sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2022 11:40 am  #1

List of disc jockeys who helped shape the Detroit radio community

There are a number of names here I'm not familiar with, but fair to say Jack Paar also worked for a time in Buffalo before achieving fame as host of The Tonight Show.

I do find it odd that Dick Purtan isn't on the list. And while I realize this is supposed to be a list of Detroit talent, how they can ignore the jocks from CKLW in the 60s - which, let's face it - for all intents and purposes was a Motown radio station, is totally beyond me. 

List of disc jockeys who helped shape the Detroit radio community

June 30, 2022 12:32 pm  #2

Re: List of disc jockeys who helped shape the Detroit radio community

I agree RA. A pretty shallow article. The author glided over the 60's and 70's when many DJ's came to the fore and radio had much more influence. No mention of personalities from WKNR either.

July 1, 2022 10:28 am  #3

They should have included WRIF's Jim Johnson and the Morning Crew with Richard T. Bruiser. When I heard them, one morning via tropo, they sent me one of their D.R.E.A.D. cards. Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. What about Ernie Harwell who was the voice of the Detroit Tigers for 42 years.

July 1, 2022 11:02 am  #4

No Arthur P "BABY!'
Not a Detroit Radio  list...

July 1, 2022 11:07 am  #5

mace wrote:

They should have included WRIF's Jim Johnson and the Morning Crew with Richard T. Bruiser. When I heard them, one morning via tropo, they sent me one of their D.R.E.A.D. cards. Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. What about Ernie Harwell who was the voice of the Detroit Tigers for 42 years.

Not sure if you can call Ernie Harwell a Disc Jockey. I suspect it's the same reason the Wally Crouter of Detroit Radio - J.P. McCarthy, the longtime morning man on WJR - didn't make the list. 

July 1, 2022 4:12 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

mace wrote:

Not sure if you can call Ernie Harwell a Disc Jockey. I suspect it's the same reason the Wally Crouter of Detroit Radio - J.P. McCarthy, the longtime morning man on WJR - didn't make the list. 

The name you want was Frantic Ernie Durham, huge in Detroit. In fact, he worked at *two* stations at the
same time, one in Flint and the other, WJLB in the Motor City.
Speaking of two at one time, J.P. McCarthy (30 years in Detroit) at one point did both morning and
afternoon drive on WJR. No J.P. on this list, and the list is just not credible.

Here’s another of the many missing worthy names: Tom Shannon, Big 8 CKLW. Huge.