had a chance to win the game but he choked"

This sounds exactly like the Jays to me. How else does one define giving up an 8-1 lead due to bad managerial decisions, rookie mistakes in outfield, and bullpen that didn't show up when needed most. All they had to do was not give up 7 runs. 

October 10, 2022 12:52 pm  #10

I have been a Jays fan the last 10 years.  I follow them very closely.  I was also a sports reporter/sportscaster for 20 years.
In my opinion any ball club that blows an 8-1 lead doesn't deserve to advance in the series.

October 10, 2022 12:54 pm  #11

Everything went south with the collision in the 8th allowing three Mariner runs.  Bichette can hit the ball  but he makes too many errors.