sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2022 9:44 am  #1

Baseball & The Radio: Who Was Your Favourite Play-By-Play Announcer?

The linked article below is about the power of a transistor radio and a powerful personality behind the mic calling a baseball game - in this case, the great Vin Scully at Dodgers Stadium. It includes an amazing stunt he pulled early on in his stay in L.A.

"In 1960, just for fun, Scully made a request that demonstrated his reach and power. On the broadcast one night, he asked fans at the game to await his count to three, then shout “Happy Birthday, Frank!” to umpire Frank Secory.

"If fans at the game were not listening in any great numbers, Scully could have been embarrassed. Instead, Secory was startled by the loud greeting.

“That was the night I realized that, if I used it very carefully, the transistor radio could be a great bridge between me and the fans,” Scully said."

Vin Scully, Dodgers fan and the transistor radio: How an unbreakable bond was formed

I remember going to the old Exhibition Stadium (may it rust in pieces) with a radio, listening to Tom & Jerry call a Jays game. It wasn't necessary, but it just seemed like the thing to do - especially when the seats weren't close. 

There have been some great voices of the game over the years, but it's only natural that your hometown homers are generally your favourites. I was OK with Tom Cheek, who'd been there from the beginning, and I well recall the first time I heard Howarth. I have to admit I wasn't impressed. But he was new, not as experienced as he would become and eventually he grew on me so much that he became the best play-by-play voice in my estimation. 

He had the unique talent of making even a boring blow-out exciting. That is not an easy feat over three hours or more. (I had the chance to briefly work with him from a distance for a time. He had the uncanny ability to meet you once, hear your name and then run into you two years later and remember it without hesitation. Amazing.)

But it was what he did in the final game of the Blue Jays first World Series in Atlanta that has stayed with me all these years. It was his time in the bottom of the inning. But he graciously turned it over to Cheek to allow his longtime partner to call the Jays first ever championship and that final out. He didn't have to do it. But it was one of the most selfless moments I've ever heard on the radio. What a class act he was/is. I miss his voice on those games to this day. 

So who are your choices as the best voices in baseball broadcasting? Vin Scully is amazing, working alone in a booth for decades, never needing a partner. I know some here might choose Ernie Harwell in Detroit, but I was never a fan of his style. 

Tony Kubeck used to drive some people crazy (it wasn't a line drive!) but I was always fond of his contributions when he worked doing colour for the NBC and CTV games. (Remember when there were weekly games on CTV with Don Chevrier?) I always had a soft spot (which many have pointed out is all in my head!) for Jon Miller. 

Or maybe you were fond of Dave van Horne if you grew up listening to the Expos. (If memory serves, the old CKLB in Oshawa used to carry those games, even after the Jays were born.) I think Dan Shulman is an incredible talent and could be around for decades to come. 

Is/are there one or two of these Voices of the Game who you recall fondly? Howarth will always be my choice. But I admit my hometown prejudice. 

The Best Baseball Announcers of All Time

July 15, 2022 9:54 am  #2

Re: Baseball & The Radio: Who Was Your Favourite Play-By-Play Announcer?

I'd almost forgotten about this - an entire segment from an old Larry King radio show (long before CNN) featuring a guy who'd written a book called "The Voices of the Game," about the people who called baseball on the air. It's a bit dated now, but still a fascinating listen, if you have any interest in this subject. 

Larry King Radio Show: The Voices of the Game

July 15, 2022 12:16 pm  #3

Tom Cheek was my favourite.  Loved it when he said "there's trouble looking for a place to happen" - when a jays pitcher would walk a batter.  There's been a lot of "trouble looking for a place to happen this year with the Jays' pitching staff.  Howarth and he were a great on-air pair, and sadly everyone who followed Tom and Jerry just aren't in their league.  You really nailed it in your comment about Howarth's grace.  That being said, I never was a fan of Fergie Oliver who I believe was the first Blue Jays TV play-by-play announcer on CFTO.  You're right, Van Horne was a great announcer.

July 15, 2022 3:21 pm  #4

Vin Scully, followed by Ernie Harwell and Harry Carey.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (July 15, 2022 3:24 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 15, 2022 7:19 pm  #5

I recall listening to the World Series in the 50s, 60s and 70s and calling the games were Bob Wolff, Bob Prince
and Jack Buck.  I also remember hearing some daytime Yankee games over WHLD Niagara Falls with the voices of
Mel Allen and Phil Rizzuto who, with every great play used to shout  "Holy Cow!".
Locally I was introduced to baseball by listening to Toronto Maple Leaf games (International League) on CKEY
with Joe Crysdale and Hal Kelly as well as Buffalo Bisons over WGR with Rog Baker and Bill Mazer who later gained
fame in New York with WNBC both radio and TV.
So many great memories thanks to these voices of the past.

July 15, 2022 10:19 pm  #6

I have to go with Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider.  What a team?  Also on my list, Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, Phil Rizzuto, Bob Prince, Harry Carey and, courtesy of YouTube, Red Barber.

July 16, 2022 6:28 am  #7

The Kansas Jays series has Arden Zwelling and Ben Wagner at the mic.  It's a chore to listen, there seems to be the need for Zwelling to constantly say something between each play, something anything!  Too much unnecessary, irrelevant conversation, let Wagner describe the on-field play.  Because of the superfluous conversation, Wagner doesn't have the time to describe other baseball byplay, and what's the deal with Caleb Joseph?  Where is Jerry "Hello Friends" Howarth when you need him.   

July 16, 2022 7:49 am  #8

As a Blue Jays fan I loved Tom and Jerry. And who remembers Early Wynn in the old days?
Currently I think Dan Shulman is great, but I also love Buck Martinez and hope to hear him back in the booth soon.

For non Jays games I always loved those rare occasions when I could hear Vin Scully calling a Dodgers game.  And I still miss Jon Miller calling the ESPN Sunday night games.

July 16, 2022 7:20 pm  #9

On a trip to San Diego, I had the great pleasure of hearing Dick Enberg call several Padres games. He sounded much different as a local announcer than as a network play-caller. He was great either way.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 17, 2022 4:00 pm  #10

Out of the 80 names on that announcer list, there were 44 I was not familiar with.