sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2022 7:13 am  #1

Talk Show Phone Calls: What Not To Do

A veteran analyst has his say about what talk show hosts do wrong when they go to the phones. I'm not sure if he's right or wrong, but I do hear a lot of what he says not to do on Toronto airwaves all the time. 

"Don’t wrap-up a call by saying “I have to let you go.” Same for “We need to move on” or “Thanks for calling.” Avoid showing the listener behind the curtain. There is no purpose to saying “I’m up against it …” What does that mean to a listener? Just move on. Don’t thank a listener for calling, either.

"Don’t sound rude with a “Get to the point” comment. Just move on to whatever is next. Turn down the caller or guests’ volume and move forward concluding the conversation as you want. The great thing about two-way-talk is that whoever controls the mic switch controls the conversation."

Phone Call Dos and Don’ts

April 11, 2022 1:34 pm  #2

Re: Talk Show Phone Calls: What Not To Do

RadioActive wrote:

Don’t thank a listener for calling, either. 

Obviously not written by a Canadian! (I don't see anything wrong with thanking the listener and not doing so just makes the host seem rude). 

April 11, 2022 1:48 pm  #3

Callers should also stop asking the host "how are you?" right when it's their turn. 

April 11, 2022 1:54 pm  #4

And then there's my least favourite: "As I told your screener..."