sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2021 9:03 pm  #1

Will You Be Able To Watch Primetime Shows On Buffalo TV Tuesday?

Tuesday is a big election day in New York state, including the bitter race for the mayor of Buffalo. I can only hope there won't be significant interruptions on local Buffalo stations during primetime to cover or update the races. So far, I haven't seen anything that might indicate that, but you never know. 

This may be the first time I'll also record the Canadian simulcasts, just in case. 

November 3, 2021 8:55 am  #2

Re: Will You Be Able To Watch Primetime Shows On Buffalo TV Tuesday?

The Buffalo stations will probably run a scroll across the bottom of the screen. If they do, would that be enough to kill the Canadian simsub for the evening?

November 3, 2021 10:30 am  #3

I was a bit surprised they didn't do more, but hey, I guess primetime is more important than the mayor and other races. What's interesting is how in Toronto on an election night, while a few stations choose to stay with regular programming and then opt for a one or two hour summary special (like City TV did during the last federal election) most of the CTVs, CBCs and Globals tend to do primetime specials with numbers as they come in and expert analysis of what it all means.

The American stations seem to reserve this for the battle for the White House. But the local races just get an in-between commercials update and back they go to regular network programming. 

And by the way, while I don't often pay attention to this kind of thing, the Buffalo Mayor's race had an astounding finish. The woman nominated by the Democrats was defeated by a guy who wasn't even technically on the ballot! Longtime Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown staged a "write my name in" campaign, a tactic that almost never works. Except for last night, when it did. What an amazing story that is.

November 3, 2021 5:58 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

the Buffalo Mayor's race had an astounding finish. The woman nominated by the Democrats was defeated by a guy who wasn't even technically on the ballot! Longtime Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown staged a "write my name in" campaign, a tactic that almost never works. Except for last night, when it did. What an amazing story that is.

Perhaps the luckiest part of this is the guys name, or rather what it rhymes with!
"Write Down Byron Brown" was a tremendously effective slogan. 

November 4, 2021 3:03 pm  #5

The question might be does anyone watch primetime shows on Buffalo TV??  Just looking at the ratings for Tuesday primetime from ShowBuzz.  You have to wonder if anyone is watching OTA network prime time in some smaller US cities and markets..
Queen's on ABC had 1.159 million viewers age 2+.  ABC has 208 affiliates and owned stations. The total audience divided by the number of stations equals 5,573 viewers per station.  Now I know that this is not 
how ratings are measured. Large centres like New York, LA, Chicago, Miami etc. will have many many more viewers than 5,573.  However this also means that smaller markets and affiliates could have almost no audience for a show like Queen's and many others from Tuesday evening.  Even scarier for CW network.  Supergirl at 9pm, 402,000 viewers with 228 affiliates.   That's an average of 1,763 viewers per station!   Is anyone watching these shows off air in the smaller markets?

So you know- CBS has 243 owned and affiliated stations, NBC 235 and FOX clocks in with 245.

November 4, 2021 9:19 pm  #6

How many more people are watching those same shows on streaming platforms and the network websites? We’re gonna come to a point where those numbers are more important than the daily ratings.

November 4, 2021 9:55 pm  #7

And indeed, they're already factored into the ratings. Generally, networks will look at not only the on-air numbers but three days to a week's worth of streaming to judge a show's real popularity. That's why some shows that appear marginal at best in the numbers get renewed, because they're attracting eyeballs on the web - and the right demos, too. 

November 4, 2021 11:12 pm  #8

But the streaming platforms and network websites do nothing for the smaller affiliates like Buffalo, Tulsa or Rochester, who can't be getting many viewers in prime time.  The numbers will be higher naturally when streaming is included and that helps the national network total viewership and helps a show with very marginal ratings.  But the fact remains for the smaller affiliates, not a lot of people are actually watching many of the shows in prime time.  And even when streaming or delayed viewing is added in, the ratings for the big four networks for prime time programming is not great.  Football and some special event or live programming does much better than many of the scripted series programs overall.

November 4, 2021 11:44 pm  #9

From Broadcasting & Cable Magazine:

“Network buys are part of larger buys now — they buy the streaming service in addition to the network. The networks are rolling out shows more year-round, and the alternative networks are dropping shows 52 weeks a year.

”Broadcast network executives acknowledge their diminished role in the modern TV landscape, but insist the traditional season isn’t disappearing any time soon. “People like knowing that something special and new is coming,” said Bruce Helford, executive producer of ABC comedy The Conners. “Knowing a new season is coming is like knowing when the new cars come out. It allows people to gather their excitement and plan on watching something special.”

Why the Traditional TV Season Still (Mostly) Matters

November 5, 2021 12:49 am  #10

paterson1 wrote:

But the streaming platforms and network websites do nothing for the smaller affiliates like Buffalo, Tulsa or Rochester, who can't be getting many viewers in prime time.  The numbers will be higher naturally when streaming is included and that helps the national network total viewership and helps a show with very marginal ratings.  But the fact remains for the smaller affiliates, not a lot of people are actually watching many of the shows in prime time.  And even when streaming or delayed viewing is added in, the ratings for the big four networks for prime time programming is not great.  Football and some special event or live programming does much better than many of the scripted series programs overall.

That's why some non-network owned NBC affiliates didn't show the 30 Rock reunion when it was on because it heavily promoted Peacock which will cannibalize their viewership.

November 5, 2021 10:46 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

From Broadcasting & Cable Magazine:

“Network buys are part of larger buys now — they buy the streaming service in addition to the network. The networks are rolling out shows more year-round, and the alternative networks are dropping shows 52 weeks a year.

”Broadcast network executives acknowledge their diminished role in the modern TV landscape, but insist the traditional season isn’t disappearing any time soon. “People like knowing that something special and new is coming,” said Bruce Helford, executive producer of ABC comedy The Conners. “Knowing a new season is coming is like knowing when the new cars come out. It allows people to gather their excitement and plan on watching something special.”

Why the Traditional TV Season Still (Mostly) Matters

All that is fine but not what I was talking about. The headline of this post was Will You Be Able To Watch Primetime Shows on Buffalo TV Tuesday?  My point was it looks like the question could be Does Anyone Watch Primetime Shows on Buffalo TV? 

It seems that many of the prime time programming could have next to no viewers in some of the smaller markets when comparing the viewer ratings and the number of affiliated stations running the program.  I know streaming, delayed viewing and all of the rest comes later and increases the national ratings.  So a show like Queen's on ABC had 1.159 million viewers when it aired on Tuesday according to the overnight ratings.  Over the next 4 or 5 days if we add in streaming and delayed viewing. That episode from Tuesday could have another 2 million viewers for example.  So the total in this case would be 3.159 viewers this week for Queen's which still better but still a brutally low rating for a network prime time show. 

The streaming viewership that came later is not on WKBW and doesn't help the local stations that much or any local advertising that ran originally.  The delayed viewing helps the station as long as it wasn't recorded specifically by the viewer on PVR with the ability to rifle through the commercials.  With Bell you have about 30 hours to still watch most shows even if you haven't recorded the program, but you can't skip through the commercials, or fast forward.  

Last edited by paterson1 (November 5, 2021 10:47 am)

November 5, 2021 5:33 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

The question might be does anyone watch primetime shows on Buffalo TV??  Just looking at the ratings for Tuesday primetime from ShowBuzz.  You have to wonder if anyone is watching OTA network prime time in some smaller US cities and markets..
Queen's on ABC had 1.159 million viewers age 2+.  ABC has 208 affiliates and owned stations. The total audience divided by the number of stations equals 5,573 viewers per station.  Now I know that this is not 
how ratings are measured. Large centres like New York, LA, Chicago, Miami etc. will have many many more viewers than 5,573.  However this also means that smaller markets and affiliates could have almost no audience for a show like Queen's and many others from Tuesday evening.  Even scarier for CW network.  Supergirl at 9pm, 402,000 viewers with 228 affiliates.   That's an average of 1,763 viewers per station!   Is anyone watching these shows off air in the smaller markets?

So you know- CBS has 243 owned and affiliated stations, NBC 235 and FOX clocks in with 245.

Here's how the U.S. TV Guide handles the ratings list on a bi-weekly basis. Not very detailed and they leave out the demos. But for most of the American public, it's probably enough. This one is from the Nov. 8-21, 2021 issue. Notice it just covers "Watched Live."

November 5, 2021 5:47 pm  #13

I am sure Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News would be able to inform his readers as to how many viewers the local affiliates get during primetime.

November 5, 2021 6:28 pm  #14

mace wrote:

I am sure Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News would be able to inform his readers as to how many viewers the local affiliates get during primetime.

That's what I wish Toronto print media did, show the prime time numbers for the GTA, especially for local news which usually has some of the highest ratings.  CFTO used to take out full page ads in the Star for their BBM Nightbeat News ratings and would include all of the news ratings for all stations available in the GTA including Hamilton and Buffalo. 

RA that's what I was looking for, the top 30 broadcast shows in the US, even if it is only twice per month.  But those TV guide numbers confirm the live viewership as being very low for regular series programming in prime time and it does make you wonder about the prime time viewership in small television markets in the US. 

Six million live viewers for Chicago PD on NBC would average 25,532 viewers for the 235 stations in the network.  We know that in the major markets live viewership will be a lot higher than 25,532 but in some smaller markets it would be much lower than 25,532 viewers.  And of course the total for Chicago PD will be greater in total when streaming and delayed viewing is eventually added in.