sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2022 8:31 am  #1

Rogers Outage

Rogers customers woke up to an internet/mobile nationwide outage this morning. And this company wants more control? Glad I switched years ago.

July 8, 2022 8:35 am  #2

Re: Rogers Outage

I heard 680 apologize for their on-air newscasts in the morning, admitting that the outage was affecting the way they normally do their jobs and pleading with listeners for "understanding." Not a great look for a company that sells how wonderful their Internet services are, while the effects of this are spreading all over the city. 

July 8, 2022 9:20 am  #3

I wonder if they've been hacked.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 8, 2022 9:47 am  #4

turkeytop wrote:

I wonder if they've been hacked.

group of disgruntled Jays fans....

July 8, 2022 10:03 am  #5

I mute my sound on my TV or radio every time they run one of those "Rogers has the best internet" ads - constantly on Sportsnet and their radio properties..  Been with Bell Fibe for approximately 6 years, and have had very few outages, and even those did not last more that a few minutes..  My daughter lived in the Bermuda triangle of Rogers internet outages...and they also switched.  We're still on Rogers mobile, but not for much longer

July 8, 2022 10:29 am  #6

Another casualty of the outage: CBC's Kitchener-Waterloo station isn't available to listeners.

CBC Kitchener off the air in large internet outage

July 8, 2022 10:29 am  #7

They are the kind of outages, even with internet WHEN I had them it was a monthly thing.   Bell is absolutely loving today, which isnt good eitheir because they are going to get even more cocky.

July 8, 2022 10:54 am  #8

A bad day for Canada's middle class.
What will they do with that lump of hardware they have glued to the palm of their hands?
What will they do with their hands when they'ra at Starbucks?

Last edited by turkeytop (July 8, 2022 10:54 am)

July 8, 2022 10:58 am  #9

I have had both Rogers and Bell over the years and Bell is much more reliable.  They have the odd outage but not nearly as often or as long as Rogers.  And their Fibe TV for me at least is more reliable.  My last few years that I had Rogers, the HD box would reboot, 3,4,5 times per week and sometimes take an hour.  I have had Bell Fibe for six years now and the TV has gone down to reboot only 7 or 8 times and usually only takes about 30 seconds, the longest was about 5 minutes.  

July 8, 2022 11:04 am  #10

This will give CityNews Ottawa an excuse not to return phone calls or emails.  After all, they are in the communication business.

July 8, 2022 11:25 am  #11

Listening to 680 news and their traffic report is brought to you by "Rogers home internet" lol 

July 8, 2022 11:46 am  #12

I remember that whenever there was a major plane crash with loss of life, radio stations traffic departments were under orders to suspend airline advertising, by the media buyers/agencies.  Guess that Rogers won't suspend their continuous mobility and internet puffery ads on all media....what a crash and burn!

July 8, 2022 2:05 pm  #13

Rogers outrage?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 8, 2022 3:52 pm  #14

Funny to hear Arlene Bynon (in for John Oakley) complaining about the Internet apparently being down at Corus Quay. Now we know who they use! 

The strangest part is she's asking for phone calls from people affected by the outage. How she expects them to call when their cells aren't working is another story altogether.

July 8, 2022 4:04 pm  #15

Just got back from our local Lee Valley store. I was hoping to pick up a catalogue. The woman told me they don't have catalogues anymore. Everything's online.

They aren't able to reveive orders today. Their Internet is down

July 8, 2022 4:30 pm  #16

Arlene Bynon is doing the entire afternoon drive show on 640 without any guests, because they can't get anyone on due to the outage. (They can take calls from listeners but not calls from guests? I don't get it.) She's marveling that people are saying they're listening to the station on - gasp! - an actual old-fashioned battery-powered radio! Who'd a thunk it? 

She was also amazed when a woman called in to say she had a "copper wire" on her phone that worked despite the outage. In other words, a landline that always functions during a power outage. Why is this news to her and other callers? It really hasn't been that long since these things were common so that people would be "amazed" by it, has it?

By the way, she admits she's doing the show remotely over the web, so her connection must be working. It's the station's that is down. She's obviously NOT on Rogers at home! (Why is Corus not using Shaw for their internet?)

July 8, 2022 5:08 pm  #17

I’m a Fido customer and I’m in Seattle for the Jays game this evening. Even though I get reception from AT&T and have roaming turned on, I can’t access data and I don’t think any text messages I’ve sent today are getting through. (I’ve been in the US for a few days and everything worked fine yesterday)

As a precaution I’ve added my ticket to Apple Wallet, which I’ve never used before today.

July 8, 2022 5:32 pm  #18

While my wife was watching Y&R on Global this afternoon, master control cut to "CIII Toronto" bars & tone for 30 seconds at the end of the third segment, roughly where the traffic report is normally inserted just before 5pm. Likely "Global 1" relies on Rogers to feed chopper A/V.

Here in the Ottawa Valley, our Rogers phones are attempting to cut over to "EXT" service via the Bell network, and might be back online soon. The rest of our services (Internet, TV, home phone) are with Cogeco and, knock on wood, have been up all day with no issues.

July 8, 2022 6:05 pm  #19

Forward Power wrote:

While my wife was watching Y&R on Global this afternoon, master control cut to "CIII Toronto" bars & tone for 30 seconds at the end of the third segment, roughly where the traffic report is normally inserted just before 5pm. Likely "Global 1" relies on Rogers to feed chopper A/V.

Here in the Ottawa Valley, our Rogers phones are attempting to cut over to "EXT" service via the Bell network, and might be back online soon. The rest of our services (Internet, TV, home phone) are with Cogeco and, knock on wood, have been up all day with no issues.

Global BC just posted on Facebook that they are having difficulties with their online live broadcasts - which I assume impacts all of Global and not just BC.

July 8, 2022 6:21 pm  #20

Wonder if Rogers system was hacked.  They started having problems at about 3am this morning, so this has been going on for over 15 hours. There has been no word on when service could be restored.  

July 8, 2022 6:28 pm  #21

Forward Power wrote:

No,  the bars and tone with ident are from the Toronto control room...   Shaw deployed their own JPEG2000 network shortly after acquiring the former CanWest back in 2010...   The CTN traffic helicopter transmits COFDM to sector antennas on the CN Tower....  Rogers infrastructure is not used by Shaw/Corus...   maybe soon,  but not at the moment.

Rogers has a few black eyes and another technical concussion to heal from first... before for they look to ramping up the network cut over from Shaw...   Two MAJOR national network outages in the span of fifteen months...  c'mon !!!

July 8, 2022 6:44 pm  #22

Glen Warren wrote:

No,  the bars and tone with ident are from the Toronto control room...   Shaw deployed their own JPEG2000 network shortly after acquiring the former CanWest back in 2010...   The CTN traffic helicopter transmits COFDM to sector antennas on the CN Tower....  Rogers infrastructure is not used by Shaw/Corus...   maybe soon,  but not at the moment.

Ahh, ok... I stand corrected.

July 8, 2022 6:51 pm  #23

If nothing else, a lot of people cut off from both streaming services and social media have been listening to the radio today for the first time in a long time whether it's for music or news.

Last edited by Hansa (July 8, 2022 6:53 pm)

July 8, 2022 7:01 pm  #24

There's no reason major legislation shouldn't result from this mess. The Canadian economy will suffer today as a result of Rogers' incompetence. I'm a Rogers customer for home internet but thankfully my neighbour has allowed me to use their Bell hotspot. Many regulations should be put into place including forcing major players to segment their networks so a widespread issue such as this can never happen, changing the way cell phones connect to 911 to prevent one downed carrier from causing calls not to go through, and why on earth debit services in this country all rely on one telecom provider. Many many failures identified today. I'm sure the government will do nothing about it, but imagine if this was a cyber attack. You take down one network and you can nearly crash the Canadian economy. If this goes on all weekend we might just see the ramifications of that. 

Last edited by torontostan (July 8, 2022 7:01 pm)

July 8, 2022 7:06 pm  #25

fwiw...  my Rogers cellphone service returned around 5:45pm this afternoon...   Just says "Rogers" so I assume it is one of the older legacy network tiers (normally, my phone switches between 4G and LTE).
I'm in north Burlington, and I can spit at the Rogers (old Cantel) 320' tower at Hwy. 5 and Cedar Springs road  (it is on the Cogeco Burlington head end site).

I ditched cable and satellite about six years ago, so I'm curious how the Rogers Pay/Specialty channels fared today?  CITY, and the two OMNIs were on the air unimpeded today here in the gta when I check via OTA. But what about the SportsNets, and SN360?  and the other Specialty channels?

July 8, 2022 7:23 pm  #27

I bet not a single NT1010 host will discuss the idea of breaking up Bell and Rogers- and no one suggesting that will appear on CTV News or City.

July 8, 2022 7:29 pm  #28

I had to laugh when CTV Toronto's 6 PM newscast advised viewers wanting the latest information on the Rogers outage to check the station's website. How, exactly, they didn't say.

July 8, 2022 7:47 pm  #29

Hansa wrote:

If nothing else, a lot of people cut off from both streaming services and social media have been listening to the radio today for the first time in a long time whether it's for music or news.

I've always said that online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Today, someone pinched off the feeding tube.

Last edited by turkeytop (July 8, 2022 9:42 pm)

July 8, 2022 8:29 pm  #30

I am so glad I have Legacy cable still. I was able to watch TV while Ignite TV was out.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.