sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2021 8:22 pm  #1

Leadership Change at Newstalk 1010

From Twitter

https://twitter.com/yyzsportsmedia/status/1461125236590448641?t=8dEJv43QA0B5MTMBQhuB6Q&s=19

Last edited by leafs67 (November 17, 2021 8:22 pm)

never worked ever, in radio

November 17, 2021 8:28 pm  #2

Re: Leadership Change at Newstalk 1010

So let me get this straight - the P.D. behind TSN 1050, one of the lowest rated radio stations in the city (it regularly gets, what, a 0.1 in most books?), gets the plum position at CFRB (in addition to his regular duties?)

I don't know the guy and I'm sure he's talented and I have no idea what led to Bendixen's ouster, but does this make sense to anyone?

November 17, 2021 8:32 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I don't know the guy and I'm sure he's talented and I have no idea what led to Bendixen's ouster, but does this make sense to anyone?

Take the names and ratings out, then combine with this and you have your answer:

In its latest [i]BCE quarterly report, Media segment revenue grew 14.5%, reflecting higher advertiser spending across all platforms and a 32% increase in digital revenue, which now represents 22% of total media revenue. Media operating revenue was also up 14.5% in Q3 to $719 million, driven by increased ad spending across TV, radio, out of home and digital media platforms as the economy continues to recover from COVID-19.[/i]

November 18, 2021 12:05 am  #4

Mike is a great programmer, and actually cares about his product and people.  That is in direct conflict with how Bell media operates.

November 18, 2021 9:18 am  #5

Apparently it's not just at NT1010. A source I know is saying there may also have been cuts at Bell stations in both Hamilton and St Catharines. Anyone know who those affected? (Is there going to be anyone left at any Bell stations? How many firings does it take to satisfy this company?) 

November 18, 2021 12:17 pm  #6

Broadcast Dialogue has a few updates on the latest rounds of terminations at Bell. 

Bell Media makes new round of layoffs

November 18, 2021 9:19 pm  #7

From the above Broadcast Dialogue piece:

>> part of this round of cuts is Greg MacDonald, Regional Creative and Production Director for Bell Media Southwest Ontario, for both radio and television. MacDonald had been with Bell since 2014 and in his current role since 2015. He previously spent 17 years as a senior producer with Toronto’s 98.1 CHFI before moving into the Hamilton market as a Production Creative Director for Corus Radio. <<

Good man. Worked with Greg at CHFI. Solid resume right there!

November 19, 2021 10:07 am  #8

I wonder if Greg Macdonald gets a small pay increase for his added responsibilities, or he just "remains employed" Probably the latter.

November 19, 2021 10:39 am  #9

mace wrote:

I wonder if Greg Macdonald gets a small pay increase for his added responsibilities, or he just "remains employed" Probably the latter.

Greg was one of the people cut... so I think there is a misunderstanding. 

November 19, 2021 10:47 am  #10

The mix-up is certainly understandable.

Greg MacDonald was let go. Jeff MacDonald from TSN 1050 was promoted to take care of Bendixen's old job. Too many MacDonalds. Although in Bell's case, there's sadly now one less. 

November 20, 2021 11:48 pm  #11

Must have been a tougher and tougher job for Mike Bendixon to tackle. When he started there, he had a strong award winning newsroom that made news as well as reported it, and lots of enviable on-air and production talent. He was told to decimate his newsroom, make cut upon cut, and let's face it, it was only going to get worse. Wonder if he finally intimated or outright said to his bosses, enough is enough if you want a decent product that people will tune into.

I didn't always agree with his moves, but he deserved a better fate. Bet he resurfaces somewhere doing something smart and forward thinking.

Totally off the wall idea: Ryan Doyle gets named the new brand manager/PD of CFRB Newstalk 1010.

November 21, 2021 12:16 am  #12

I've already noticed one change - they appear to have eliminated the 5:45 PM "Roundtable" that used to air as part of The Rush every night. Whether that was planned before Bendixen's departure isn't clear, but it seems to have started (or stopped, if you prefer) last Thursday, just after he left. I'm actually a bit surprised by the segment's apparent cancellation, because it had been there for years. 

Still, 640 is doing the same thing at the exact same time (although their "Topics Worthy Of Discussion" panel starts about 10 minutes earlier.) So perhaps the duplication of format wasn't helping hours tuned at that time. Hard to say, but it was the only real segment of CFRB's afternoon show I actually liked.

November 21, 2021 6:21 am  #13

As I wrote in August 2013, eight years ago it was only the beginning.