sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2022 11:47 am  #1

Are You Ready For More Ads On Cdn. Cable Stations? It Could Be Coming

Are you ready for added ads on Canadian cable stations? If you think there are already too many, stay tuned - more may be coming. It's all thanks to a request by Quebec's TVA Network, which has asked the CRTC to remove the 12 minute-per-hour limit on spots these cablers can show. (Only all news and all sports stations are occasionally exempt, in case they have to cover something live, disrupting their regular schedules.)

I already thought there were too many spots on cable stations in general, but TVA argues that increasing competition from streaming services and the Internet are making it impossible for them to make enough money. And get this - they're using the claim that they need the bucks to produce more Canadian Content. If that doesn't get the CRTC's heart beating, nothing will. At least they know their audience!

I fully understand the pressures some of these stations are facing - things have changed a lot since they were first started as a "licence to print money," as the old cliche used to say. But is airing more spots per hour really going to help them win back that drifting audience? It's a bit of a Catch-22 and now the CRTC is planning on folding TVA's request into a hearing that could potentially expand the ad minutes on cable stations across the country. 

My big concern is this: if the 12-minute rule is dropped, what does it mean to viewers? Will Canadian stations that buy U.S. programming start cutting out sections of their shows to make room for those extra ads? How many commercials are too many?

This was exactly what used to happen in the days before cable and it's one of the reasons I began to hate watching anything on broadcasters north of the border and to this day, insist on viewing American shows on American outlets. 

The editors who decided what to chop were absolute butchers and a scene that was building up to an emotional climax would be crudely cut mid-scene, only to be interrupted by some guy yelling at you "THIS WEEKEND AT THE BRICK!" By the time the show came back, you'd lost the moment completely and it killed the carefully constructed show. 

Would this start to happen again? Would a station like Showcase airing, say, "Riverdale," be forced to start cutting out parts of the show to make way for more spots? That would be a step way over the line for me. But it's certainly a possibility. because there are only so many minutes in an hour. 

The Commission is asking for submissions on the effect this may have, issuing a series of multiple questions, including whether the ad time restrictions are still relevant. The list of queries goes on and on, before finally at the end, asking this:

"What possible impact would removing the limit on advertising time have on subscribers?"

"How would removing the limit on advertising time serve the public interest?"

Nice of them to finally consider the viewers in all this at the very end of the list. 

So what do you think? Are you willing to put up with more spots and less show, if it helped your favourite station survive? Or is this just a sneaky way of increasing profits at your expense?

You can read more about the issue on the CRTC site.

October 6, 2022 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Are You Ready For More Ads On Cdn. Cable Stations? It Could Be Coming

US programming already has more than 12 minutes of commercial time per hour.  That's why you already see so much promo for shows on Canadian cable channels, to fill up the time. US scripted shows have 16-18 minutes available per hour. They will not be chopping content from shows. What they want is to be able to run more commercials and less promo/public service announcements during the breaks.  The actual length of the breaks won't change unless the US broadcasters make a change. 

October 6, 2022 1:15 pm  #3

Good to know. As you're aware, I don't subscribe to Canadian cable, since I won't do business with either Bell or Rogers. The only question is what happens if the CRTC removes the caps and they decide to go past that 16-18 mark?

It's definitely different than it used to be. Most hour-long shows of the 60s and 70s were about 46 mins. long. That shrank to near 44 mins. and now most are just over 42. The rest is filler, spots, promos, etc. As someone who DVRs almost everything, I spin by the clutter. But cutting out parts of shows has always been a step too far for me, and I refuse to watch stations that do that, as the Canadian outlets used to do in the old days. 

I'd hate to see that return. I hope if the CRTC goes for this change, that they'll at least extend the minute limits on ads and not remove them altogether. We're all aware that the greed of Bell, Rogers and Corus knows no bounds. I wouldn't trust them not to go hog wild. 

October 6, 2022 1:37 pm  #4

I see a few times here and there, even with the American network (sim sub or not) there have been shows that deliberately spill over the hour by 5 minutes or so, but I don't think that's to get more ads in. I think it's to get one to stay glued to their channel, thinking "well I already missed 5 minutes of that other show..." 
(something like that)
spilling over may still be one way to sneak more ads in, I'm guessing...plus also, that 12 minute rule? Isn't it out the window in election years anyway? Allowing for more election ads to air?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 6, 2022 2:28 pm  #5

You are correct - networks have gradually started to increase this technique of running shows over by about 2 minutes, so the other guy's episodes have already started. It drives people who record more than one show in the same time slot on their DVRs crazy, because they either miss the end of one program to get the start of the new one, or vice versa. 

It's a good strategy for the AMnets - but awful for those of us watching them. 

October 6, 2022 3:29 pm  #6

Regular broadcast TV stations in Canada already have no commercial limits, along with AM and FM radio.  TVA is looking for changes for their cable operations.  They argue since they are French language they produce more domestic programming for their cable networks and don't rely as much on imported US programming, where it is easier to make a profit.  Since their costs are higher they are looking for a break with the 12 minute limit for their discretionary (cable) services.  However if the CRTC makes any changes with this it will likely apply to everyone.  Here are the CRTC rules for advertising. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/publicit/publicit.htm  

October 6, 2022 4:07 pm  #7

I PVR just about everything I watch, always add 5 minutes , so I can fast forward thru the ads. 

October 6, 2022 5:16 pm  #8

I believe in the 60's in the US at least most hour long shows ran 50-51 minutes in prime time, and half hour shows like Dick Van Dyke ran 25 minutes.  I did check an episode of Dick VD from my PVR recorded from CHCH at they had 5 minutes and 15 seconds of commercial time for the half hour. 

October 8, 2022 7:11 am  #9

The U.S. nets always have time to show the "Stay tuned for scenes from next week's episode" for their primetime series. The Canadian simsubbed versions? Nope! More commercials. Another reason I will ALWAYS pvr and watch my favourite programs out of Seattle.

October 8, 2022 9:06 am  #10

mace wrote:

The U.S. nets always have time to show the "Stay tuned for scenes from next week's episode" for their primetime series. The Canadian simsubbed versions? Nope! More commercials. Another reason I will ALWAYS pvr and watch my favourite programs out of Seattle.

Actually they don't put in more commercials. Canadian TV tends to have more disclaimers for many shows,  sometimes even in every commercial break. The US networks not so much.  This takes up time.  Also Canadian networks tend to run a promo for a program later in the evening or one of their biggest programs later in the week during the credits rather than promoting next weeks show.   But running more ads, no they don't. The commercial breaks are all the same length as US TV as is the running time of the show. 

For myself, I am watching the show and don't really care what station I am watching it on. If it is on the US network or something that doesn't run here fine, if it is simsub, fine as well.  

Last edited by paterson1 (October 8, 2022 9:08 am)

October 8, 2022 10:30 am  #11

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

Actually they don't put in more commercials. Canadian TV tends to have more disclaimers for many shows,  sometimes even in every commercial break. The US networks not so much.  This takes up time.  Also Canadian networks tend to run a promo for a program later in the evening or one of their biggest programs later in the week during the credits rather than promoting next weeks show.   But running more ads, no they don't. The commercial breaks are all the same length as US TV as is the running time of the show. 

For myself, I am watching the show and don't really care what station I am watching it on. If it is on the US network or something that doesn't run here fine, if it is simsub, fine as well.  

Whether it is an ad or a Canadian network promo, the point is we still miss the U.S. network "scenes from next weeks episode" I will still always watch the originating U.S. network version, when available.

October 8, 2022 11:15 am  #12

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

Whether it is an ad or a Canadian network promo, the point is we still miss the U.S. network "scenes from next weeks episode" I will still always watch the originating U.S. network version, when available.

The Canadian networks especially CTV or any Bell channel could put in the scenes from next week but have decided to run promo for the next show coming up or other programs later in the week.  It just the way that they have decided to promote their programming.  Global and especially CBC will sometimes opt for scenes from next week but CTV almost never.  I don't watch any current series programming, and unless it is an ongoing story, don't really care if the next week episode is promoted. It's all clutter as far as I am concerned and ruins any chance to look at the credits which are crammed onto part of the screen and burned through at a ridiculous fast speed.  

October 8, 2022 2:47 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The Canadian networks especially CTV or any Bell channel could put in the scenes from next week but have decided to run promo for the next show coming up or other programs later in the week.  It just the way that they have decided to promote their programming.  Global and especially CBC will sometimes opt for scenes from next week but CTV almost never.  I don't watch any current series programming, and unless it is an ongoing story, don't really care if the next week episode is promoted. It's all clutter as far as I am concerned and ruins any chance to look at the credits which are crammed onto part of the screen and burned through at a ridiculous fast speed.  

I'd like to know scenes from next week for the current program also please. 
Thank-you Seattle. Thank-you American Time shifting.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 12, 2022 12:22 am  #14

There's at least one other big difference between the Canadian showing and the one in the U.S. 

Canadian stations have an increasingly irritating habit of showing an ad graphic during a show. You'll be watching a scene and all of a sudden, the screen will shrink and you'll see a still (and occasionally, even an animated) ad for something like car insurance pop up as you're watching the program. It stays up for at least 15-20 secs. before the full screen returns. 

It happens only rarely in the U.S., but I've noticed it more and more on Canadian stations in the past few years. Look, I get they're hungry for money as the biz shrinks, but while I can live with ads interrupting a show for a spot break, I draw the line when they insert them while the show is still airing! It's an insult to the audience and a concept that's very intrusive and annoying. Another reason I'd rather watch on the American station. 

October 12, 2022 7:59 am  #15

Unfortunately something similar is beginning on the U.S. nets primetime series as well. They have begun running banners across the bottom of the screen promoting other network offerings. While not being commercials and no shrunk screen, they are still distracting and annoying.