sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2021 10:30 am  #1

What Your Home VCR Might Have Looked Like If Things Had Been Different

I may have published this before, but I came across this TV Guide article from 1969 and it shows what the early prototypes of a home VCR might have looked like. It appears they planned some sort of "cartridge" type system that would have let you watch a prerecorded show - but not necessarily tape anything. That would have made them like the later laser disc player - all watch, no record. Those didn't last long as a result. 

I get a kick out of the fledgling product preview, indicating how it would have worked:

“The SV player will employ a laser beam and TV camera to translate holographic images from half-inch tape of the same plastic that meat is wrapped in at the supermarkets.” Which gives a whole new meaning to the term “TV dinner!" (And no, it didn't change the need for Pay TV, which also didn't exist at the time.) 

It's also somewhat ironic to note that as of the article date, both NBC and CBS were working on their own versions of a VCR-like machine - reminiscent of the battle the two raged for control of the colour TV system used in North America in the 50s. NBC won both those battles. In fact, my very first VCR was a SelectaVision. It appears the name was one of the few things they kept for what eventually emerged as the must have device for TV fanatics in the late 70s and 80s. 

October 29, 2021 11:43 am  #2

Re: What Your Home VCR Might Have Looked Like If Things Had Been Different

The first machine I ever bought, 1978:

I definitely didn't buy one of these, but I wonder if it actually worked: (1980)

October 29, 2021 12:12 pm  #3

Interesting second article pontificating on the Nielsen ratings for the start of the 1969-70 season. Leslie Uggams lasted 10 episodes on CBS thanks to Bonanza on NBC. Would CBS's Monday lineup take a drubbing? That would be a resounding no. Gunsmoke would finish 2nd, Lucy. 6th, Mayberry RFD 4th, Doris Day 10th and Carol Burnett 13th.

October 29, 2021 12:38 pm  #4

I always got a kick out of Arte Johnson, playing the German solider Wolfgang on Laugh-In, saying "Goodnight Lucy," as that show airing opposite her came to an end every week. A surreal moment and always funny because in those days, you NEVER mentioned the competition.