sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2022 2:19 pm  #1

Too Much Talk

The Jays TV broadcasts are becoming hard to view as Dan Schulman and Pat Tabler seem its necessary to make sure there is no dead air gap.  Their incessant dialogue is annoying and much of their conversation seems irrelevant to the game.  Turned down the TV audio, turned on the radio, tolerable.

July 24, 2022 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Too Much Talk

No "c" in Shulman

July 24, 2022 3:55 pm  #3

laffin wrote:

The Jays TV broadcasts are becoming hard to view as Dan Schulman and Pat Tabler seem its necessary to make sure there is no dead air gap.  Their incessant dialogue is annoying and much of their conversation seems irrelevant to the game.  Turned down the TV audio, turned on the radio, tolerable.

As much as I didn't like the idea of Ben Wagner doing the games solo, I have to admit that when he did have a partner for some of the season, the guy doing colour never shut up, as if even a second of dead air or crowd noise was too much. I'm glad they've stopped it for the time being. 

I think it was Jerry Howarth who observed that part of the art of doing baseball on the radio is knowing when NOT to talk and let the crowd or natural sound tell the story. 

July 24, 2022 4:32 pm  #4

That was Ben Nicholson-Smith, if I recall, a Sports Net sportswriter NOT a broadcaster.

July 24, 2022 4:48 pm  #5

I think there was also another guy they had on temporarily - a former MLB catcher whose name I never caught. He also suffered from verbal diarrhea.

July 24, 2022 4:53 pm  #6

Well, don’t look now, but ole Bucky is back! Tuesday.

July 24, 2022 8:54 pm  #7

The former MLB catcher is Caleb Joseph.
I don't mind Dan and Tabby, but really look forward to Buck joining Dan Tuesday night.

July 25, 2022 12:21 am  #8

Buck is a very good color announcer alongside Shulman.  Buck doing play by play and Tabler doing color isn't a very good combination in my opinion.
I love that Wagner takes every opportunity to tell the listener that he isn't on the road with the team.  Today he started a story with, "It's been a while since I was in Boston but last time I was there..."  

July 25, 2022 3:46 pm  #9

These guys get paid to talk. Obviously, they’re being paid by the word.

The great thing about TV play-by-play is your picture can tell the story and the announcer
gets to fill in the names (and descriptions) especially when something out of the ordinary is taking place at that moment, as in, “Ohmigod, three runs have just scored and the guy who hit the ball is
rounding third and Tapia’s going to rack up an IN-THE-PARK GRAND SLAM!!
Otherwise, there’s no need to describe every little mundane movement, which appears to be the
purview of hockey PBP announcers more often than not. The British football guys have long been the
experts on television.

I agree with Tomas. Buck is better at colour. Always has been. One thing I noticed a while back:
When Tabby was off for a few days, Dan and Joe Siddall worked together. They sounded great…
having a grand time.