sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2021 12:55 pm  #1

Would You Watch A TV Entertainment Show Just Because It's Live?

The question comes up because it's becoming more and more clear to me that the major TV networks think the answer may be "yes." The two latest examples - NBC endlessly promoting its live broadcast of the musical "Annie," with Harry Connick Jr. and Empire's Taraji P. Henson in the lead. It airs Thursday night on NBC, and other than it being live, I doubt that it would ever make that network. 

Then there's next Tuesday's "Live Before A Studio Audience" on ABC, which will use all-star casts to recreate "The Facts of Life" and "Diff'rent Strokes," all done as it happens before real people. (A second live version will be performed for the west coast.) I never watched either of those shows when they were on, but I have to admit seeing a grown-up Kevin Hart playing the old Gary Coleman role is certainly a curiosity. 

Earlier this year, The Connors also did a live effort in EST and PST on ABC for its first show of the season. 

The question: does the fact that it's live (and therefore prone to possible on-air mistakes) make it more likely you'll watch it just because of that? In my case, the answer is no. If the material isn't of interest to me, the "live danger without a net," won't get me to tune in. 

But clearly the major networks think differently because they're doing this more often every year. Would the live gimmick make you more likely to watch a show you would otherwise not care about? 

December 2, 2021 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Would You Watch A TV Entertainment Show Just Because It's Live?

Does this mean they won't be using a delay so they can easily dump if they need to?

Does this mean they won't be running the dress-rehearsal concurrently a la SNL in case they need something do dump to?

In this day and age, they need to keep their asses covered.  The days of doing it "without a net" are long gone.  Especially in prime time.

If by chance they're not employing any of the above methods and something does go wrong, you can be sure there will enough folks recording it to make sure the special moments are preserved forever. 

As for me, unless I'm in front of the TV and have nothing else to do, It won't be appointment viewing.  But I am curious how the Kevin Hart as Arnold thing will work.

December 2, 2021 3:15 pm  #3

YES. & I will also buy the products advertised. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 2, 2021 3:36 pm  #4

It's funny how the more things change, etc. TV shows in the 50s were almost all done live and while there were the occasional mistakes and ad libs, it was pretty much nothing special. Now it's a gimmick to get your attention. It's like those people who go to a car race waiting for a spectacular crash. No one really wants to see that, of course, but...

December 3, 2021 11:03 am  #5

I have zero interest in the latest "Live" broadcasts so I won't be watching. I did watch the live Conners episode not because it was live. I simply enjoy the series.

December 3, 2021 11:21 am  #6

I also watched that Connors, and for the same reasons you cite. However, I will admit to watching it twice that week - the east and later the west coast feed, just to see if there were any differences in the script or the performances. Both were pretty similar, with a few subtle changes. 

I remember the Drew Carey Show used to do at least one live episode every year and it was always different enough between the two time zones. I believe it was one of the first to do this kind of live stunting and the ratings were always good whenever they did it. 

December 3, 2021 2:45 pm  #7

What were the "subtle changes" between the east and west coast Conner's episode?

December 3, 2021 3:32 pm  #8

Just a word or two in the script, nothing major. But they had some sort of weird contest that was different. If you remember the episode, one of the characters was "visiting" distant Conner relatives via his iPad, supposedly for a school assignment. The winners of the contest got to appear on that night's live show as those long lost relations. The two or three people they used on the west coast show were all different than the folks who got on the eastern feed. 

And since it was live and the personalities weren't all the same, they were asked different questions and had separate interactions between the two shows. Other than that, the script and the plots were the same. 

December 7, 2021 6:31 pm  #9

If you plan to watch this live show Tuesday night, be sure NOT to skip the promos during the commercials. As in events past, ABC spots promoting new shows will look like they did in the 80s - complete with a sound-a-like announcer that manages to perfectly channel the late great Ernie Anderson.

All the promos have been produced especially to be throwbacks. It's a nice touch, given the era they're recreating. Here are a few samples:

December 7, 2021 10:42 pm  #10

Followed by...the "raw tape" version of Abbott Elementary. lol
Interesting to learn what a TV show sounds like when they accidentally leave the audio of a noisy school full of kids running and forget to turn the mic on for each Teacher when they speak. 

December 7, 2021 11:56 pm  #11

So it wasn't just me. I had to turn on the closed captioning to follow what was going on. I was going to ask "how in the hell did that happen on a major TV network?" when I went looking for stories about it. There weren't any. I suspect the problem - whatever it was - was at the local Buffalo affiliate. I don't think it aired that way across the entire network or it would be a huge story. 

But what a shame for KB. They likely had a pretty big audience from the live show before, only to see them all go away when they aired a program with no real sound. 

December 8, 2021 8:49 am  #12

Loved the rolling lines on the Kimmel promo. Brings back fond memories of co-channel interference and potential DX possibilities.

December 8, 2021 9:08 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

So it wasn't just me. I had to turn on the closed captioning to follow what was going on. I was going to ask "how in the hell did that happen on a major TV network?" when I went looking for stories about it. There weren't any. I suspect the problem - whatever it was - was at the local Buffalo affiliate. I don't think it aired that way across the entire network or it would be a huge story. 

But what a shame for KB. They likely had a pretty big audience from the live show before, only to see them all go away when they aired a program with no real sound. 

The CTV sim sub for Queens was late starting.  Queens also started incorrectly, with no audio for those who spoke. 
Then the CTV sim sub kicked in and Canadian viewers were at least able to watch Queens correctly.
Buffalo viewers however, were stuck with a local ABC problem, I guess. 
Not sure what went wrong...