sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2022 4:14 pm  #1

CRTC Chair Admits New Web Bill Will Allow Them To Censor Your Internet

Most here know I don't like wandering into politics, because it's very divisive and can create a lot of hard feelings, which we try to stay away from. But sometimes an issue concerning broadcasting comes up that's so serious, someone needs to say something. So here it is:

Earlier this week, CRTC Chair Ian Scott finally admitted before a House of Commons Committee what the government has been denying for months - the new Bill C-11, which will force CanCon and "discoverability" of Canadian content onto streaming services, does, in fact, contain provisions that will allow the Commission to oversee what you post on the Internet. 

But he insists they won't do it.

Scott, infamous for meeting with the Bell CEO for a "friendly drink" just hours after rolling back price decreases for consumer Internet bills, insists the CRTC will simply be too busy with more important issues to bother with what regular folks post to YouTube, search for on Google or place on other services. 

Which leads me to ask: do you believe him? Have you ever known a government to give a group of bureaucrats power that they don't wield at their own discretion? And if they have no intention of using (or in my mind, misusing) this power, then why not take out the clauses that even allow it in the first place?

A lot of people a lot smarter than me (U. of Ottawa law professor and Internet legal expert Michael Geist, former CRTC Chair Konrad von Finckenstein and ex-CRTC Commissioner Timothy Denton, among others) have warned continuously about this bill's potential for censoring the speech of all Canadians. Yet despite these expert caveats, the feds stubbornly refuse to delete this particular provision. The pending law has raised eyebrows and alarm in free countries around the world and for good reason. 

Hand's up those who think it won't ever be used. Bueller? Bueller?

In my mind, that tells you all you need to know. Why keep it if they don't intend to use it? I think the answer is obvious.

And more than a little disturbing. 

Bill would give CRTC power over user-generated content, but it won't use it: chair

May 20, 2022 5:30 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Chair Admits New Web Bill Will Allow Them To Censor Your Internet

"Most on here know I don't like wondering into politics..."    Please... RA, you bring up politics more than anyone else.  I am starting to think other than yammering about how great Buffalo radio, TV and most things American are, this is what you live for.  You retread this story about every two weeks, including Ian's after hours quaffing at an Ottawa pub. 

Youtube already watches and censors what people are posting, and not always doing a very good job. But at least now there is some attempt to keep the evil stuff off of the internet.  The CRTC has neither the time or the resources to do this, as was mentioned.  

And what "free countries" around the world are raising their eyebrows and are alarmed about this?  This is quite strange since other free countries are looking to do something similar.  An article or opinion piece from elsewhere that doesn't like the idea of government getting involved with social media content does not speak for a country. 

If this overseeing power is not going to be used, why keep it on the books?  It still could be dropped, but if it isn't, it also sends a message/threat to the social media giants to be more responsible, and get their act together.   If this doesn't happen, someone else will.  These five or six companies that have huge power and influence are getting this same message from more than just Canada, most responsible countries are on side with this. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 20, 2022 5:43 pm)

May 20, 2022 5:57 pm  #3

Wow. I'm somewhat stunned by this response. It wasn't even complaining about their insistence on forcing CanCon onto streamers. How could anyone want to allow their government - any government - to have a say in what you can and can't express on a forum? I know you love to argue with me, but on this I thought we could agree. 

Allowing any group - in this case, the less than accountable CRTC - to be able to censor expression they don't like is abhorrent and against anything I would guess most people would think is appropriate. Who gets to decide what's acceptable? Them? You? The NDP? The Conservatives? Who? How would you feel if I censored your reply because I didn't agree with it or that it wasn't proper? 

I would never do that. Do you trust the CRTC to have that same ethic? Or future CRTCs?

If they're insisting they won't use this newfound power, why not remove it altogether? They won't miss it - there are other laws in effect, including libel, slander, hate speech etc., that should be able to accomplish the same thing without the heavy hand of some faceless bureaucrats being able to just take your rights away. 

As for other countries, when the Prime Minister went to Europe for various summits over the past few years, there were several government representatives from other countries who were interviewed and expressed concern about what the feds were planning. I recall one of them asking, "What is Canada thinking?" And these are our allies!  So no, it wasn't just "opinion" pieces.

Yes, other nations have taken steps to make the Internet accountable, although for the most part, such Australia, it's more about getting payment for national journalism to ensure its survival at the hands of the Googles and Facebooks, which are profiting off the work of others. That's fine. They can do it. But not one of them has put in any provisions that allow their officials to oversee what their own people can put up on the web. 

This is a no-brainer in my opinion and yes, as a strong free speech advocate, I take it seriously. Want to impose CanCon rules? I hate it, but I can live with it. Want to help journalism? Good idea. 

But giving any elected entity the power to say, "You can't say that here, because we don't like it," is way too far. It's unconscionable. And it feels too close to say, what Russia is doing to its media - only say what I allow you to say, or suffer the consequences. Yes, this doesn't go as far as Putin's edicts, which involve jail and even death. But it's close enough in principle in some ways to scare the hell out of me. 

Why it doesn't do the same to you is also pretty frightening. 

So I ask again - if they have no intention of using these powers, what harm is there in taking them out of the bill before it passes? No one will miss something they won't use.

You should ask yourself why they're still there, despite all the warnings and all the experts who have decried this over and over and over. The only answer I can come up with is they want to use them eventually. And by then, it will be too late. 

So speak now. Before they one day decide to make you forever hold your peace.

May 20, 2022 8:14 pm  #4

C-11 is not about you having an opinion in a forum that the government may not like and your opinion censored or taken down.  Where does this viewpoint come from and it's based on what?   C-11 has never been about preventing people from expressing their opinions.  Those that are against regulations for the internet always bring in these dark 1984 exaggerated scenarios that are not based on anything. 

The bill is an attempt to keep dreadful, vile, wicked, hurtful material from showing up in the first place.  Yes there are slander laws, hate speech etc. but these usually are after the fact and  the damage has been done, and the material is out there. 

To trivialize C-11 as someone posting an opinion that the government may not like, and the comment is  then pulled off the net or censored is not dealing with reality and just a grandstanding sideshow and a waste of time.

Your argument is lost every time you bring up foolish comparisons of Russia and Canada. 

May 21, 2022 7:45 am  #5

Got to side with RA on this issue.

May 21, 2022 8:36 am  #6

The problem with RA's posts are that they are misleading exaggerations.  C-11 is not about you or I disagreeing about something and the government censoring us or taking down a comment.  It is not about what you can and can't say in a forum. And the dark scenarios of the government reading every word you post are laughable.   But every time this is what RA tries to peddle.   I will call him out on it every time.  

RA likes to say that the government censoring expression is abhorrent.  Well I guess the limits on what is allowed on twitter, facebook, youtube, tik tok  must be abhorrent as well?  The large social media sites have been shamed into getting a better handle on what is showing up on their platforms.  They are also being shamed to be more responsible. 

Freedom means nothing without responsibility. 

May 21, 2022 9:31 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

The problem with RA's posts are that they are misleading exaggerations.  C-11 is not about you or I disagreeing about something and the government censoring us or taking down a comment.  It is not about what you can and can't say in a forum. And the dark scenarios of the government reading every word you post are laughable.   But every time this is what RA tries to peddle.   I will call him out on it every time.  

RA likes to say that the government censoring expression is abhorrent.  Well I guess the limits on what is allowed on twitter, facebook, youtube, tik tok  must be abhorrent as well?  The large social media sites have been shamed into getting a better handle on what is showing up on their platforms.  They are also being shamed to be more responsible. 

May 21, 2022 10:11 am  #8

g121 wrote:

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

May 21, 2022 1:28 pm  #9

Ms. C. wrote:

g121 wrote:

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

Hi Geo.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 21, 2022 1:32 pm  #10

Dangerous to give the government too much power. It so easily can be misused. Why would you trust the government with this power in the first place?

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 21, 2022 6:22 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 21, 2022 10:36 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

I wasn't really going to weigh in on this again, but there's one thing that needs to be pointed out from this response. p1 seems to think I'm the only one expressing extreme concerns about the specific provisions in this bill. But what he conveniently ignores is that I'm not the only one. People far more qualified and impressive than I'll ever be have also come out 100% against it. 

I've mentioned the former Chair of the CRTC, and two separate former CRTC commissioners, who have also expressed serious reservations. And so has noted legal and Internet expert Michael Geist, a very respected expert from the University of Ottawa. Free speech advocates, who tend to lean left and would be more likely to support the current government in power, have also issued big concerns. 

But there's more. Many members of the Canadian Senate have also resisted this thing and in fact, in a rare moment of dissent, they refused to fast track the law through the "chamber of sober second thought" because they believed it was dangerous and needed another look. 

It is very, very unusual for the Canadian Senate to refuse to pass a law that got through the House of Commons. It almost never happens. But even they knew how troubling this could be. They asked that it be sent back for further review. That happened when it was Bill C-10, and it thankfully died when the last federal election was called.  

From June 2021:

'An insult to Parliament': No interest in fast-tracking Bill C-10, senators say

The fact that it's been reintroduced despite all the hue and cries it raised the first time tells you how desperate the government is to get it passed. You should ask yourself why that it is.

As for promises that yes, "we will have the power of Internet censorship but we'll never use it," may I remind you of what happened recently during the so-called trucker protest in Ottawa (which by the way, I did not support.) When the feds created the Emergency Act, they also said they were never likely to use it.

Until, of course, they did.

So forgive me if I have no faith in a politician from any party telling me to "Just give us the power, even though we'll never use it."

Again, if that's their position, then take out the offending clause and everyone's happy. You have to ask yourself if that's their feeling, why won't they do it? 

Based on recent history, I fear the answer is obvious. 

And with that, I think I've said all I really need to on this.  

May 23, 2022 8:56 pm  #12

And you have conveniently left out in the response your exaggerations and misleading statements.  The bill is not about censoring what you or I put up on SOWNY because the government doesn't like it. However you bring up this Orwellian scenario over and over, sort of like Post/Sun Media and their commentators.  And idiotic comparisons between Canada and Russia, diminishes your credibility and the arguments. 

Free speech advocates tend to be left??  Maybe years ago, most now are conservative.  However they also tend to leave out the important parts about responsibility and maturity. 

I have acknowledged Mr. Geist various times and even commented on his article that you posted last year, pointing out a few of his assumptions and mistakes. The fact that he and former commissioners of the CRTC who disagree with C-11 proves that Canada has a healthy democracy.  Geist has had more airtime and press about this than anything else he has written. Back and forth and disagreements are the way it should be, as long as it is based on facts and not exaggeration and lies.   

Those like yourself who don't like the bill tend to be individuals who don't want any restrictions on the internet which is to me the wrong side of the argument.   By the way Australia and the EU are looking at much more than just taxation for the social media giants like you implied.  They are in line with what Canada is proposing. 

The Emergency Act was used too late, and likely wasn't necessary.  It should have been enacted sooner.  Polls show that most Canadians (67%) didn't have a problem with the government using it and supported the usage.   Much the same as with the FLQ crisis in 1970, one of the most popular things that Pierre did at the time.  

May 24, 2022 7:25 pm  #13

I promised I would not respond to any more on this, having had my say, and I won't.

But I wanted to post an article from the Toronto Star that directly addresses this argument. 

Could the federal government regulate your cat videos on YouTube? Maybe, former CRTC vice-chair warns