sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2022 5:46 pm  #1

The Man Behind Koss Headphones Is Gone At 91

Not sure how many will be able to see the article below because it's from the New York Times, which is often behind a paywall, but the inventor of Koss headphones - a frequent presence in radio studios for decades - passed away in late December. John C. Koss was 91 and I certainly owned a number of his company's cans. 

"Koss headphones became standard equipment for music listeners, disc jockeys and recording artists...For many years they were virtually all Mr. Koss’s company made, until an unsuccessful expansion into other audio products in the 1980s nearly put it out of business.

"Mr. Koss and his friend Martin Lange Jr., an engineer, developed a portable stereo phonograph in 1958 that they called a “private listening station.” It had a turntable, speakers and a privacy switch that let users plug headphones into a jack. But most of the headphones available, such as those used by telephone operators, shortwave radio users and pilots, were incompatible and were not stereophonic.

"So they rigged up cardboard cups that contained three-inch speakers and chamois pads from a flight helmet, and they attached them to a headband made of a bent clothes hanger covered with a rubber shower hose.  

“And, oh man, whew, it was just bouncing in my ears,” Mr. Koss said in an undated video interview on the Koss Corporation’s website. “It was a great sound. Now the whole thing was there. Anybody that listened to it, it was like the first time you drove in a car or the first time you did anything.”

John C. Koss, Stereo Headphone Innovator, Is Dead at 91

February 3, 2022 12:31 pm  #2

Re: The Man Behind Koss Headphones Is Gone At 91

RIP however the products were garbage.   

February 3, 2022 12:39 pm  #3

Had a pair of KOSS K/6A headphones that I bought in '77 or '78...  loved them...

February 3, 2022 12:58 pm  #4

Personally. I liked Senheiser, the yellow foam 414 model.