sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2022 11:27 am  #1

Another Great Vintage TV Site Is Free On YouTube

I love old TV, especially the stuff I grew up with and haven't seen in years. And now I've found yet another free channel on YouTube that offers up shows so obscure, I'm not sure anyone else but me even remembers them. 

"Times Past Television" has everything from Garrison's Gorillas, Room 222, Marcus Welby M.D., Run Buddy Run, and rare colour versions of The Patty Duke Show, to episodes of Julia and Bridget Loves Bernie. (David Birney, the star of that short-lived and controversial show about a mixed marriage, passed away last week.) And that's just a partial list. 

There are also selected episodes of American Bandstand, featuring vintage performances from some amazing 60s and 70s rock stars in their prime. (It has a good beat and you can dance to it.) Then there's Dick Clark's long unseen daytime show, Where The Action Is, which featured Paul Revere and the Raiders as hosts and aired on ABC in the afternoons after I came home from school. 

If you're into swimming with nostalgia, you can dive into the deep end here. 

May 4, 2022 6:34 am  #2

Re: Another Great Vintage TV Site Is Free On YouTube

Thanks for the tip. I know about the show Where the Action Is from the theme song by Freddy Cannon but I don't think I actually saw the show. I do remember watching a follow up show called "It's Happening" in 1968.

I will also check out some of the obscure Sci-Fi that is listed on the channel and the color episodes of Patty Duke.

Anyway I watched two episodes of "Action" yesterday and even though the musical performances were lip synced with silly background dancing, still fascinating. I saw the Turtles, The Syndicate of Sound, The Five Americans and others.

Also saw the Robbs who apparently became the house band of the show after Paul Revere and The Raiders and who Dick Clark introduced by saying something like this group will be huge. The group featuring three brothers never did become huge but they did set a record for having the most ( Five) bubbling under hits on Billboard. The group got the last laugh though as they founded Cherokee studios in the 1970's and had success for decades as many top acts including Tom Petty, Bonnie Rait, Michael Jackson and many others recorded there.

Below is the Five Americans performance from the show. One of their lesser hits before they made top 20 with Western Union. Below that is Freddy Cannon with a cover of the Doors backed by The Strawberry Alarmclock. Noting to do with "Action" except that Freddy sang the theme song. Something I heard for the first time last week, thanks to You Tube:

Last edited by Fitz (May 4, 2022 6:40 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 4, 2022 9:00 am  #3

That Five Americans song peaked at #52 on the Hot 100.

May 4, 2022 11:29 am  #4

mace wrote:

That Five Americans song peaked at #52 on the Hot 100.

Originally  I only knew two songs by the Five Americans, Western Union and the similarly gimmicky follow-up Zip Code. In the late 70's I read about their garage origins and picked up a single or two and eventfully  a best of comp. Garage fans prefer the early singles but the more bubblegumy singles also have their charm.

Here's a slice of American Bandstand with Zip Code:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/