sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2022 9:19 pm  #31

Re: Jay Michaels leaving Newstalk 1010

Re Recently played...some of those great non-hit classics mixed with great new local artists like Damned Truth. Don't see this mix on any other Rock station in North America!!!!

January 30, 2022 9:29 pm  #32

RadioActive wrote:

Here's a list of "recently played" on CHOM-FM. See how this matches up with what's been said in this thread. 

Recently played

I looked at the link a few minutes ago and I don't ever remember hearing Cherry Bomb by the Runaways on any station in Toronto not even CFNY ( maybe they played it but I don't remember). Perhaps KROQ in LA was an exception around 1976/77. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 31, 2022 2:16 pm  #33

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Getting back to CHOM and Montreal radio in general I am still not convinced that the hit/non hit is that much of a detriment, if any.  If it were gone tomorrow, naturally most of the stations like Virgin would opt mostly for all hits.  And the french stations would want the same with a lot less francophone music.  CHOM I believe would always play some album cuts or non hits. That's one of the reasons why they have remained popular in a very competitive radio town.  

No, CHOM would absolutely drop the non-hits and album cuts. There's a reason they're more concentrated in lower listening hours.

The Anglo market in Montreal is not competitive in the least. There are only 3 local English FM music stations. There's a healthy back-and-forth between The Beat and Virgin, but that's it.

And the Martz argument is frankly absurd, saying they "only" lasted 18 years. They were never designed to do anything but siphon off a fraction of listening and revenue in the market. They didn't fail, the owner took his EMF money the same as many other smaller American operators. He ran a very successful operation.

Never said they "only" lasted 18 years.  WYUL had 18 years and it's impact and success during this time is questionable.  They had many advantages over The Beat and Virgin and billed themselves as Montreal's Hit Music Station. I would have thought they would have done better since they only played the hits and no cancon regs, and were even able to cater more to the huge francophone audience.. The Beat and Virgin were supposedly hamstrung with cancon and the hit/non hit regs .So why didn't WYUL  have more impact playing all this great hit music for the deprived listeners across the border?   If the Anglo FM market in Montreal is so uncompetitive as you say, then even more so. 

My take is the opposite. Montreal radio is very competitive.  I don't put the english and french stations in separate  silos since they compete with each other.  CHOM, The Beat and Virgin all have mostly francophone listeners and in the case of Virgin daily listenership is 107,000 English and 276,000 francophone. Anglos listening to french radio is not as dramatic largely because the potential english population of 850,000 is smaller than the 3 million francophones  in the market. 

January 31, 2022 2:24 pm  #34

Just to return to the original topic of this thread for a second, I find it interesting that CFRB is still running Jay Michaels' spots touting a local real estate agent. You might think if the guy left the station for another city, one of the first things they'd do is change the spokesperson.

Then again, he hasn't been gone long and they're still shilling for Frank Leo with Bill Carroll, long absent from Toronto airwaves for the most part. 

I wonder how long they'll let this continue now that he's no longer on the air there and someone will inevitably and permanently take his place. 

February 4, 2022 2:03 pm  #35

Something new is coming on February 28! CHOM 97 7 welcomes Jay Michaels, Sharon Hyland and Chantal Desjardins to Mornings Rock.

February 4, 2022 2:13 pm  #36

February 4, 2022 2:16 pm  #37

From their website, the audio of the official welcome, in which Jay admits that CJAD has better ratings than CFRB and that "we looked up to them in Toronto." 

CHOM FM Welcomes Morning Rock With Jay, Sharon & Chantal

February 6, 2022 1:31 pm  #38

The new week of 1010's schedule shows David Cooper hosting the Late Showgram, and Jim Richards hosting The Rush.

February 6, 2022 2:03 pm  #39

Hm, bit ironic that Richards has now lost the "showgram" shtick he's used for years.

February 6, 2022 2:12 pm  #40

Hansa wrote:

Hm, bit ironic that Richards has now lost the "showgram" shtick he's used for years.

Interestingly enough, they seemed to have - in part - kept that moniker but attached to the host only? "The Rush" is shown as "Hosted by: Jim Richards Showgram" (see graphic below). But they are also continuing to use the "Showgram" branding for the overnight show.

I understand it's an "evolving"/in-flux situation so perhaps they'll sort that out and Richards will get that name exclusively in the afternoon and "The Rush" will be retired, but I guess it's too early to know.

February 6, 2022 2:19 pm  #41

I had David Cooper on Toronto Mike'd the other day and peppered him with these sorts of questions. https://www.torontomike.com/2022/01/david-cooper-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-991/

February 6, 2022 4:01 pm  #42

AspectRatio wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Interestingly enough, they seemed to have - in part - kept that moniker but attached to the host only? "The Rush" is shown as "Hosted by: Jim Richards Showgram" (see graphic below). But they are also continuing to use the "Showgram" branding for the overnight show.

I understand it's an "evolving"/in-flux situation so perhaps they'll sort that out and Richards will get that name exclusively in the afternoon and "The Rush" will be retired, but I guess it's too early to know.

Maybe they can just rebrand the entire station "the Showgram". It's certainly not "News Talk" any more. 

February 6, 2022 5:04 pm  #43

I'm sure that including showgram in his named was overlooked. The description for David Cooper's show still says it's hosted by Jim Richards.

February 6, 2022 7:12 pm  #44

Will Jay Michaels be broadcasting from Toronto or will he be moving to Montreal?

February 6, 2022 9:07 pm  #45

He said on NT1010 Friday that he's already moved to Montreal and will be working from there. And it was apparently quite a sudden shift. He mentioned on air that he still hadn't told his mother that he relocated!

February 7, 2022 3:36 pm  #46

RadioActive wrote:

He said on NT1010 Friday that he's already moved to Montreal and will be working from there. And it was apparently quite a sudden shift. He mentioned on air that he still hadn't told his mother that he relocated!

This is pretty funny.  Jay was mentioning while still on 1010 that he hated his Leslieville (?) house.  Too noisy, too much traffic, located near industrial area.  He hated waking up in the morning in that house.  Probably couldn't get out fast enough.

February 9, 2024 5:53 pm  #47

RadioActive wrote:

Just to return to the original topic of this thread for a second, I find it interesting that CFRB is still running Jay Michaels' spots touting a local real estate agent. You might think if the guy left the station for another city, one of the first things they'd do is change the spokesperson.

Then again, he hasn't been gone long and they're still shilling for Frank Leo with Bill Carroll, long absent from Toronto airwaves for the most part. 

I wonder how long they'll let this continue now that he's no longer on the air there and someone will inevitably and permanently take his place. 

I first posted the above message back in January 2022. I can't quite believe it, but I just heard another Jay Michaels spot for the same real estate agent on Friday. He hasn't been on the station in over two years, has done nothing else for them as far as I can tell but is still being used as a spokesman? I wonder how many listeners are saying, "Jay who?"

True, I frequently hear Bill Carroll for the same sponsor, but at least they replay his show overnight, so he still has a "presence" there, regardless of how tenuous the connection may be. But Michaels has been off the air in Toronto for way too long that he should identify himself as he does spots and expect people to remember who he was. 

What's next? Ryan Doyle for Lino Arci?

February 10, 2024 6:02 pm  #48

Why do you revive old posts to make a somewhat unrelated point two years later but make completely new posts for each holiday re-roll and anchor read weather rant? 
It's confusing to see a completely outdated headline at the top of the message board.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 10, 2024 6:19 pm)

February 10, 2024 6:22 pm  #49

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Why do you revive ancient posts do make a somewhat unrelated point two years later?  Oddly, you make completely new posts each time you want to repeat your holiday re-roll and anchor read weather rants.  

I believe each of us are (within limits) able to create new threads and/or revive old ones, as we see fit.

Surely our Moderator is afforded similar privileges, no?

February 10, 2024 6:53 pm  #50

Dial Twister wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Why do you revive ancient posts do make a somewhat unrelated point two years later?  Oddly, you make completely new posts each time you want to repeat your holiday re-roll and anchor read weather rants.  

I believe each of us are (within limits) able to create new threads and/or revive old ones, as we see fit.

Surely our Moderator is afforded similar privileges, no?

I didn't say he couldn't, I asked why he does sometimes and other times not? 

As of today is Jay Michaels leaving Newstalk 1010?  No.  It looks like boardhost is having a technical problem.
I would like to see "You all know I don't like to get political" as one thread I could always avoid, and "An anchor read the weather again" and " I don't know why talk show hosts are allowed to see their families on Christmas instead of entertaining me" as two more that I could avoid.  Instead those topics get new threads each time while topics that ARE actually new and not identical rehashings, get lumped into something unrelated from two years ago. 

On the Radiowest board the topic discussing CKNW called "What is it going to take" has had its own thread for years.  If I want to avoid it, it's easily done.  Perfect.  On this board, a brand new question about Bill Carroll and Jay Michaels reading commercials is now under "Jay Michaels leaving Newstalk 1010."  How does that make sense?  It's the exact opposite of what the "New Topic" button on a message board is designed for and I'm asking why. 

He CAN do whatever he likes, but why IS he?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 10, 2024 7:01 pm)