sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2021 9:44 am  #1

The Future Of AM: Editorial Suggests It May Not Have One, Even With HD

A publication called "Radio & Television Business Report" has an editorial suggesting that failure to adopt Digital Audio Broadcasting (a failed experiment when CHUM, among others, attempted it a few decades ago) has essentially doomed stations on the AM dial. It posits the idea that outlets on that band are increasingly being forced to acquire FM repeaters just to stay afloat - even some 50,000 watt blowtorches. 

And it suggests while many will survive over the next decade, the future of AM after that gets increasingly murky. A bit of a technical read, but as a fan of the band, I hope they're wrong. Although I fear they may not be. 

"It could be a decade, or a quarter-century, but AM will be as relevant as Shortwave by the time the Miami Dolphins win their next Super Bowl.

"Yes, AM radio is challenged. But, in markets large and small, it still matters — today and tomorrow. The disappearance of a handful of stations this week should not be cause for alarm. But, it is a sign that by the end of this decade, AM radio will look and sound very different. By 2030, the smart operators will have taken their strong AM brands and shifted them to FM."

If true, this is bad news for Toronto, where's there's simply no place left on the FM band to accommodate any more signals, especially AM repeaters. Whether Canada will face the same apparent fate as its American counterparts remains to seen - and heard.

Is AM Radio Future-Proof? Saying No To DAB Impacts the Answer

December 31, 2021 1:17 pm  #2

Re: The Future Of AM: Editorial Suggests It May Not Have One, Even With HD

I'm going to be optimistic. There are millions of medium wave (AM) radios out there. Even through some folks are unable to operate this complicated device that consists of two controls; a tuning and volume knob. I believe AM will continue for decades to come. A couple of reasons. 1) I could be wrong about this but the RF spectrum is not too useful for much else. 2) The signal goes further per watt and propagates well at night which is an advantage in some cases. 3) Modern AM transmitting facilities have about a 50 year (or longer) life span. 4) Good content is good content, folks will listen to AM is the content is compelling enough.

What will probably happen is a significant number of stations will go silent as their aging transmitter facilities reach the end of their life. This will reduce some of the congestion on the band. Stations with desirable programming that make money will prevail.

December 31, 2021 2:21 pm  #3

Young people today barely know the AM band exists. Who's going to be listening 20-30-40 years down the road when all of us old fogies are gone?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 31, 2021 4:41 pm  #4

An interesting suggestion, but where would they put it? There's no room for anything on the FM dial for a new station, unless they chose to alter an existing station, like CKIS-FM. I think AM740 and CKDO took the last available repeater frequencies here. Can't fathom where any newcomers would go.

December 31, 2021 5:47 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

An interesting suggestion, but where would they put it? There's no room for anything on the FM dial for a new station, unless they chose to alter an existing station, like CKIS-FM. I think AM740 and CKDO took the last available repeater frequencies here. Can't fathom where any newcomers would go.

To add another complexity: the CRTC considers CFZM-FM to be a full station as it relates to the commission's common ownership policy. Therefore CBC, Rogers, Bell, and Corus would not be allowed to add repeaters in Toronto (even if only 100 watts). If I recall correctly, even the CRTC Chair disagreed with the rest of the commission and published a dissent of sorts, but it didn't undue the damage. I think that was one of the nails in the coffin for AM in this city. Don't forget that our streetcar lines make AM unlistenable in much of the city.

I think repeaters are the only practical way to put off the inevitable death of AM. Bell or CHIN could use 101.3, Rogers could use 97.5, Corus could use 107.5, etc. Not saying that wouldn't be without its technical challenges (especially the CN tower stations) but it's worth looking into and getting engineers involved. Way more people would listen on an FM repeater than an HD subchannel on a different station. 

December 31, 2021 8:01 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

This will be taken care of by the inevitable loosening of ownership limits. Think CityNews 96.3.

December 31, 2021 8:06 pm  #7

darcyh wrote:

I'm going to be optimistic. There are millions of medium wave (AM) radios out there. Even through some folks are unable to operate this complicated device that consists of two controls; a tuning and volume knob. I believe AM will continue for decades to come. A couple of reasons. 1) I could be wrong about this but the RF spectrum is not too useful for much else. 2) The signal goes further per watt and propagates well at night which is an advantage in some cases. 3) Modern AM transmitting facilities have about a 50 year (or longer) life span. 4) Good content is good content, folks will listen to AM is the content is compelling enough.

There's barely enough audience now to keep more than a handful of them in the black. Los Angeles in down to just one significant AM (KFI) after the recent switch of KNX to FM.

I house-hunted significantly last year; the only homes that had anything capable of receiving AM also had not updated their decor in 40 years.

There is but one AM-only station in any of the communities along the 401 if you drive from Toronto to Montreal.

Never mind the future; it's done now.

December 31, 2021 8:57 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Digital FM. Rogers and Bell already have their AM stations on FM digital repeaters. I expect when Corus adds digital FM to CFNY and/or Q-107 they'll also put in an FM digital repeater for GNR. The smaller AMs are out of luck though. 740 has both an analog and a digital FM repeater, and CHIN-AM has a digital FM repeater too. A lot of cars and home stereo's don't have AM bands. I wouldn't be surprised if AM goes the way of shortwave in a few years - and if part of the band at least gets turned over to cell phone or some other use (if that's technically feasible). 

December 31, 2021 9:03 pm  #9

Hansa wrote:

I expect when Corus adds digital FM to CFNY and/or Q-107 they'll also put in an FM digital repeater for GNR.

They're not going to do that. GNR is already covering the market for no listeners on 95.3 HD-2.

December 31, 2021 9:33 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

I expect when Corus adds digital FM to CFNY and/or Q-107 they'll also put in an FM digital repeater for GNR.

They're not going to do that. GNR is already covering the market for no listeners on 95.3 HD-2.

Good catch, I missed that. So all the major AMs have FM digital repeaters - all that has to happen now is for FM digital to become a "must carry" feature in cars. 

December 31, 2021 9:46 pm  #11

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Good catch, I missed that. So all the major AMs have FM digital repeaters - all that has to happen now is for FM digital to become a "must carry" feature in cars. 

Which also won't happen.

This whole idea of AM stations finding future audiences through HD or low-power second-adjacent repeaters is full 'Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.' Current AM stations will only find a short-term lifeline on full-power FM signals, either though de-regulation or market forces killing existing music formats. 

December 31, 2021 9:59 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Which also won't happen.

This whole idea of AM stations finding future audiences through HD or low-power second-adjacent repeaters is full 'Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.' Current AM stations will only find a short-term lifeline on full-power FM signals, either though de-regulation or market forces killing existing music formats. 

Yeah, I was being slightly sarcastic. Still, I'm not as pessimistic. If a big state like California required cars to include FM HD as a feature it'll become standard and it's certainly not out of the question Congress would be successfully lobbied by large media companies to make it a requirement. It's not Republican Congressmen, for instance, are really going to be hostile to the idea of requiring automakers to make Conservative talk radio  more available. 

December 31, 2021 10:13 pm  #13

It doesn't matter if it's in 100% of new cars. It's too late. 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink', as the saying goes.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but I'm of an age where I'm making a great living from the industry, but I don't expect to be able to retire doing so. If you're not realistic and making other plans, you're in trouble.

January 1, 2022 1:52 pm  #14

torontostan wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

To add another complexity: the CRTC considers CFZM-FM to be a full station as it relates to the commission's common ownership policy. Therefore CBC, Rogers, Bell, and Corus would not be allowed to add repeaters in Toronto (even if only 100 watts). If I recall correctly, even the CRTC Chair disagreed with the rest of the commission and published a dissent of sorts, but it didn't undue the damage. I think that was one of the nails in the coffin for AM in this city. Don't forget that our streetcar lines make AM unlistenable in much of the city.

I think repeaters are the only practical way to put off the inevitable death of AM. Bell or CHIN could use 101.3, Rogers could use 97.5, Corus could use 107.5, etc. Not saying that wouldn't be without its technical challenges (especially the CN tower stations) but it's worth looking into and getting engineers involved. Way more people would listen on an FM repeater than an HD subchannel on a different station. 

There may be two possible frequencies for low power FM repeaters, but the frequencies you cited, cannot work.  101.3 is licensed to CJSA which runs at the highest power permitted but it is short-spaced to other assignments. 97.5 is first adjacent to 97.3 Boom Toronto. Not going to happen.  In some cities ISED and the CRTC has permitted 2nd adjacent frequencies.  CFZM (96.3) operates on the 2nd adjacent frequency to CFZM (96.7).  But for an applicant to use the 2nd adjacent frequency - requires the consent of the incumbent station (e.g. 96.3).   CKDO also obtained permission from CFMZ to increase power from the same location, for their repeater.  That application was not approved by the CRTC, because you must demonstrate continued financial losses, and no increase in coverage area in order to obtain a Nested FM frequency.  That CRTC requirement has been tightened significantly in the past few years.  Regarding CFZM's 82 watt repeater at 96.3. It was Raj Shoan, the CRTC commissioner who was removed from his position by the Minister of Heritage, who wrote the dissent, arguing that the 82 watt repeater should not dis-entitle MZ Media from obtaining an additional FM frequency.  But that of course is moot since there are no frequencies that will "work", in terms of significant power/coverage given short spacing to the US. and other Canadian cities.  Even in BC, it was a multi-year battle to secure an 85 watt repeater frequency for CKYE, even though its signal was severely impacted from IBOC - 1st adjacent frequency interference from KISM which is a 50 KW flamethrower from Bellingham, WA, which is located just across the border from Vancouver.  I would speculate that if Durham Radio applied today for a syncronous repeater on 95.9 - from FCP, the CRTC would deny that application under its constantly changing "policies".  There is a totally different regulatory system in Canada that discourages FM repeaters for AM radio.  Last point, Canadian broadcasters have done a  terrible job "promoting" their AMs which use  HD-2 or HD-3 of their FM signals.  I don't recall hearing an on air promotion, but there are plenty of on-air promotions for streaming devices such as Alexa, Google etc.  I suspect that station management is banking on on-line streamng in the home, or perhaps they think they will be wide-spread adoption of streaming platform in connected vehicles - via TuneIn apps, etc.  I'm not certain I would bet the farm on streaming in cars...just yet.

Last edited by tvguy (January 1, 2022 1:59 pm)

January 1, 2022 2:19 pm  #15

Honestly, I would have thought that streaming would have been the future for all these radio stations. Forget nested FM repeaters or HD radio.

January 1, 2022 2:38 pm  #16

If that's the case why bother having AM or even FM signals at all?

January 1, 2022 3:06 pm  #17

tvguy wrote:

Last point, Canadian broadcasters have done a  terrible job "promoting" their AMs which use  HD-2 or HD-3 of their FM signals.  I don't recall hearing an on air promotion, but there are plenty of on-air promotions for streaming devices such as Alexa, Google etc.  I suspect that station management is banking on on-line streamng in the home, or perhaps they think they will be wide-spread adoption of streaming platform in connected vehicles - via TuneIn apps, etc.  I'm not certain I would bet the farm on streaming in cars...just yet.

Why would they spend much effort promoting something that has no real future or revenue increase?  Once vehicles have built in cellular "nodes" (which many already have) then streaming becomes a no brainer (along with updating your Navi system, vehicle software patches, and reporting vehicle status back to you and the dealer)

ED1 wrote:

Honestly, I would have thought that streaming would have been the future for all these radio stations. Forget nested FM repeaters or HD radio.

yup  and streaming comes with some form of paid subscription whether it is for the data service or a subscription to the content itself  (one of the reasons Sirus/XM beat out DAB)

Hansa wrote:

If that's the case why bother having AM or even FM signals at all?

As long as you can make money, why not keep it going?  Once it becomes financially untenable, its gone

People don't care about AM or FM.  They care about content.