sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2022 1:17 pm  #1

UK: How radio is beating streaming at its own game

We keep hearing that radio is "legacy media" and on its way out. However, it looks like UK broadcasters have figured out how to keep radio relevant and in the game. Are there any lessons here for Canadian and US stations? 

In with the old: How radio is beating streaming at its own game
Nine out of ten British adults still listen to the radio every week – despite the rise of streaming. New Statesman data analysis shows how the country’s biggest stations hold their audience’s attention in the digital era.

Last edited by Hansa (April 13, 2022 1:18 pm)

April 13, 2022 9:13 pm  #2

Re: UK: How radio is beating streaming at its own game

Radio in the UK has always done a few things really well.  Their most popular announcers are actually stars and are household names.  This is especially true on the radio networks and large stations.  Announcers have personality, some are funny and silly, others more into the music and talk about bands and artists but most generally sound well read and are entertaining in my opinion.  This applies to both private and public radio. 

BBC1 and 2 would also be a factor.  These radio networks have never had commercials, play top 40 and for decades have introduced many new artists and music trends.  BBC1 and 2 are public broadcasters but have the mass appeal of commercial radio.  Again their announcers are well known to the public, have personality and relate well to the audience.  Advantages that the streamers generally don't have. 

So yes there are lessons that we could learn from radio in the UK.  Get back to more personality and recognition of on air talent, more interesting music selection, and better quality content.  Endless talk about Will Smith's slap, COVID, and the fact you're happy to see Frito Lay products back at Loblaws is not that interesting and overdone.  When every station is talking about the same things is when people move on to the streamers or CBC radio. 

April 13, 2022 9:17 pm  #3

I listen to a lot of UK radio on MyTuner. Radio is a 24/7/365 operation over there. They don't shut down on weekends or on holidays as they do here. 

April 14, 2022 8:07 pm  #4

And don't overlook another factor - the British newspapers and online sites regularly cover radio and the personalities who work for it. There are several articles I find each and every day about the on-air people or what stations are up to. 

You're lucky if you can even find the word "radio" in any Canadian newspaper on any given day. 

April 15, 2022 12:58 am  #5

cash wrote:

I listen to a lot of UK radio on MyTuner. Radio is a 24/7/365 operation over there. They don't shut down on weekends or on holidays as they do here. 

That's not true.  Nearly every local BBC station signs off at night and simulcasts one of the national stations, usually BBC 5 Live.  LBC London, the AM all news station abandons the format on weekends and simulcasts their FM talk station.

April 15, 2022 11:31 am  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

cash wrote:

That's not true.  Nearly every local BBC station signs off at night and simulcasts one of the national stations, usually BBC 5 Live.  LBC London, the AM all news station abandons the format on weekends and simulcasts their FM talk station.

It's Good Friday and LBC are live. Anyone live on Toronto talk radio?