sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2021 2:27 am  #1

Brad McNally

This is not an easy post for me to be making....

Some of you will remember Brad McNally for the 80's period of CFNY. Many will remember his creative and leading Sunday evening program Eclectic Spirit. A show that found it's way into many corners of life at the time. Brad was also a driving force when it came to the song - Workin' On The Radio. Some of the musicians on that session were Domenic Troiano, a few from Teenage Head, and others. It is available on Spotify if you wish to hear it.

A few weeks back we did a big 2 hour Zoom Event for Brad. Many of the CFNY-FM DJs, and a wonderful gathering of his fans all Zooming together for Brad. Great stories were told and much happiness. That event was recorded and sent to Brad's wife. During the past few weeks Brad has been watching that recording of the event. From that video Brad knew how much he was loved and respected by both those of us who worked with him and the many fans who grew up listening to him. 

Brad put on his wings earlier today at his home in Australia. He will be missed by many.Good Night Brad. Godspeed.

https://www.radiotoday.com.au/best-music-always-found-fringes-brad-mcnally-radio-culture/

November 7, 2021 10:52 am  #2

Re: Brad McNally

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of a friend and such a versatile radio guy. They are becoming increasingly harder to find. My sympathies to you and his family. 

November 7, 2021 6:39 pm  #3

Re: Brad McNally

A nice tribute to McNally on an Australian media site. It appears he was as well respected there as he was here.

Remembering Brad McNally: Friends and colleagues pay tribute to radio great

The same site also links to an old but terrific interview with him, done by the legendary Dave Charles. There's the story of how he ended up at CFNY, along with a picture of the ageless Mr. Marsden. Also, some great memories of growing up with Southern Ontario radio stations and how a Canadian kid made good in Australia, of all places. All-in-all, a fun read and a nice tribute to the late radio pro, including this gem from a station he was involved with in Finland:

"I was listening, I heard a sweeper in English, with a sexy female voice that said: ‘I’m freshly showered, freshly fucked and ready to rock’. I almost had a heart attack when I heard this. But they told me that ‘fuck’ was just a movie word in Finland and it didn’t mean anything to them. Hmmmm. Practise patience, I reminded myself."

Brad McNally: The Exit Interview