sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2022 10:09 pm  #1

No Sir, I don't like it, I tells ya

The local/regional TV newscast where I live is CTV Northern Ontario out of Sudbury.  Let me know if you see this happening anywhere.
I know the reporters are all video journalists and do all their own shooting and editing.  When some of them do a standup, it's with a cellphone flat in one hand.  It obviously has the script on it, and the reporter sometimes looks down at it.
I don't like it.  It's distracting to the viewer, and makes the reporter look off camera, even for a second or two.
I've been a VJ.  I know that for the length of a standup, it's relatively easy to memorize it or at least wing it, even if it requires four or five takes.
Do you see this elsewhere? What are your thoughts?

September 28, 2022 10:16 pm  #2

Re: No Sir, I don't like it, I tells ya

I have noticed this a lot more lately and yes, it's a bit distracting but it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bug you. I think most reporters use it as a crutch, and I know that sometimes when that red light goes on, the script can fly right out of your head. I've seen it happen to some of the reporters I've worked with. It's squirm-worthy on air.

The phone is a lifeline and they should have it handy just in case. But you're right - they've become way too dependent on it. 

September 29, 2022 10:46 am  #3

To me, it's a sign of not strictly following a script, and trying to adlib perhaps.  As the reporter becomes more experienced , they will likely rely less on stand bys . I would think also, It can't be easy to operate the equipment and do on camera at the same time. 

September 29, 2022 2:03 pm  #4

The ones I hate are where the reporter is holding the camera and recording his/her image in the side mirror of the car. (CTV London)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 29, 2022 2:21 pm  #5

turkeytop wrote:

The ones I hate are where the reporter is holding the camera and recording his/her image in the side mirror of the car. (CTV London)

On a totally unrelated matter, how did you make out with Hurricane Ian?