sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2022 10:37 am  #1

Live Programming Returns To 1010 For One Day This Weekend

Forget all the rerolls. For one day of the weekend, there will be live non-shill-like programming on CFRB and the rest of the Bell Media Network. The company that decimated 1010 (bye bye Ryan Doyle, Jamil Jivani, Barb DiGiulio, Jon Pole, original weekend programming, almost 95% of the newsroom etc.) is actually going to have a real, live talk show host in for several hours beginning at noon on Saturday. 

Bill Carroll will be hosting a show, centered around the truckers' protest on Parliament Hill, just in case it goes south as some fear it will. 

Not entirely sure what 640's plans are, although Roy Green will be on the Corus network beginning at 2 PM.

I suppose Bell did not have much choice in making the move, because putting on paid programming if the nation's capital exploded into chaos would leave them with egg on their face. (Although they'd probably try to sell those eggs in a paid time commercial special later in the day...)

January 28, 2022 12:46 pm  #2

Re: Live Programming Returns To 1010 For One Day This Weekend

That's fine and good on 1010, but for the events tomorrow most people will want to see the demonstration and not just hear someone explaining what is going on.  CTV, CP24 and CBC news channels will be there live.  Nobody talks about the radio coverage on Jan. 6th.   

January 28, 2022 2:21 pm  #3

Frankly, this convoy is getting far more attention than it deserves. According to Kingston Police, the convoy consists of 17 full tractor trailers, 104 truck cabs with no trailers, 424 cars and 6 RVs :

How much media coverage would your average demonstration of 600 or so people in Toronto get? Not very much. 

Last edited by Hansa (January 28, 2022 2:23 pm)

January 28, 2022 2:54 pm  #4

Just the fact they're actually bringing in a crew to cover it seems worthwhile mentioning. Considering all the cutbacks at Bell and how penurious they've become, it's almost surprising. But imagine the reaction if it spirals out of control and they're airing a real estate show or the Jann Arden podcast. They really don't have a lot of choice. 

January 28, 2022 3:01 pm  #5

I agree Hansa this is getting more coverage than it deserves.  However the COVID news coverage in Canada is also way over the top.  Two years later it is still the lead story most nights with often nothing new to report. I find the Canadian national news media has been overly critical of the government (national and provincial) and focusing too much on conflict like we are seeing right now.  Again look at the numbers, Canada is doing and has been doing very well as compared to most other developed countries, with the exception of Australia, NZ, Japan and South Korea.   

Having said that, and to contradict myself, if the news media gave this little or no coverage, it plays right into the hands of the fringe that are always trying to find cover up's, fake news, anything to deflect to the other side. I think this group and all of the other more extreme elements within will burn themselves out fairly soon, maybe even after this weekend. 

Do disagree on one thing however, I have seen demonstrations in downtown Toronto with far fewer than 600 people get an over abundance of news coverage for days.    

January 28, 2022 7:24 pm  #6

January 28, 2022 7:27 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/TheUselessCoin/status/1487051323904303104?t=hRAaYZjZFqzGZcV1GzXvjQ&s=19

don't think I've read a better comment, sad but true?

Ouch.

This fall on Global -- "Insurrection: Canada" 

January 28, 2022 7:39 pm  #8

Hansa wrote:

Frankly, this convoy is getting far more attention than it deserves.  

Agreed. The amount of coverage is very suspect.

January 28, 2022 7:49 pm  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Agreed. The amount of coverage is very suspect 

Evidence is mounting that the event will be hijacked by proud boys & proud gals and could become Canada's Jan. 6th (on Jan. 29th)

January 28, 2022 9:22 pm  #10

geo wrote:

Evidence is mounting that the event will be hijacked by proud boys & proud gals and could become Canada's Jan. 6th (on Jan. 29th)

It sure as shit will be, now that every basement hothead has been saturated by the coverage.

January 29, 2022 11:45 am  #11

In another type of Covid pretest the Canuck crusade ( or should that be EX CC}  of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell have pulled their music from Spotify over covid misinformation spread on the platform by the likes of Joe Rogan.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 29, 2022 12:28 pm  #12

geo wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Where did you see this "evidence" Geo?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 29, 2022 1:07 pm  #13

Dale Patterson wrote:

Should have read "media reports" (not "evidence").    Numerous references on CBC Newsworld to "SECURITY CONCERNS".   

Thank you for catching that, Mr. Patterson

This is geo, reminding TV viewers to wear your MAKE ARNPRIOR GREAT AGAIN baseball cap to the protest

Last edited by geo (January 29, 2022 1:18 pm)

January 29, 2022 1:15 pm  #14

WELL it reads "BEST OF JOHN MOORE" on the web page so I have better things to do with my time. BYE. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 29, 2022 1:24 pm  #15

geo wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Hansa wrote:

I'm sure there are people there who would like that but a) there aren't enough b) parliament isn't in session this weekend so there's nothing to disrupt c) the whole area is walled off due to renos. I doubt these guys even know where the temporary House of Commons chamber actually is.

They talked about going to 24 Sussex, apparently not realising that the building is shuttered and Trudeau has actuallly never lived there (as an adult) or even stepped foot in the buildong during his time as PM

Last edited by Hansa (January 29, 2022 1:27 pm)

January 29, 2022 3:29 pm  #16

geo wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Should have read "media reports" (not "evidence").    Numerous references on CBC Newsworld to "SECURITY CONCERNS".   

Thank you for catching that, Mr. Patterson

This is geo, reminding TV viewers to wear your MAKE ARNPRIOR GREAT AGAIN baseball cap to the protest

Can't find anything that specifically says the "=12pxproud boys & proud gals" might get involved. Can you provide a link?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 31, 2022 7:19 pm  #17

Strangely, coverage of this event seems to have dropped off. So many unanswered questions...