sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2016 8:24 pm  #1

If you can do this with shoes, you can make more money with radio

Steve Madden built a $1.5 billion business with just $1,100.  "I'd be selling the shoes and seeing the voids," Madden said. "It's a business of voids still today. If everybody's making one thing, you can make one thing over here and be the only guy, which is great fun."  

​What's the one big, unique and compelling void that radio can fill, that our competition doesn't?  Delivering our advertisers what they want - a documented result in the millions of dollars - any market, any time.  It's so straight forward, it's been done thousands upon thousands of times in radio, but I do not know of one other radio station or newspaper or television station in this country - or anywhere - that's doing it.  

You can apply the same principle with your stations - rather than sticking with the status quo or trying to do what every one of his competitors were doing - setting aside his dealings with Jordan Belfort - here's how Steve made his money by taking action on the voids in the shoe industry.

Last edited by Andy McNabb (April 27, 2016 8:27 pm)

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

April 26, 2016 10:32 pm  #2

Re: If you can do this with shoes, you can make more money with radio

Yup.  That's how it's done.  Get outside...go to where the audience goes...and don't say anything.  Just listen.  What they want and what they're getting are two HUGELY different things.  The grand canyon/gorge between what flies through the air to radio receivers and what the person with their finger on the button which switches the unit from radio to an alternate music delivery source is oh-so deep and wide.

Traditional research methods are smoke and mirror lies and put-ons.  But someone's making money doing it.  Are you"

How's YOUR shoe store doing?

April 27, 2016 8:17 am  #3

Well put.  In terms of documenting local advertisers' results in the millions, yes I do.  'Happy to pay it forward and share a couple of ways as to how it's done - they can click on my name in the left column and message me.  As I'm often in meetings and trying to keep up with our tiny family of 6, allow a day or so for a reply.

Last edited by Andy McNabb (April 27, 2016 12:42 pm)

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

April 27, 2016 8:43 am  #4

Hi Andy.  "You" and "Your shoe store" were aimed at the collective.  I'd HAVE to imagine that your take is working.  Most folks like a breath of FRESH air.  More power to ya.