sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2021 10:41 am  #1

Toronto Sun Turns 50 On Nov. 1st

It was one day after the Telegram folded and the Sun rose in Toronto media. 

I still have that original issue. What's really amazing about it (and the Star from that era as well) was just how physically big in size both newspapers were, despite one of them being a tabloid. I guess newsprint was a lot cheaper in those days. The comparison in size between then and now is hard to believe, but you really don't notice it until you see that first edition.

Toronto Sun Turns 50

November 1, 2021 10:47 am  #2

Re: Toronto Sun Turns 50 On Nov. 1st

I was a Telegram reader. I sure missed that paper. The Sun wasn't available where I was living. I tried the Star for a while, then settled on the Globe. Been reading the Globe ever since.

Now I'm considering switching to the Star. The Globe's quality has been going downhill in the past few years, since they became part of Bell Media.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 1, 2021 11:15 am  #3

The paper for those whose lips move when they read.

November 1, 2021 11:25 am  #4

At that time the Star and Tely published three daily editions. One would hit the streets around 10:30AM. The "Home" edition is what subscribers would receive just before dad came home from work. Then there was the "Final" edition which usually had a slightly different front page colour. It had any late breaking news plus the final stock market numbers. The rest of the paper was the same as previous editions. At one time the Globe published a very late night edition that was available around 11pm. The next morning edition would have updated news stories but sports scores were never updated. The Sun used to run two editions. A city edition, which had all west coast sports scores and a suburban edition which did not. Other than that, the two editions were identical.

November 1, 2021 11:30 am  #5

And let's not forget the disaster that was Sun TV! It didn't make it to its fourth birthday. 

November 1, 2021 2:15 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

I was a Telegram reader. I sure missed that paper. The Sun wasn't available where I was living. I tried the Star for a while, then settled on the Globe. Been reading the Globe ever since.

Now I'm considering switching to the Star. The Globe's quality has been going downhill in the past few years, since they became part of Bell Media.

We were a Telegram family as well.  We actually didn't like the Star at all after the Telly folded, and not real fans of the Sun either.  I believe Bell sold 85% of the Globe and Mail to Thomson's Woodbridge Holdings back in 2010 and Woodbridge bought the remaining 15% shares in 2015, so Bell is out of the picture. 

The Sun used to have a good Entertainment section but like all other Toronto papers not so much anymore.  They  always printed the local Toronto radio ratings, Somebody should do this again along with the local Toronto television news ratings.  I am sure readers would find it interesting. 

November 1, 2021 2:46 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

And let's not forget the disaster that was Sun TV! It didn't make it to its fourth birthday. 

But Sun TV did last longer than its predecessor "Toronto 1" / Craig Broadcasting...

November 1, 2021 2:56 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

They  always printed the local Toronto radio ratings, Somebody should do this again along with the local Toronto television news ratings.  I am sure readers would find it interesting. 

That was Gary Dunford's specialty, if I recall. Back in the pre-Internet days, his page 6 column in the Sun was one of the best places for people interested in that info to find it. Now you're lucky if you can even find any information or a mention of radio in any Toronto daily at all. 

November 2, 2021 6:56 am  #9

Speaking of the old Tely, (yes I remember it too, although I was just 8 when it folded) there is still a convenience store, Thomas Variety, near Lakeshore and Long Branch Avenue that still carries the Tely logo on its storefront sign.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/U9UrgB

My apologies to those who don't have the Google Earth app, but I'm too technically inept to capture a screenshot.

Last edited by Tq345 (November 2, 2021 7:11 am)

November 2, 2021 7:59 am  #10

Tq345 wrote:

Speaking of the old Tely, (yes I remember it too, although I was just 8 when it folded) there is still a convenience store, Thomas Variety, near Lakeshore and Long Branch Avenue that still carries the Tely logo on its storefront sign.

My apologies to those who don't have the Google Earth app, but I'm too technically inept to capture a screenshot.

Worked fine for me, but here's the shot:

November 2, 2021 8:45 am  #11

turkeytop wrote:

Bell sold most of the shares and all of its control to Woodbridge, an investment arm of The Thomson Family in 2010..  Bell has only 15 percent of the Globe now.  They sold off most of their Globe holdings to buy CTV and part of that deal was selling off most of the stake in The Globe.

November 2, 2021 9:41 am  #12

turkeytop wrote:

. . . I'm considering switching to the Star. The Globe's quality has been going downhill   

Conrad Black will be devastated upon reading this

November 3, 2021 8:12 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

Worked fine for me, but here's the shot:

Thanks for doing that RA. I read/post on SOWNY from my tablet and my Google Earth app doesn't seem to offer the screenshot option. Or I'm too ignorant to figure out how to do it.

Anyway, thanks for posting the picture. I check for that storefront sign every time I pass by. I'm amazed it's never been changed. I'm hoping it's because the store has had the same ownership for more than 50 years, and figure if it's not broke, don't fix it. I picture an aging Mom and Pop behind the counter constantly bickering about how Mom doesn't keep the magazine rack tidy and how Pop keeps rearranging the smokes.

November 3, 2021 10:01 am  #14

And don't forget telling those pesky kids to buy the comic books and not read them in the store! (That's what my guy kept doing back in the 60s!) 

As for getting the pic online, I simply took a print screen shot, edited it in IrfanView (a free photo editing software) and then used Imgbb to host it. It's the easiest way to get a Google Earth shot onto SOWNY, and a method I use all the time.