sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2022 11:09 am  #1

What Will Happen To Q107's Ratings Without Derringer?

In an opinion piece in Broadcast Dialogue, industry veteran David Bray speculates that a Derringer-less Q won't feel the pain in the long run.

"Are the people who love Q’s music going to abandon the station because of an announcer change? I can think of only four or five instances in Canadian radio history when that has happened."

At Q107, the format is the star. What a Derringer exit might mean for Toronto’s rock station

May 26, 2022 11:28 am  #2

Re: What Will Happen To Q107's Ratings Without Derringer?

In the long run, or for that matter even in the short term, I think the ratings will remain as they are.

Somewhat coincidentally, the subject of J.D. berating co-hosts is what brought me to discover SOWNY. I Google searched where Craig Venn was, and why he left,  just after after his departure from "Q" so many years ago. I clearly remember Craig and Ryan Parker (new unpaid intern at the time) getting into somewhat heated discussions on-air, and J.D. was I believe an instigator of many of those encounters.

Anyways, the first hit with any real information of value was the Big Yellow Board. Thanks SOWNY, for all the years of the years of info and insight itno the world of Radio/TV the many contibutors have provided.

Last edited by DeepTracks (May 26, 2022 11:33 am)

May 26, 2022 12:15 pm  #3

Right, so what is being said here? That Q 107 should pick up the Bob & Tom show from the States because it's cheaper and nobody really cares? Or what...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2022 12:56 pm  #4

They have a good opportunity to update their show and their whole station/brand.

Add a few more breaks back in instead of playing an ID clip after a commercial island and just going back into music. It sounds lazy and breaks one of the guidelines of radio, having your ID and a spot side by side. Put the focus back on the DJ so people hear a human being more often.

Come up with a great contest, something about pets, sports, the city, maybe resurrect the Q107 battle of the bands to actively involved the listener.

Have all the personalities out and about in Toronto, donating blood, volunteering at the food bank, anything else you can think of to freshen up the dry as Melba toast product they've got right now.

Last edited by betaylored (May 26, 2022 1:01 pm)

May 26, 2022 1:48 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

Right, so what is being said here? That Q 107 should pick up the Bob & Tom show from the States because it's cheaper and nobody really cares? Or what...?

There's a long history of syndicated morning shows flopping in Toronto (at least if they're based somewhere else and piped in here). Not sure if it matters as much who replaces Derringer as long as the show remains a Toronto show. 

May 26, 2022 1:48 pm  #6

Q will replace JD with the same old milquetoast man and woman shit (cheaper folks from out west as that's the Corus wheelhouse) that most everyone else is using nowadays....safe, fluffy, little opinion, full of fake laughs and will add another song per hour to fill in the time...ratings will level out after the initial wave of 'protest' and they might even gain some different listeners to make up for any they lose...

May 26, 2022 2:37 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

There's a long history of syndicated morning shows flopping in Toronto (at least if they're based somewhere else and piped in here). Not sure if it matters as much who replaces Derringer as long as the show remains a Toronto show. 

Howard Stern wasn't a flop though, & Bob & Tom do fit the rock format, at least.  
The other possible idea is to air the Y108/FM 96 morning show and really save some money! 

May 26, 2022 3:09 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Howard Stern wasn't a flop though, & Bob & Tom do fit the rock format, at least.  
The other possible idea is to air the Y108/FM 96 morning show and really save some money! 

It might save them money but it won't make them any.  Advertisers won't pay Toronto rates for a Hamilton show.  

May 26, 2022 7:50 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

In an opinion piece in Broadcast Dialogue, industry veteran David Bray speculates that a Derringer-less Q won't feel the pain in the long run.

"Are the people who love Q’s music going to abandon the station because of an announcer change? I can think of only four or five instances in Canadian radio history when that has happened."

At Q107, the format is the star. What a Derringer exit might mean for Toronto’s rock station

Pretty much what I said in a previous post. Derringer is knowledgeable and professional-sounding, I'll give him that, but I always found his delivery to be a little bland. Certainly not in the same league as somebody like Mike Cooper, Roger Ashby or Stu Jeffries, (to name a few), who've made listening to the radio fun. 

Ironically, with the Derringer in the Morning show being removed from the station's website, the first show listed on the menu is a woman - Joanne Wilder. Maybe they should try her out for a while? That would send a good message and probably give the station some much needed PR. They could even use the tagline, "Mornings just got a little Wilder!" Just a thought.

As an aside, while we're on the subject of PR, they just posted this on their Facebook page, which, on a regular day, probably wouldn't raise too many shackles. But for a station that's currently battling sex discrimination issues, this seems like a serious lapse of judgement on someone's part:

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 26, 2022 8:46 pm  #10

bring back Craig set ready and loaded.

May 26, 2022 8:58 pm  #11

This from Fred really isn’t surprising.

May 27, 2022 2:36 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

What a Derringer exit might mean for Toronto’s rock station

At the above article’s conclusion, there is this EDITOR COMMENT: Corus Entertainment has retained Rachel Turnpenney from Turnpenney Milne LLP to conduct an external investigation into Jennifer Valentyne’s allegations related to her gender discrimination complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Derringer in the Morning will be on hiatus pending the conclusion of the investigation.  

Liz Braun in yesterday’s (26th) Toronto Sun made an interesting point:

>> When Corus suspended Derringer In the Morning, the company stated they had taken note of recent complaints, “and have retained Rachel Turnpenney from Turnpenney Milne LLP to conduct an external investigation.”

How a lawyer — hired by and paid for by Corus —  can do an ‘external’ or arm’s length investigation of Corus remains a mystery. (We asked Rachel Turnpenney that question, but her response to a previous inquiry: “We do not comment on investigations that we are involved in,” suggests we won’t get an answer.) <<

May 28, 2022 1:18 am  #13

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Ironically, with the Derringer in the Morning show being removed from the station's website, the first show listed on the menu is a woman - Joanne Wilder. Maybe they should try her out for a while? That would send a good message and probably give the station some much needed PR. They could even use the tagline, "Mornings just got a little Wilder!" Just a thought.
PJ

Yup. That would work! She'd make for a great morning show.  

BTW, on a side note, 93.5 Today FM has split up the morning show (for a bit?)
Two weeks of just Paul and two weeks of Just Niki in the morning.
Niki has already done two solid weeks mornings all by herself, and she did a very good job also. 

It will be interesting on Monday to see if the two are back together doing mornings on Monday, or if Niki (or Paul) is back solo once again... 

The message I get from this (from strictly a listener's point of view) is that Stingray is treating their women well and giving them a fair chance.  

May 30, 2022 10:21 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Radio veteran Don Shafer, who worked at CHUM-FM and Q107 among other outlets, takes issue with David Bray, arguing in the same Broadcast Dialogue, that the talent is what attracts an audience over the format. I'm not sure how well that will sit with those who are condemning Derringer. 

"...having worked with some amazing teams across Canada, it’s my opinion that the format is not the magic that comes out of that “little box” that Orson Welles talked about.

"It’s about the heart and soul of the people who make it and their passion for radio." 

Don Shafer on Format vs. Talent

May 30, 2022 11:01 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Radio veteran Don Shafer, who worked at CHUM-FM and Q107 among other outlets, takes issue with David Bray, arguing in the same Broadcast Dialogue, that the talent is what attracts an audience over the format. I'm not sure how well that will sit with those who are condemning Derringer. 

"...having worked with some amazing teams across Canada, it’s my opinion that the format is not the magic that comes out of that “little box” that Orson Welles talked about.

"It’s about the heart and soul of the people who make it and their passion for radio." 

I will tolerate a mediocre DJ if the music mix is good.

I simply will not listen to a music mix I don't like regardless to how superb the DJ is.

May 30, 2022 11:10 am  #16

Maybe Corus will just put Willy in the Morning from Rock 101 Vancouver on Q107. They're already WITM on Q107 Calgary and Chuck 92.5 in Edmonton. 

May 30, 2022 12:47 pm  #17

g121 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I simply will not listen to a music mix I don't like regardless to how superb the DJ is.

Sadly this opinion may have resonated a bit more decades ago but in today's landscape it's wrong, it's all about format...period...people make no difference...throw some warm bodies in the control room, mix in some fake laughs and a little news and that's it....if you put Derringer on a country station the vast majority of his rock music listeners wouldn't follow him to hear Carrie Underwood...same thing goes for Roz and Mocha going to Q....those Top40/CHR people that listen to them now aren't going to move and tolerate Led Zeppelin and the Guess Who every hour...

May 30, 2022 1:26 pm  #18

Johnny B wrote:

g121 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Sadly this opinion may have resonated a bit more decades ago but in today's landscape it's wrong, it's all about format...period...people make no difference...throw some warm bodies in the control room, mix in some fake laughs and a little news and that's it....if you put Derringer on a country station the vast majority of his rock music listeners wouldn't follow him to hear Carrie Underwood...same thing goes for Roz and Mocha going to Q....those Top40/CHR people that listen to them now aren't going to move and tolerate Led Zeppelin and the Guess Who every hour...

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. The music is the first attraction. Without it, no one will ever hear your talent, no matter how good they are.

I've always heard great things about Cliff Dumas, who was the morning man at CHAM in Hamilton and the old country formatted CISS-FM in Toronto. The guy has been named Radio Personality of the Year in Canada 18 times and is the youngest broadcaster ever inducted into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame.

Yet I've never heard a second of what I'm sure is his excellent work on air. The reason? The music doesn't appeal to me, so I never tuned it in. As much as I admire personality radio, skipping through the songs just to hear the talent isn't worth the time and trouble. 

Although, admittedly, if anyone would do it, it's probably me!

May 30, 2022 4:13 pm  #19

Radio veteran Dave Charles, who helped put Q107 on the air and hired many women for important positions, rails against the misogyny that still runs through the broadcast business.

"The old boys club does exist in radio and in many other industries.  How awful to think that the BEST, MOST QUALIFIED person didn’t get the position because she is a woman.  Spare me your excuses and lame rationale.  It no longer cuts it with me.  Many great women have left the radio business never to return because some of you miscreant Neanderthals in management positions have behaved very badly.  The shame is on you."

The Crime of Gender Bias & Misogyny In Radio