sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2022 1:23 am  #1

50 Years ago today

Today marks the 50th anniversary of what at the time was a somewhat controversial format change for CFTR.  A change that saw a shift from a MOR format to a Top 40 format.   

In 1971 I had started as an intern at CHFI/CFTR training as an operator for CHFI.  Typically, I would come in three nights a week on a voluntary basis to learn and gain experience working with Don Parrish voice tracks producing Candlelight and Wine, a dinnertime show that was meant to be a background of fine easy listening music.  

At the time the studios were located at 13 Adelaide St. E and occupied the second and third floors above retail shops on the street level.  One of those shops was the Town Coffee Shop, our local greasy spoon.  The main floor of the station consisted of the newsroom to the left at the top of the stairs.  Continuing down the hall, (which was a bit of a labyrinth) was the AM announce booth, the record Library, FM control, then an announce booth that was shared by both FM control and the FM production studio.  Last was AM control to the left of the entrance to the FM production studio which was at the end of the hall.  The second floor consisted of sales, traffic and programming offices and the AM production studio and Announce booth.  

Financially at that time CFTR was not doing well.  About 70% of the  commercials were contra, paying for vehicles, drapes and such.  I can still hear R.O. Horning Jr’s voice on the National Drapery spots.  Rumours had started that CFTR was going to go top40.  For us operators it was exciting news (all of us being rock and rollers) but for others, not so much.  Announcers like Earl Mann, John Woodbridge and R.O. Horning Jr. were in complete disagreement and all left a week or so later.  

I was eventually hired full time working overnights on CHFI operating the Classic Till Dawn show, voice tracked by Ronn Grimster.  Some months later an opening was created on the day shift which I moved into.  The drawback was that it was a split shift.  I would start at 5am operating  for Ken Kirkley until 9am then back in at 2pm until 6pm operating the afternoon drive show.  For me, a terrible shift as at the time I was living in North York and felt that it wasn’t worth driving back and forth during the five hours in between.  Most days I ended up hanging around the station during the downtime.  This provided an opportunity for me to get some time on the board in AM.  A couple times a week I would operate the last hour of the Bob McAdorey show, which ended at10am.  This allowed my friend Chris who was Bob’s operator, to pick carts (commercials) for the rest of the day.    

Sometime prior to March 14/72 (I don’t remember the exact date) George Johns was hired as Programme Director and Station Manager, along with Keith Elshaw, to be George’s assistant.  Keith was familiar to me from his days at CKFH.  With those hires the anticipated rumours were suddenly becoming reality.  American radio consultant Buzz Bennett was brought in to oversee the transition.     

One afternoon while working the afternoon drive show in FM control, I heard a commotion and the jangle of what sounded like spurs from the hallway behind me.  I turned around to see a man with dark shoulder length hair, in full denim wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots with spurs!  That person was Buzz Bennett.  He was being followed by our chief engineer Ron Turnpenny and his assistant Les Henwood.  Both of them were dead set against the format change and were treating Buzz as an intruder.  Ron was saying to Buzz that he wasn’t welcome and had to leave.  As they turned the corner outside my door, Ron managed to manoeuvre his way past Buzz to try and impede his progress saying, “you can’t come in here.”  When they got to the entrance of AM control, Ron stood there, arms outstretched with his hands on the doorframe.  Standing there face to face Ron said again, “you can’t come in here!”  Buzz responded by saying, “Ya see these spurs?”  “I haven’t used these spurs on a dude in a long time!”  I thought for a moment it would come to blows but Ron relented and let him by.   

On March 14th, I finished the morning part of my split shift and walked down the hall to AM control, to op the last hour of Bob’s show.  Just before ten o’clock I cued up what would be the last record of the MOR format.  During the playing of that record, Keith walked into the control room with two stacks of 45’s.  One stack was 30 of the current songs of the day, the other was a much larger stack of “oldies”.  Keith said to me, “I want you to play one current, one oldie, one current, one oldie, etc.”  He said not to deviate from that and warned about changing the order of the music.  

With the end of the newscast I started the first record, Isaac Hayes, Theme From Shaft.  Chris took over on the board and I walked into the studio to console R.O. Horning Jr. who was not happy at all about the format change.  While sitting beside him, I noticed a copy of a memo in the waste basket, that had been sent to all the jocks from George.  It was Bob’s copy.  Thinking it would make a nice memento, I picked it up and still have it to this day and which I share with all of you.  

Last edited by Citypulse News 15 (March 14, 2022 4:00 pm)

March 14, 2022 8:11 am  #2

Re: 50 Years ago today

Thanks 15! What a great story. 

It's particularly meaningful for me, since I was listening to CFTR the day before the official transition to Top 40, because I could hear it coming in the playlist. Word spread pretty fast and I remember it was the talk of our high school the next week - another rock station in town besides CHUM! It was a big deal. 

I envy TR being your first radio gig. I was in that building at 13 Adelaide St. E. just once. It's a story I've told before. The station had only been Top 40 for a few weeks or so, when they began promoing "C-F-T-R: Canada's First Tremendous Ripoff." (I wonder how long it took them to come up with something that matched the call letters.)

It was their very first contest. I was home sick from school the day it started and I just happened to be sitting by the phone in the hall. At around 3 o'clock, the announcer (not sure who) came on and said "I'll take the first caller who will win a trip to Pompano Beach, Florida!" I guess there still weren't a lot of listeners because I got through and I won, the only major prize I've ever garnered in my life. I was the very first ever winner during the station's Top 40 days and I still remember it. (It was an unusual contest because for the very first time in Toronto radio, you didn't have to answer a question or say a phrase. You got in as the right caller and you won. Simple as that.)

I went down to the station to pick up the prize, and asked for a tour. That's when they took me into that control room you mentioned, where Keith Elshaw (as Steve Young) was on the air. He was listening on cue to a new song, trying to get the posts in the intro. The song had just been added to the playlist and had never been on the air before. The tune turned out to be a huge hit - "Black & White" by Three Dog Night. 

One last thing. You say R.O. Horning Jr. hated the format change but I remember him being on air for a bit after the seismic music shift, and I thought he was a fantastic rock jock - upbeat, great at hitting intros and posts and very funny. (I remember him introing a record with "CFT-R.O." a riff on his name.

I also recall the great Earl Mann with "The Mann and The Music." I'm sorry to hear neither of them liked what they were doing - they were great at it!

I worked with John Woodbridge at CKEY and he was definitely not like the dull MOR music the station played in those days. A very witty and funny guy, who liked to smoke pot in the days long before you could safely do that. His nickname, for some reason, was "Doozer" or something similar. 

Anyway, thanks for those memories. I really enjoyed them, especially that memo!

March 14, 2022 8:42 am  #3

Thanks for this. The dates when CHUM and CKFH went top 40 are burned into my brain. I knew CFTR flipped springish 1972 because I was in grade 13 when it happened. And RA, I too ripped them off in their early top 40 days. No trip to Florida, just a t-shirt which was mailed to me. The 680 flip to top 40 would be the death knell for CKFH. They could barely compete with CHUM. They tried damn hard, though. Fighting two top 40's would have been impossible.

March 14, 2022 8:49 am  #4

Here's what the CFTR logo/slogan was just before the Top 40 change. If it sounds familiar, it's because...well you'll see.

It turns out there were rumours about TR's format change long before it actually happened. This is from June 1971.

March 14, 2022 9:09 am  #5

It was obvious by 1973 that the change to playing the huge hits was a huge hit.

Two years later, the station was making bigger gains. From 1974, including a quote from then P.D. Mike Marshall:

March 14, 2022 9:30 am  #6

I suspect that the June 1971 call letter change was step one. Rogers management probably began their research into the feasibility of taking on top 40 giant CHUM. They probably didn't know or cared about CKFH.

March 14, 2022 11:52 am  #7

That memo though... says a lot about Rogers.  If Johns worked for me and sent out a bossy, bitchy, condescending memo like that, he would be fired on the spot.  Must be a Conservative...

March 14, 2022 2:36 pm  #8

It is interesting to look at the quarter hour numbers from the summer of 1973.  CFRB with an average 128,000 listeners is amazing.  CHUM with 64,200 listeners average quarter hour and CKEY with 39,400.    Last summer CBC Radio 1 had 32,400 listeners during the average minute, Q107 had 21,200, CHFI with 20,700 and BOOM at 20,600.  I know these numbers are not directly comparable but it does indicate the difference between then and now.  It's easy to see why CFRB was always sold out for commercial time. 
And beautiful music CHFI in 1973 was only slightly behind where the station was last summer.  FI clocked in with 19,200 listeners average quarter hour in '73. 

March 14, 2022 3:56 pm  #9

Forward Power wrote:

That memo though... says a lot about Rogers.  If Johns worked for me and sent out a bossy, bitchy, condescending memo like that, he would be fired on the spot.  Must be a Conservative...

I agree it's rather harshly worded however, it was different time then.  CFTR was not doing well financially and there was a lot pressure on Keith Dancy who was hired to trim the fat and turn the fortunes of the station around.  Also George and Keith Elshaw I'm sure were under a lot of pressure to make this gamble work.  They were not well received by the majority of the staff who were resistant to change.  A lot of the staff wanted them to fail.  
CFTR had declared war on CHUM and for me this memo was like a Drill Sargent laying out the battle plan, firmly addressing his troops.

Last edited by Citypulse News 15 (March 14, 2022 4:41 pm)

March 14, 2022 4:37 pm  #10

Came across this odd little article from Sept. 1973. Given that memo laying down the law about what to play, there's no way this actually happened - it was certainly a publicity stunt.

March 14, 2022 6:37 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks 15! What a great story. 

It's particularly meaningful for me, since I was listening to CFTR the day before the official transition to Top 40, because I could hear it coming in the playlist. Word spread pretty fast and I remember it was the talk of our high school the next week - another rock station in town besides CHUM! It was a big deal. 

I envy TR being your first radio gig. I was in that building at 13 Adelaide St. E. just once. It's a story I've told before. The station had only been Top 40 for a few weeks or so, when they began promoing "C-F-T-R: Canada's First Tremendous Ripoff." (I wonder how long it took them to come up with something that matched the call letters.)

It was their very first contest. I was home sick from school the day it started and I just happened to be sitting by the phone in the hall. At around 3 o'clock, the announcer (not sure who) came on and said "I'll take the first caller who will win a trip to Pompano Beach, Florida!" I guess there still weren't a lot of listeners because I got through and I won, the only major prize I've ever garnered in my life. I was the very first ever winner during the station's Top 40 days and I still remember it. (It was an unusual contest because for the very first time in Toronto radio, you didn't have to answer a question or say a phrase. You got in as the right caller and you won. Simple as that.)

I went down to the station to pick up the prize, and asked for a tour. That's when they took me into that control room you mentioned, where Keith Elshaw (as Steve Young) was on the air. He was listening on cue to a new song, trying to get the posts in the intro. The song had just been added to the playlist and had never been on the air before. The tune turned out to be a huge hit - "Black & White" by Three Dog Night. 

One last thing. You say R.O. Horning Jr. hated the format change but I remember him being on air for a bit after the seismic music shift, and I thought he was a fantastic rock jock - upbeat, great at hitting intros and posts and very funny. (I remember him introing a record with "CFT-R.O." a riff on his name.

I also recall the great Earl Mann with "The Mann and The Music." I'm sorry to hear neither of them liked what they were doing - they were great at it!

I worked with John Woodbridge at CKEY and he was definitely not like the dull MOR music the station played in those days. A very witty and funny guy, who liked to smoke pot in the days long before you could safely do that. His nickname, for some reason, was "Doozer" or something similar. 

Anyway, thanks for those memories. I really enjoyed them, especially that memo!

Funny you mention R.O. running the call letters in to his name.  He would say "CFTRO Horning Jr."  It drove George nuts and it became a source of friction between the two.  He was a fantastic Rock Jock, but it wasn't his favourite music.  The same with Earl.  Earl would bring in music from his personal collection to play on his show.
They were all consummate professionals and went along with it for a short time.  In the end I believe R.O. Earl and John considered themselves communicators and just saying the four elements that George wanted became very unfulfilling.

March 14, 2022 7:01 pm  #12

When CFTR moved their studios from 13 Adelaide St. E to the eleventh floor of 25 Adelaide St. E. the windows of both AM control as well as the announce booth looked north onto Adelaide St.  There had been no windows in the old studios.  At the time the North West corner of Adelaide and Victoria Streets was occupied by a parking lot.  There was a billboard on the wall of the building North of the lot.  Management decided that they didn't want CHUM or any other competitor possibly advertising there.  They felt it would be demoralizing to look out the window and see the call letters of the enemy so they negotiated an open ended contract for exclusive rights.  This is a photo of the first billboard.  It was up for a week before someone noticed the mistake.  

March 15, 2022 11:17 am  #13

It would be interesting to hear airchecks of those early days. The earliest I have of CFTR in the rock format is June 1973.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 15, 2022 1:25 pm  #14

It took me a second to spot the error, as well. But "Forward" should have an "r" in it! As in CFT"R."

March 15, 2022 4:06 pm  #15

Dale Patterson wrote:

It would be interesting to hear airchecks of those early days. The earliest I have of CFTR in the rock format is June 1973.

I'll see what I can come up with Dale.

March 15, 2022 4:06 pm  #16

geo wrote:

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

It was up for a week before someone noticed the mistake 

Ending a sentence with a proposition?

LOL