sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2016 11:26 am  #1

CRTC Says No As Moses Tries To Reduce His TV Can Con Commitment

The CRTC has rejected a bid by Moses Znaimer's Vision TV to reduce the amount of Canadian programming it's forced to air as a condition of licence. At present, Vision has to show at least 387 hours of Great White North-produced content per year.

But Vision now claims that when it loses must carry status at the end of its licence term in 2020, it "will need to re-focus its programming to remain competitive and attract subscribers."

But the Commission didn't buy the argument and told them to keep to, you should pardon the expression, their original Vision.

Nice try, though.

Many here will remember a year ago when Moses threatened to let AM 740 go dark if he wasn't given a downtown FM repeater for his interference-prone station (whose relatively new stereo signal just happens to reach a lot farther than downtown. Go figure.) The CRTC caved to that threat but on Tuesday, they said no to this new request and the Canadian requirement of his licence will carry on.

In other news, does anyone actually watch Vision TV? 

Vision TV must keep Can Con commitment 

Last edited by RadioActive (April 12, 2016 11:31 am)

April 12, 2016 12:14 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Says No As Moses Tries To Reduce His TV Can Con Commitment

Vision TV? Not too long ago it was the home of old Murder she wrote reruns. Yup. Some good shows found there...naturally though, it's not me watching-it's my mother. They have a strong "Zoomer" following. Maybe they should just launch a "Zoomer" TV and put Vision TV to rest. 
(They may need to apply for a new broadcast licence though...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 12, 2016 12:31 pm  #3

I was never entirely sure why Moses, of all people, would take over a primarily religious network whose condition of licence forced him to air faith-based programming. This is as far a cry from his City TV philosophy as you can get. Perhaps he was just anxious to keep his hand in the TV biz, but Vision seems like the last thing he'd want in his stable. 

You may be right. I suspect he was trying to slowly but surely reorient the type of presentations he's forced to show, by arguing things like "The Waltons" meets the criteria, because the family occasionally prays before eating dinner. A bit of a stretch but it's certainly been done before. Although how shows like "Ironside," "Murder She Wrote" and "Marcus Welby" manage to fill that mandate is beyond me.

Last edited by RadioActive (April 12, 2016 12:32 pm)

April 12, 2016 2:37 pm  #4

Well, considering what happened to CTS... (Now Yes TV)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 12, 2016 4:33 pm  #5

Call me crazy (won't be the first or last time) but is the foregoing about religious programming or Cdn Content?     If the latter, and assuming the AM 740 crowd is Vision's audience, how about digging up:
 - Don Messer's Jubilee
 - Beachcombers
 - Tommy Hunter
 - Wayne & Shuster
 - Juliette
 - Quentin Durgens, MP
 - King of Kensington (a.k.a. Tom's Place)
 - Front Page Challenge
 - This Hour Has Seven Days

G.

April 12, 2016 5:00 pm  #6

Actually, I'll bet if the CBC offered up a lot of these old chestnuts, perhaps online, with ads inserted in the commercial breaks (like they already do for current programming) that might attract a surprisingly high number of viewers and even generate some revenue.

There are probably some arcane ACTRA agreements that would prevent this, though.

April 12, 2016 5:22 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

....that might attract a surprisingly high number of viewers and even generate some revenue.

You're probably right, but my god there's some cringe-worthy stuff on that list. Mind you, in the middle of a January blizzard, when even the dog sled is snowed in....maybe.

April 12, 2016 5:25 pm  #8

More:
 - Cannonball
 - Tugboat Annie
 - the Plouffe Family

April 12, 2016 5:44 pm  #9

Wojeck.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 12, 2016 6:14 pm  #10

One should think that Znaimer would offer to buy us a beer or at least send an AM 740 fridge magnet for all this free programming advice, wouldn't you?

April 18, 2016 10:22 am  #11

Vision was much better before Moses took it over and decided to make Conrad Black a star.