sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2022 2:36 pm  #1

Jay Michaels taking a passive-aggressive approach

I was listening to Jay and Jim last week and I noticed that when Jay is telling radio stories from his past he has been freely dropping Ryan's name as well as Billie's during his MadDog days.  Rather than tell a funny or moving story with the other person's name redacted, he has been naming names.  I have to say, I respect him for doing this.

January 25, 2022 2:42 pm  #2

Re: Jay Michaels taking a passive-aggressive approach

That's very interesting to hear. There's an old radio rule about off the air and out of mind, His bringing up these names can't be something management is happy about, as the furor over Doyle's never-explained disappearance is just starting to die down. 

I wonder if there's a chance Michaels' voice will vanish from the airwaves for bringing up the not-so-dearly departed? But good for him for not pretending his former co-host never existed. 

January 25, 2022 3:11 pm  #3

Jay just mentioned when he and Ryan were on air talking about two years ago today when the pandemic hit.  And he spoke Ryan's name.  They played a clip from Jim's show.  They are playing a clip from Jay and Sylvia who was filling in for Ryan.  Jim referred to Ryan as Jay's "co-host at the time" who had to stay at home with his wife.  They are dancing very carefully.

January 25, 2022 7:29 pm  #4

Hopefully Jay gets relaxed enough to share the story of what happened to Ryan.   Perhaps it's a real doosie?

January 25, 2022 11:37 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

Michaels and Richards are a mismatch. It's lousy.  It won't last.

It's pretty bad. I'll listen to much on 1010 and give new hosts or combinations a fair chance, and like these hosts just fine individually (or paired with others), but Richards' laid-back "mellow" slacker and observational vibe paired up with Michaels' more upbeat, perky and earnest vibe is a total oil & water mix that does neither of them favors and is often painful to listen to. Hope they figure out something for that "afternoon drive" slot.

January 27, 2022 11:06 pm  #6

Charlie wrote:

Michaels and Richards are a mismatch. It's lousy.  It won't last.

it seems you were right. 

January 28, 2022 7:51 am  #7

Personally, I don't get how anyone can listen to Richards; his rambling/moaning style really grates with me.

I see "old man baying at the sky" Mark Towhey now in doing evenings .. not sure if this is permanent or temp. 

How can CFRB have the absolute best host [John Moore] and then have such a train wreck in other timeslots?

Last edited by g121 (January 28, 2022 7:52 am)

January 28, 2022 12:28 pm  #8

Entirely too much time spent on this site about 1010 and 640. The owners are a lot like the audience...they don't care. Folks getting their bums in knots over Jay Michaels naming Ryan Doyle and Billie are referencing a very different point in time. Nobody cares.

January 28, 2022 12:54 pm  #9

Rune wrote:

...Folks getting their bums in knots over Jay Michaels naming Ryan Doyle and Billie are referencing a very different point in time. Nobody cares.

I have to agree with this. Getting into such minutiae reminds me of Kremlinology.

January 28, 2022 2:16 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Rune wrote:

...Folks getting their bums in knots over Jay Michaels naming Ryan Doyle and Billie are referencing a very different point in time. Nobody cares.

I have to agree with this. Getting into such minutiae reminds me of Kremlinology.

or Kermitology 🐸

January 28, 2022 2:52 pm  #11

Rune wrote:

Entirely too much time spent on this site about 1010 and 640. The owners are a lot like the audience...they don't care. Folks getting their bums in knots over Jay Michaels naming Ryan Doyle and Billie are referencing a very different point in time. Nobody cares.

I don't completely disagree. But talk is the main format I listen to. Music on the radio doesn't do much for me anymore. So I wind up commenting on those stations because that's primarily what I hear. 

I would welcome anyone who listens to CHFI, CHUM-FM or any of the others to post comments/news on what's going on at those outlets. But of course, because they tend to be fairly consistent with set formats (and playlists and on-air staff), they don't make much news. The talkers seem to not only report news but often make it, which is one reason they show up here far beyond the number of times they should.

Please feel free to let us know what you like/hate/disagree with about the station you listen to most often. I, for one, would love to read those posts.  

January 28, 2022 3:32 pm  #12

I do listen to the news talk stations.  You become familiar listening to them for so long and when you hear that they are leaving (or being dismissed ) I, for one, am interested as to where they have gone.

January 28, 2022 5:31 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Rune wrote:

I don't completely disagree. But talk is the main format I listen to. Music on the radio doesn't do much for me anymore. So I wind up commenting on those stations because that's primarily what I hear. 

I would welcome anyone who listens to CHFI, CHUM-FM or any of the others to post comments/news on what's going on at those outlets. But of course, because they tend to be fairly consistent with set formats (and playlists and on-air staff), they don't make much news. The talkers seem to not only report news but often make it, which is one reason they show up here far beyond the number of times they should.

Please feel free to let us know what you like/hate/disagree with about the station you listen to most often. I, for one, would love to read those posts.  

RA: When music did do something for you, what did you listen to?

January 28, 2022 5:41 pm  #14

It was a long time ago. I was mainly into CHUM, CKFH and CFTR during the music days. But I also liked WYSL-FM, WGR, WGRQ-FM, and even CHAM (when it was at 1280 and still playing Top 40) in Hamilton. I was also a huge fan of both WGAR Cleveland and WNBC New York after dark.

I sort of lost interest in the early 80s, mainly because I was working 12 hour+ days in TV news and didn't really have time to listen to the radio. 

I got into talk mainly because a) the type of tunes being played didn't really appeal to me, b) I needed a human voice to keep me awake after working all those hours and c) as personality radio took a backseat to the "more music, less interruptions" formats everyone was adopting, the only ones who could show their talents on air were the talk hosts. So I gravitated to them. 

January 28, 2022 6:10 pm  #15

I still like to listen to music but am not impressed with the cookie cutter formats that dominate almost every North American market. Most of the time, I listen online to either "A" WERW [Rewind 94.3] a 49 watt no commercial station in Munroe, Mi. Their signal doesn't even reach Toledo which is 25 miles away. Playlist covers mid 60's to mid 90's. or "B" KOZT The Coast in Ft. Bragg, Ca. Playlist is wide and deep similar to a late 60's progressive rock format. It is this station where I learned about groups like Joy of Cooking, the Subdudes, the Ridles and the Teduski Truck Band.