sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2021 10:03 am  #1

CHUM Veteran Duff Roman Named To The Order Of Canada

He's a broadcasting veteran and now he's got another honour - Dave Mostoway, aka Duff Roman, has been named as one of the recipients of the Order of Canada. (I found it hilarious that the official government list shows his name as "Duff David Mostoway Roman of Niagara-on-the-Lake.")

It's a well-deserved plaudit. Roman was instrumental in CHUM's success, and he also spent time at CKFH, as well as starting his own record company that boosted Canadian artists long before there were any CanCon rules. So congrats to this broadcasting veteran. It's long overdue!

Duff isn't the only radio/TV guy to get into this exclusive club. The CBC's Bob McKeown, co-host of the "The Fifth Estate," is also now made to Order. An article on the CBC's website reveals something I never knew, since I don't really follow football. Before he went into broadcasting, he won a Grey Cup as a centre for the Ottawa Rough Riders in 1973. Talk about a huge career change! At 71, he's still on the air doing the show every week. Pretty amazing. 

Fifth Estate co-host Bob McKeown appointed to the Order of Canada

December 29, 2021 10:31 am  #2

Re: CHUM Veteran Duff Roman Named To The Order Of Canada

Back in the summer of 1970, several of my high school friends and I arranged a tour of our then favourite radio station CKFH. Duff Roman was doing his shift during our tour and we were able to speak with him for a few minutes during a commercial break. He even let us introduce the first song out of the break, which was "Rubber Duckie"

December 29, 2021 12:03 pm  #3

Duff Roman's first ever appearance on a CKFH chart - Feb. 12, 1970.

December 29, 2021 12:48 pm  #4

Here's the official reason for his award:

"For his contributions to the Canadian music industry as a broadcaster and executive, and for his steadfast promotion of Canadian talent."

December 29, 2021 11:42 pm  #5

Spoke with Duff this afternoon and he is elated.  Could not be happier for my longtime friend.  Duff and I started at CHUM a month apart - he in January 1965 and me a month later.  We worked a couple of hundred weekend shifts together over the 2 years I was a board operator.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (December 29, 2021 11:43 pm)

January 8, 2022 8:16 pm  #6

The Star is very late with this story, but there are a few nuggets of new info in it. Among them: an upcoming re-release of some of the broadcaster's Roman Records hits that haven't been widely available for decades. 

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/08/broadcasting-legend-duff-roman-appointed-to-order-of-canada.html