sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2022 12:18 am  #1

AM 740 & Classical 96.3 Taking Part In Doors Open T.O. Free Stn. Tour

Ever wanted to see what a radio station looks like? This year's Doors Open Toronto is offering a free tour of Zoomer Radio's headquarters in Liberty Village, including a guided walk through AM740 and Classic 96.3 studios.

Several station personalities will also be there for a meet and greet, including the morning crew and Gene Stevens.

And you'll also get to see the MZTV Museum of Television featuring vintage and rare TV sets, among other things.

The event takes place for two days only on the last weekend of May.

More details here

I think other stations have done this before. I believe CHUM took part in one just before they abandoned music on the station and the lines were out the door. City TV used to also give tours of their studios for a while as part of this event, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.

May 16, 2022 6:30 am  #2

Re: AM 740 & Classical 96.3 Taking Part In Doors Open T.O. Free Stn. Tour

In the summer of 1970, two of my radio geek friends and myself booked tours of CKFH, CHUM and CFRB. I always remember walking up the long, dark staircase to the second floor of 1 Grenville St. to the cramped office and studios of my then favourite radio station, CKFH. We even got to meet Duff Roman! CFRB  and CHUM were located in opulant, spacious palaces compared to FH. Several years later, when I was visiting Buffalo, I toured WGR, WHTT and 97ROCK.. WBEN didn't offer tours.

May 16, 2022 12:40 pm  #3

When Moses moved to Liberty Village and took over 95.3's studios and the YTV space and the renovations were finished, there was a tour offered. The radio part was an immense improvement over what 95.3 was.

Last edited by The Weed (May 22, 2022 12:57 pm)

May 16, 2022 1:09 pm  #4

While I'm sure this would be an interesting tour, today's radio stations are a bunch of computer screens, a board and a few mics. Far more fascinating in the old days were the bigger control boards, the carts and the machines that played them, the reel-to-reels, the turntables and - in some cases - even the records. 

It was a lot less high tech, but there was a lot more for the eye to see. 

Still worth a tour, no doubt, but seeing a jock looking at a screen instead of picking the next spots out of tons of racks or cueing up the next record between songs is just not the same visually. At least not to me.

May 16, 2022 4:03 pm  #5

The TV Museum is truly a gem.  There are some items that are one of a kind.  The RCA "phantom" TV from the 1939 NY World's Fair is amazing.  So are some of the early TV's and I seem to recall a CBS Colour Wheel TV from the early 50's.  (the RCA system was adopted by the FCC).  I love the Philcos.  RCA Phantom and Philcos can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zub2oQxiaD8

May 21, 2022 1:44 pm  #6

The Weed wrote:

When Moses moved to Liberty Village and took over 95.3's studios and the YTV space and the renovations were finished, there was a tour offered. The radio part was an immense improvement over what 93.5 was.

93.5 or 95.3?

May 22, 2022 12:58 pm  #7

Yes, sorry, typo. 95.3 in both cases. The studios were pretty shabby before Zoomer Radio did a complete makeover.

May 25, 2022 12:50 pm  #8