sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2022 10:53 am  #1

Rompin Ronnie Hawkins Gone At 87

[color=inherit]The Band: A History[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/TheBandPodcast]@TheBandPodcast We’re hearing from Terry Danko that Ronnie Hawkins has been removed from life support. It is very sad. Hawkins truly is a Canadian music legend and inspired and mentored so many of our country's best.

May 29, 2022 1:38 pm  #2

Re: Rompin Ronnie Hawkins Gone At 87

The crawl on CBC News Network just announced Mister Hawkins has passed at 87.
RIP to the mentor of many, many Canadian artists.

May 29, 2022 2:58 pm  #3

The CBC's obit. I'm assuming there will be a lot of retrospectives in the days to come. 

Ronnie Hawkins, musician who called Canada home and mentored the Band, dead at 87

May 29, 2022 5:43 pm  #4

May 29, 2022 10:50 pm  #5

He was my good friend for over 55 years.  He introduced me to the greats and the near greats.  Ronnie thanks for being so good to me.  I'll miss you.
R.I.P.

May 29, 2022 11:09 pm  #6

In a statement on Twitter, Robbie Robertson pays tribute to Hawkins, the man he calls The Band's "mentor."

"Ronnie Hawkins brought me down from Canada to the Mississippi delta when I was 16. He recorded two songs I’d written and thought I might be talented. He tried me out on guitar and bass the only problem was; I’m too young to play in the clubs they toured, I was too inexperienced, not a good enough musician yet, and there are NO Canadians in southern rock and roll bands. But I practiced until my fingers were bleeding and he ended up hiring me against all odds."

May 30, 2022 12:44 am  #7

Ronnie Hawkins is interviewed by Bob Laine and Duff Roman during the 2007 Open Doors Toronto broadcast on 1050 CHUM in this week's edition of the CHUM DJ Hall of Fame at chumtribute.com. 

May 30, 2022 7:02 am  #8

Doug Thompson wrote:

Ronnie Hawkins is interviewed by Bob Laine and Duff Roman during the 2007 Open Doors Toronto broadcast on 1050 CHUM in this week's edition of the CHUM DJ Hall of Fame at chumtribute.com. 

Thanks Doug. Here's the link to that page.

May 30, 2022 7:16 am  #9

Most people know that Hawkins was born and raised in Arkansas, where he got his start. Here's how one of the major newspapers there noted his passing. Some interesting info in the piece from various sources that I haven't read in other obits - including a pic of a much younger and almost unrecognizable Hawkins. 

Arkansas Democrat Gazette: Rockabilly pioneer and Arkansas native Ronnie Hawkins dies at 87