sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2022 5:48 pm  #1

Rolling Stone Magazine Picks The Top 100 TV Shows Of All Time

Chances are pretty good you won't agree with many of them or where they're placed on the list, but for what it's worth, here they are. 

100-51

50-1

September 29, 2022 8:25 pm  #2

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine Picks The Top 100 TV Shows Of All Time

Nice to see that both Kids In The Hall and SCTV made the list.  However for SCTV they credit Global and CBS.  Should have been Global and CBC.  Global ran the program from 1976-1979.  CBC from 1980-83, and NBC 1981-83. The final year was 1983-84 on Cinemax and Superchannel.  

Interesting list for the top 100 TV show of all time.

September 29, 2022 9:54 pm  #3

Lists like this leave so much out and get things so wrong.  Putting the Honeymooners at #74 is sacrellage.  It could be argued that Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad for any number of reasons.  But that's just opinion.

And where the hell are WKRP, The Addams Family and Green Acres.  This list is skewed way too much past 1990. 

Last edited by Peter the K (September 29, 2022 10:35 pm)

September 30, 2022 8:05 am  #4

They pretty much lost me a few years back with a similar list proclaiming Northern Exposure as one of the worst shows on TV and South Park as one of the best. Uh yeah, sure fellas...move along. Nothing to see here. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

September 30, 2022 8:14 am  #5

Peter the K wrote:

Lists like this leave so much out and get things so wrong.  Putting the Honeymooners at #74 is sacrellage.  It could be argued that Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad for any number of reasons.  But that's just opinion.

And where the hell are WKRP, The Addams Family and Green Acres.  This list is skewed way too much past 1990. 

Yay! A Green Acres fan! The most surreal and incredibly strange TV show ever made, where a pig barked and spoke French, people deliberately mispronounced words and the characters saw the opening credits. I have it on DVD and even though I know almost every word, it always makes me laugh. 

The show was seen by most as just a cornpone cutout of The Beverly Hillbillies or Petticoat Junction, which in my mind, were ordinary comedies I could take or leave. But Green Acres was something far beyond that, a world where the only sane guy was seen as crazy, because everyone else was nuts. It would never make this kind of list. But it definitely deserved to be there.

So does Burns & Allen, another surreal comedy where George would watch the show on his upstairs TV as it was going on and comment on the writing and the acting. No one has ever done anything like it since.

September 30, 2022 9:35 am  #6

Green Acres was an aquired taste. Like you, RA, I aquired it. As for the list, the first thing I noticed was only four of the top 10 [2, 6, 8 and 10] are broadcast television series. Lists like this are nothing more than an opinion piece. Top 100 list based on what, Most number of episodes produced. Most number of seasons in production. Most number of seasons at #1 or in the top 10 Neilsen ratings. Fun to look at but basically totally meaningless.

September 30, 2022 12:20 pm  #7

On a somewhat related note, Pitchfork tallied up a list of the best 150 albums of the 1990s this week.

Clearly beyond dispute.