sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2022 5:21 pm  #1

Canada Getting Its Own Verson Of The "Eurovision Song Contest" In 2023

It's possible some here have never heard of the Eurovision Song contest, but it's a huge deal in Europe and has been a staple there since 1956, introducing new talent and new music for generations. Its most famous winner was likely a then relatively unknown group called ABBA, who wowed the judges and won with a ditty called "Waterloo." And from that, a musical dynasty began. 

It's now been announced that Canada will finally get its own version of the competition ("The Canavision?") but exactly which TV outlet will carry it, how it will be set up or which province or city might host it, has yet to be announced. But they'd better decide soon. It's scheduled to be held in 2023. 

More from BlogTO

April 30, 2022 7:05 am  #2

Re: Canada Getting Its Own Verson Of The "Eurovision Song Contest" In 2023

Sounds like CBC’s Rock Wars from the 80’s. I think Eurovision works largely due to the fact that it is an international contest, national pride etc. Still, an inter-provincial version might work. Would not be surprised if Citytv is the broadcaster.

May 1, 2022 8:13 pm  #3

For those on this side of the pond, CBS' 60 Minutes coincidentally did a piece on the contest on Sunday night's show. If you've never heard of Eurovision or seen it, you can't possibly imagine how big a deal this thing is in Europe and has been for many decades. It was America's Got Talent (itself a copy of a British show) and American Idol before either one ever existed.

You can see the 13-minute piece here, no VPN needed. 

May 2, 2022 7:43 am  #4

The first time I heard about the Eurovision contest was when ABBA won. The two female members certainly caught my attention. They had 14 top ten and/or #1's across Europe. On this side of the Atlantic, only three top 10's and Dancing Queen being their only Billboard chart topper.