sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2021 10:49 am  #1

CBC's 18 words you can't say

Blackmail and black sheep are among the non-nos...

https://outline.com/7gwNdR

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 1, 2021 10:52 am  #2

Re: CBC's 18 words you can't say

Is this broadcast policy at the Corpse? No?

December 1, 2021 10:53 am  #3

Jerry Agar did a hilarious rant about this ridiculous CBC article at the top of his show on Wednesday. I know some here hate him, but even they would be hard pressed to disagree with what he said.

December 1, 2021 11:22 am  #4

A number of years ago, I built a corporate e-mail spam filter (people were complaining about getting 10 spams a day!  Oh No!) that employed a blacklist/whitelist for e-mail addresses.  Those terms were used in the e-mails that were sent to prospective e-mailers.  Took me a few hours to create.

Within a couple of weeks, I got a complaint from one of the higher-ups that the terms "blacklist" and "whitelist" were unacceptable and that I had to change it.  I did, but I made damn sure I took my sweet time doing it.  Easiest week I had.

And this is years before "woke" was a thing.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 1, 2021 11:24 am)

December 1, 2021 12:50 pm  #5

I somehow doubt this is internal policy. If it was then it would be noteworthy in this forum. Instead, it looks like denture-rattling 'culture war' clickbait filler. Methinks Ajar and his Postmedia compatriots got played.

December 1, 2021 12:52 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

Blackmail and black sheep are among the non-nos...

https://outline.com/7gwNdR

*sigh* & the 1st line in the article: "In an age in which many on the left seem to be constantly trying to outdo one another in their endless quest to find racism and offence in even the most mundane aspects of society and language .."

Guess one could counter with ".. In an age in which many on the right seem to continue to lower the bar of civil discourse .. "

People really need to stop looking for a reason to be outraged.  Personally, I think it would be better that those on both the far left & far right fade into the background .. time for the moderate, rationale centre majority to re-take prominence.

December 1, 2021 12:57 pm  #7

I can't tell you how often I've asked the question in the last few years: whatever happened to the people in the middle? Nice to see I'm not the only one who's wondered. 

December 1, 2021 12:57 pm  #8

Cue the seasonal "War against Christmas" rant. 

December 1, 2021 2:10 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I can't tell you how often I've asked the question in the last few years: whatever happened to the people in the middle? Nice to see I'm not the only one who's wondered. 

Most Canadians are in the middle.  However our news media and media in general (left and right) usually aren't.  They dwell too much on conflict, or look for disagreement however trivial.  Also they give groups and causes that most people are not interested in a lot of exposure and air time.  Dwell too much on meaningless issues that don't have any effect on 98% of their audience, but try to elevate these minor and mostly unimportant topics with more airtime and discussion than they deserve. 

Just listen to a press conference and the inane antagonistic questions that reporters ask.  Or pose a reworked question that was answered already.  I have nothing against the Green Party per se, but I always wondered why they were treated as an equal to the Liberals, Conservatives or NDP by the media.  I couldn't believe the amount of air time that Elizabeth May was given by our media, when she had zero chance of forming a government and only winning one or two seats.  Liz was on the evening news or a guest on various news programs far more than warranted.  Especially when she was a party of one seat in the House of Commons. 

December 1, 2021 7:22 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

I somehow doubt this is internal policy. If it was then it would be noteworthy in this forum. Instead, it looks like denture-rattling 'culture war' clickbait filler. Methinks Ajar and his Postmedia compatriots got played.

The  story originated on the CBC web site.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/words-and-phrases-commonly-used-offensive-english-language-1.6252274?cmp=rss

December 1, 2021 7:27 pm  #11

Dale Patterson wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/words-and-phrases-commonly-used-offensive-english-language-1.6252274?cmp=rss

It's an opinion piece, it's not CBC policy. 

December 1, 2021 11:28 pm  #12

Hansa wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

With input from readers.  In other words Agar missed the point and made a way bigger deal of this than was necessary.   

December 1, 2021 11:40 pm  #13

Hansa wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Give them time. 

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 1, 2021 11:41 pm)

December 2, 2021 11:05 am  #14

Amazingly, Rex Murphy is also treating this opinion piece as if it was CBC policy - even though he was CBC's resident bloviator on the National for years. Does he think the commentaries he did on the National were official CBC policy?