sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2022 2:25 pm  #1

Cannonball

Anyone remember the old Cannonball TV series from back in the 50s? I was just a kid at the time and I loved it.

Every week the two truckers, Mike and the younger Jerry would set off on a run to somewher in Ontario and they always ended up in some kind of adventure, usually involving criminals.

Jerry was a ham radio operator and had a rig in their truck (That was the days before CB). He would often use that to get them out of whatever jam they were in.

Jerry lived in the home with Mike and his family. That now seems a little unhealthy. Mike's teenage daughter, Ginny, had the hots for Jerry.

Last edited by turkeytop (August 1, 2022 9:46 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 1, 2022 2:49 pm  #2

Re: Cannonball

Keep on truckin' baby!

August 1, 2022 3:10 pm  #3

Check out Uncle Earl's Classic TV - https://www.solie.org/alibrary/Cannonball.html

August 1, 2022 3:36 pm  #4

I love the vintage highway shots.  On the theme, we see them traveling Niagara Bound on the QEW approaching Hurontario, but the camera is facing Toronto Bound.  Then we see them on what would now be the westbound Gardiner past Park Lawn, but was then the QEW.

I have a feeling that the hitchhiker shot is on the 401 east of Leslie and west of Woodbine Ave (now the 404/DVP).  There is a scene where the highway bends, so it could be eastbound 401 towards Morningside.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 1, 2022 3:43 pm  #5

Only a veteran traffic guy would be able to spot these!

Nice going! (Notice how they never faced any construction delays?)

August 1, 2022 3:55 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

(Notice how they never faced any construction delays?)

They only had 30 minutes to wrap it up.  Are there any 30 minute drama shows anymore?

August 1, 2022 4:21 pm  #7

turkeytop wrote:

Are there any 30 minute drama shows anymore? 

ABC World News, CBS Evening News and NBC Nightly News.

August 1, 2022 4:27 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Keep on truckin' baby!

This episode originally aired on CBC Mon Feb 23, 1959.

August 1, 2022 5:09 pm  #9

I was amazed at how slowly the closing credits rolled up the screen. The only cast member still alive is Steve Barringer who played Butch, the 10 year old son of Mike Malone. He is 74.

August 1, 2022 6:38 pm  #10

I grew up around Owen Sound. On one show. Mike and Jerry were taking a trip to Owen Sound.

I was filled with pride. Of course, they never made it to Owen Sound. They ran into some kind of crisis around Orangeville.

The bubble of pride I had been feeling was quickly burst when Mike went to a pay phone in Orangeville and it had a rotary dial phone. We still didn't have such modern technology in Owen Sound, which, I fancied, to be a much larger centre than Orangeville.

Last edited by turkeytop (August 1, 2022 9:45 pm)