sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2016 7:53 pm  #1

Q107's Andy Frost Loses ACC Leaf P.A. Gig

He'll still be on the radio at Q but he won't be doing his things for the Leafs.

Maple Leafs silence Andy Frost as public address announcer

It comes on the same day Rogers confirmed the world's worst kept secret: MacLean is back on HNIC and Strombo is out.

June 27, 2016 8:19 pm  #2

Re: Q107's Andy Frost Loses ACC Leaf P.A. Gig

Sparing no expense, straight down into the Star archives for a photo. Shouldn't it indicate somewhere "file photo"?

June 27, 2016 11:03 pm  #3

I am not pleased about this...nor am I happy about the drop-kicking of Glenn Healy out the Rogers door as their between benches analyst.  HIS insight was honest and unique and therefore a breath of fresh air.  His departure will make watching hockey on Rogers 'network of futility' even less enjoyable.  [Futile?  Ya.  Seen the ratings?]

As for Andy...HE became the voice of the Leafs...through thick and thin.  So what?  The all 'new' Leafs who have yet to prove that they even deserve to represent the sweater [or the fans] or even call themselves Leafs have decided that their new direction requires a new 'voice'?  The management who has yet to pull off anything at all noteworthy other than lucking out [by sucking most] and grabbing the 1st over-all lottery pick has decided that they can continue to 'ffffffiddle' with the identity of the ffffffranchise?  Now?  At this point in time?

Nice that Andy SAYS that he's OK with it...but he isn't really.  What PRO would be?  AND if he's replaced by some  half-assed, low talent, piddly-voiced, 1/2-miler...he'll be even more ticked off.

Hey Leaf management...Bell...Rogers...[speaking of 1/2-milers]...do something MEANINGFUL ON THE ICE before you start tinkling with the icon.  ADD something to it before you start tearing strips off of that which you shouldn't be wasting even a second of your time on.

What?  You found someone to do it for one third the price?  Dickweeds!!!!

Last edited by Old Codger (June 27, 2016 11:06 pm)

June 28, 2016 2:25 am  #4

Old Codger wrote:

I am not pleased about this...nor am I happy

​On a positive note, this will provide A. Frost time to freshen the PsychoPsundae play list 

June 28, 2016 10:35 am  #5

It will be interesting to see...well more correctly hear just who replaces Andy Frost...

Are they going to have auditions ??

As I recall that's how Andy got the job....Leafs general manager Ken Dryden sat in the stands with his eyes closed and had each applicant go through  a list of hockey announcements over the  p.a. He picked Andy...

So will the Leafs now go with a young, hip sounding, slightly "freaky". uptempo, far less formal, that guy sounds like his hair's on fire approach to the hockey announcements ????

I'm betting they will...

June 28, 2016 11:29 am  #6

I hear Strombo is available...

June 28, 2016 12:42 pm  #7

I liked Andy Frost's booming voice. Almost as good as Paul Morris, whom I believe started as the MLG announcer in 1961. The guy at the Montreal Forum was pretty good also.

June 30, 2016 11:23 pm  #8

I miss the days when it you called the Leafs general phone number and you were initially greeted by Morris's voice giving you options on who to connect to.

June 30, 2016 11:54 pm  #9

verger wrote:

I miss the days when it you called the Leafs general phone number and you were initially greeted by Morris's voice giving you options on who to connect to.

Yes there is no doubt that Paul Morris was iconic in that job...

July 3, 2016 10:47 am  #10

mace wrote:

I liked Andy Frost's booming voice. Almost as good as Paul Morris, whom I believe started as the MLG announcer in 1961. The guy at the Montreal Forum was pretty good also.

Let's not forget Milt Ellis, the longtime PA announcer for the Sabres, too!

July 3, 2016 12:54 pm  #11

ckg927 wrote:

mace wrote:

Let's not forget Milt Ellis, the longtime PA announcer for the Sabres, too!

Or Harvey Wittenberg of the Chicago Blackhawks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuR9qKA4HLU

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 5, 2016 12:51 pm  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

it's time to start listing hockey announcers from days of yore

The jury is still out on whether Jim Robson didn't want to come to Toronto or whether citizens of Vancouver would have voted to separate if the Canucks got Bill Hewitt 

July 5, 2016 12:52 pm  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

And now it's time to start listing hockey announcers from days of yore.  

The telegraph.
The telephone.

After 1967...it didn't really matter.

July 5, 2016 12:58 pm  #14

Hard to identify a more beloved current PA announcer in the town he serves than Stu Schwartz (Ottawa Senators / Mornings at Majic100).