sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2022 7:41 am  #1

Museum Highlights History Of Canadian Kids' TV

Where can you find Mr. Dressup, Johnny the Lemming and more from Canuck kids' TV of the past? Beyond your own memory, they're at the Museum of History near Ottawa, which is saluting the stuff some of us watched on this side of the border. 

"In addition to hundreds of excerpts from favourite shows, featured in 33 audiovisual productions, From Pepinot to PAW Patrol – Television of Our Childhood includes 80 original costumes, puppets and props, as well as images and content exploring the evolution of children's television and our own experience of watching it."

I admittedly haven't been to a museum in years, but if this ever comes travelling here, I'll definitely make the trek. (But if they don't include Schnitzel House, I'm going to be very disappointed!) 

Celebrate 70 years of Canadian children's television at the Museum of History

September 2, 2022 10:31 pm  #2

Re: Museum Highlights History Of Canadian Kids' TV

The only Canadian children shows I watched were The Friendly Giant, The Professor's Hideaway, Razzle Dazzle and the Forest Rangers [with that relentlessly cheerful theme song] The rest of my free time was spent with Rocketship 7, Popeye's Playhouse, Felix The Cat, Mighty Mouse and Underdog.

September 3, 2022 8:58 am  #3

mace wrote:

The only Canadian children shows I watched were The Friendly Giant, The Professor's Hideaway, Razzle Dazzle and the Forest Rangers [with that relentlessly cheerful theme song] The rest of my free time was spent with Rocketship 7, Popeye's Playhouse, Felix The Cat, Mighty Mouse and Underdog.

I'm with you Mace. Mr Dressup was fine, but I looooved The Friendly Giant. "Look up. Look waaaay up. I'll call Rusty!"
I also enjoyed Forest Rangers reruns. Razzle Dazzle was before my time, but I fondly remember The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show.

I too was a Rocketship 7 fan in the morning and Commander Tom in the afternoon.
I was very disappointed when Good Morning America debuted in 1975 causing Rocketship 7 to be cancelled. But by then I was 12 and getting a bit long in the tooth for cartoons.

September 3, 2022 11:16 am  #4

The Canadian kids shows I watched regularly would have been Uncle Bobby, Razzle Dazzle, Friendly Giant/Chez Helene, The New Adventures of Pinocchio, Tales of the Wizard of OZ, when I was older I did enjoyed The Hilarious House of Frightenstein.  I liked Rocketship 7 and I didn't watch Commander Tom that much.  Really liked The Adventures of Bullwinkle and Friends (used to watch it twice since NBC and CTV showed it at different times. ABC had the series in black and white from 1959 to 1961 and NBC picked up the show in colour from 1961 to 1964.